New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Haven't been to Peter Luger's in a long time--but my family used to go about once a year. The steak was always good.

On the other hand, Gage and Tollner's is about to re-open. It's a beautiful place. Hopefully, the food will make it worthwhile to go more than once.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Going to New York in a weeks time...

Any tips on a good not too cheap but not to expencive steakhouse near MSG ?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It was always overrated.
I agree, only to the extent that it was continually praised as being so much better than NYC’s many fine steakhouses, which was always a crock. That said, it was pretty freakin’ fantastic in the ‘90s. But it had already lost some of its specialness by the early ‘00s.

My favorite in recent years has bee the Smith & Wollensky Grill. NYC steakhouse food without the pretentiousness.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I agree, only to the extent that it was continually praised as being so much better than NYC’s many fine steakhouses, which was always a crock. That said, it was pretty freakin’ fantastic in the ‘90s. But it had already lost some of its specialness by the early ‘00s.

My favorite in recent years has bee the Smith & Wollensky Grill. NYC steakhouse food without the pretentiousness.

I'm not suggesting it is bad. But I don't think it is so good that it's worth the other hassles (getting there, cash only, mediocre staff). To me there are and have always been better steak houses.

Give me Keen's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Going to New York in a weeks time...

Any tips on a good not too cheap but not to expencive steakhouse near MSG ?
You will not go wrong at Keen's (and make sure you examine the names on the pipes). I would, however, go to Wolfgang's. Make sure you have the bacon at either place.

Oh, when swimming in those waters, there is no such thing as a not too expensive steakhouse in NY.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You will not go wrong at Keen's (and make sure you examine the names on the pipes). I would, however, go to Wolfgang's. Make sure you have the bacon at either place.

Oh, when swimming in those waters, there is no such thing as a not too expensive steakhouse in NY.
I never order steak at a restaurant unless it is a steakhouse. My favorite by far is delmonico's in las Vegas (I used to work next to the delmonicos downtown but the similarties stop at the name IMO). It doesn't hurt that they have the giant book of whiskey to go along with it - I've sampled many a fine dram from it. The only downside is that the waiters aren't always too well versed in its contents. I can't compare to Keens as I've never been there. I will have to try it one time before a ranger playoff game.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never order steak at a restaurant unless it is a steakhouse.
Essentially, I am the same way. If I am going to have a steak, then it should be at a place that is known for them. And when at a steakhouse, I am not the type to order the salmon.

Another excellent steak in NY can be found in M.Wells in LIC.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Essentially, I am the same way. If I am going to have a steak, then it should be at a place that is known for them. And when at a steakhouse, I am not the type to order the salmon.

Another excellent steak in NY can be found in M.Wells in LIC.

I made the mistake of ordering chicken at a steakhouse once in my life, 20+ years ago. Never again.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I haven't eaten at Luger's since the mid 2000s, but if this review is accurate, that's sad. That was such a great place for so long.

Wells can come off like a giant dick, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of this review is accurate. The service was never that friendly there to begin with. Plus with all the tourist business that place gets, they don't really care if you come back or not. However, if the steaks have really gone that far downhill, then there's no excuse, they deserve to hear about it.
It's accurate. The place has always been about no frills wait staff - curt old men with bloody aprons, very very much like the soup nazi. It's a type of "we're doing you a favor for paying us $100" attitude that eventually seeped onto the kitchen side and now it's not just the service that sucks it's also the food that's a complete rip off. The place is full of tourists now, it only survives on its past reputation.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
You can’t go wrong with Keens. And there really is no “not too expensive”. Uncle Jacks is also near the Garden on Ninth between 34 and 35.
Keens is excellent, but my go to meat place now is a Brazilian Rodizio, Churrascaria Plataforma. Oh my god what a f'n orgy of food it's my favorite restaurant in the entire city

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keens is excellent, but my go to meat place now is a Brazilian Rodizio, Churrascaria Plataforma. Oh my god what a f'n orgy of food it's my favorite restaurant in the entire city
The love of rodizio's has left me a while ago.

Almost every steakhouse houses business dinners. I will say that the two most innovative steak houses are M.Wells and Cote. The latter is sort of a Korean bbq concept wedded to a steak house. It is great and does not feel like you are sitting at Del Friscco's.

Reactions: Don Chytil

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
The love of rodizio's has left me a while ago.

Almost every steakhouse houses business dinners. I will say that the two most innovative steak houses are M.Wells and Cote. The latter is sort of a Korean bbq concept wedded to a steak house. It is great and does not feel like you are sitting at Del Friscco's.

The steak omakase at Cote is my favorite meal in the city right now. Highly recommend it.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Been meaning to try Cote. Also St. Anselm. I make a damn good steak at home so I avoid the restaurant markup unless it's really worth it. If I'm craving red meat out, it's usually in the form of a burger or Korean BBQ.

Best burgers for the buck I've had are:

1. Emily
2. Paul's Da Burger Joint
3. Raoul's off-menu bar burger

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Been meaning to try Cote. Also St. Anselm. I make a damn good steak at home so I avoid the restaurant markup unless it's really worth it. If I'm craving red meat out, it's usually the burger.

Best burgers for the buck I've had are:

1. Emily
2. Paul's Da Burger Joint
3. Raoul's off-menu bar burger
When at a steak house, I usually have work dinners to attend. Usually everyone can find something to eat.

Top steakhouses that do not feel like steakhouses (and you can eat things other than steak):

St. Anselm
Cote
M. Wells
Beatrice Inn (is it a real steakhouse though?)

Best burgers....wow....how far does the scale go? Top 7:

Brindle Room
Wallflower
DB Bistro
Gramercy Tavern
Le Rivage
Dram
Minetta Tavern

And a special shout out to Royale...no frills but great.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Technically about Westchester/Rockland but this seems like the best place for it:
FB_IMG_1573163606354.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad