Speculation: New vision

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
POHO is someone who has been involved with the game for at least 15 years. Understands how the game was, what it is now, and where it's going in the future. Someone calm and steady, who is committed to making a strong organization and team culture (think how the Bruins operate and Chara and Bergeron were in the room). This person will also hire the GM, and both of them pick the coaching staff.

Overall, I want the organization focused on drafting and development. Major emphasis on scouts (both amateur and pro), and Belleville. More community involvement and growth outside of Ottawa. This city will never match NYC, Florida, Cali or even Toronto/Vancouver when it comes to free agents...so drafting & development has to be our bread & butter. So lets embrace it!

I really want to see a strong culture of accountability here. A true team identity and standards and vision that sticks. None of this flip flopping from year to year...we're rebuilding, no, we're contending...no, rough first half, let's tear it down!...oh wait, good player on the market, let's get him and contend!...no, tear it down! crap.

Ottawa has always been a beans & potatoes kind of vibe when it comes to sports. We want good teams that work hard and are accountable. Yes, the fancypants stuff is welcome, but you need to also work up a sweat on the field/ice. Create a team that gives 100% every game.

And I haven't been following the C-level execs out ther emuch lately to toss out any names. All I know is, it's NOT former Sens players. We absolutely need people who have some managmeent experience under thier belt. No feel good nostalgia with little substance hires.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Well some experience for once would be nice

I think everyone that's saying Spezza is wearing their nostalgia goggles tonight, he may be a good GM one day but it's way too early

For GM, maybe somebody like Gillis or Shero, both have decent track records..

Coach, please for love of everything don't go bargain bin hunting

Babcock, Tippett, and Quenneville are all retired so no to them

Julien would be good, maybe AV as well, Trotz would be number one....there could be some good coaches available in the offseason as well

Nobody likes Babcock, we can post stuff about how he treated Marner, would that be better?
Meh, that's a non story in most hockey markets

Yeah no thanks to Babcock though, he's retired apparently and the game passed him by while a go

Reactions: Sun God Nika

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For POHO, I'd want someone who knows the game, someone like Lou Lamoriello or Jacques Lemaire, but keep him the hell away from GM duties. I'm open to a former player who has a clear vision like Shanahan did with TML, but not sure who I'd trust for that role. Not sure if Alfie would want to or if we have anyone who was from Ottawa like Shanahan was from Toronto.

For GM, not sure who I'd pick because literally 25+ gms in the league would be upgrades on Dorion, but I'd like to see someone like Alfie or Phillips involved as an AGM or something that lets them be a part of the organization. Wouldn't mind Trotz being given the role. Anyone that can evaluate pro talent better than Dorion has been able to.

For coach, bring in a proven winner. Julien, Martin, Trotz, heck even Boudreau. No assholes like Babcock that can help make a locker room toxic and give players leverage to have overpay deals which we can't afford (and would have to move out).

Only part of management that I keep is our scouting.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have Trotz coming in like Brian Murray and righting the ship,then moving up into management...After all it was Murray that gave Trotz his first coaching gig in the NHL ....

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Briere as in Daniel Briere?

Does he have an off-ice role at the moment?

Always struck me as a pretty smart guy back when he was a player. And.... he's from Gatineau.

I have listened to several of his interviews on Montreal's radio and yes he is very smart and in terms of emotional intelligence too. He could have a bright future as an executive if he continues on that path. I wouldn't mind having him as one of the asst GMs

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The core is:

Stützle - 20 y/o
Sanderson - 20 y/o
Tkachuk - 22 y/o
Norris - 23 y/o

Chabot is the only guy who's older at 25.

Batherson has, IMO, played himself out of the core and I'm not sure DBC is sticking around, so I excluded them.

In the next tier you have Pinto at 21 y/o, Greig at 20 y/o + guys like JBD and out soon-to-be top 10 pick.

The core is still young, and I think a new regime is going to come in and retool this rebuild vs. go for it right away.
Obviously, I'm just guessing what will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if the magnitude of changes is larger than some might expect when the new management team is put in place. Time will tell & we'll find out one way or another.

Reactions: Loach

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I have listened to several of his interviews on Montreal's radio and yes he is very smart and in terms of emotional intelligence too. He could have a bright future as an executive if he continues on that path. I wouldn't mind having him as one of the asst GMs

As much as I think Briere has the potential to be a good executive one day, he's currently an assistant to the GM in Philly, Philly is an absolute mess and the very mismanaged. I don't know what Briere's advice was on the Ristolainen, Sanheim, or DeAngelo but unless he was against those moves/extensions, not sure i'd trust his pro evaluation

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It doesn’t need to be a high end RD. For example

To Edmonton - Debrincat 50% retained + Holden/Brannstrom 50% retained

To Ottawa - Evan Bouchard and Puljujarvi

Ottawa can bank the cap space and target someone like Severson in the summer. JBD is still waiver exempt next year so we can keep him in Belleville.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Severson
UFA with size - Bouchard
Thomson (not waiver exempt).
I'm moving Batherson before DeBrincat for RD help,

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As much as I think Briere has the potential to be a good executive one day, he's currently an assistant to the GM in Philly, Philly is an absolute mess and the very mismanaged. I don't know what Briere's advice was on the Ristolainen, Sanheim, or DeAngelo but unless he was against those moves/extensions, not sure i'd trust his pro evaluation
Well, Ristolinen was signed less than a month after he joined as an Asst. to the GM, Sanheim a year before, and Deangelo is a perfectly fine signing at 2 x 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well some experience for once would be nice

I think everyone that's saying Spezza is wearing their nostalgia goggles tonight, he may be a good GM one day but it's way too early

For GM, maybe somebody like Gillis or Shero, both have decent track records..

Coach, please for love of everything don't go bargain bin hunting

Babcock, Tippett, and Quenneville are all retired so no to them

Julien would be good, maybe AV as well, Trotz would be number one....there could be some good coaches available in the offseason as well

Meh, that's a non story in most hockey markets

Yeah no thanks to Babcock though, he's retired apparently and the game passed him by while a go
Id take Babcock or Quennville in a heartbeat.

Obviously, I'm just guessing what will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if the magnitude of changes is larger than some might expect when the new management team is put in place. Time will tell & we'll find out one way or another.
I would hope that whoever new management is they dont come in guns a blazing and actually evaluate what the organization has under a new coaching staff before making any big decisions. If they do come in and start trading everyone I think that is a surefire sign they arent very experienced.

This teams core pieces are great they are just young.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Why dont you think he would be a good fit? I think he is exactly what they need.

Some reasons that are in his control, some that aren't.

Outside of his control:
• This franchise has had so much noise around it over the last several years. Hiring Babcock would bring a ton more. I can just imagine all the think pieces that'd be written and handwringing about bullying, the mental health of players, etc, etc.

Inside his control:
• Babcock was the guy who entrusted DJ Smith with his defense in Toronto, and they played the same way. Abandon the points, collapse down low, get confused, run around with your head cut off. They never had a good defensive team. 3rd worst in SA/GP in 16/17, 4th worst in 17/18, 8th worst in 18/19.

I'd rather Claude Julien. Brings the same level of experience, credibility and past success, has a better defensive track record, and is a much less polarizing person.

Babcock should get another chance, but he'd be better off in an American market. It'd be a media circus if he got a job in Canada 4.5 hours down the highway from Toronto.

Reactions: swiftwin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jason Spezza is someone I’d like to see return - GM or POHO would be perfect, he understands hockey and business and is great with fans and the media.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Claude Julien is just sitting back waiting around for Ottawa to call.

If both were available who would you choose between Julien and Trotz? and why?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Trotz way better recent track record.

I don't think Julien overly interested in coaching right now.

Julien would probably be happy to take the job under new ownership and management with a renewed mandate.

I don't think he'd be at all interested in taking over for DJ Smith as part of Pierre Dorion's last stand.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Julien would probably be happy to take the job under new ownership and management with a renewed mandate.

I don't think he'd be at all interested in taking over for DJ Smith as part of Pierre Dorion's last stand.
Julien is my friends neighbor I'm confident he isn't looking to coach. He likes his current role. Their kids are friends.

Pierre Dorion doesn't have the power to bring in a new coach at the moment.

This team is stuck with what they have until there is new ownership.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Been thinking about this. There's new ownership coming which is great.

We're exiting a long period of instability and presumably entering a period of stability. We need decision making that's in the best interest of the club and a financial situation that is stable over the long haul

The good news is that the attendance this year has rebounded well. It puts a smile on my face being in the rink with 19,000+ like I saw the other night against Winnipeg

I believe Dorion always had a plan. A tear down and rebuild plan. I also think the Zibanejad trade timing wise was before the plan and the driving factor there was money. Over the past 5 years anyway, our Ufa options were probably limited to players without options and that needs to change

So, we've got a decent core. We need a clear vision. We need stability. We need to develop a culture where we can consistently attract at least mid tier Ufa players so that we can plug holes with players, not plugs.

I'm not sure I want someone that's been all around the league as a coach. A lot of these guys have resumes but have always been fired. It's hard to identify up and comers but I think I'd prefer that. Accountability needs to be front and center

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - F.A/ Draft Pick
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov

Sanderson - Durzi
Chychryn - Zub
F.A./ Kleven - Hamonic (extend 3 x$2.5 mill)
JBD

Sign Formenton 2 x $2.5 million)

Trade
Debrincat (LA.)
Chabot (Montreal)
Talbot (Seattle 3rd round pick)
Motte (L.A)
Joseph (4th round pick)
Watson (AHL player)
Brannstrom (Arizona)
Holden (AHL player)

Zaitsev buy out

Trades:
Ott: Chychryn
MTL: Chabot
ARI: Montreal 1st round pick (Florida), Brannstrom

Ott: Sean Durzi, 1st round pick
L.A.: Alex Debrincat, Motte

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Id take Babcock or Quennville in a heartbeat.

I would hope that whoever new management is they dont come in guns a blazing and actually evaluate what the organization has under a new coaching staff before making any big decisions. If they do come in and start trading everyone I think that is a surefire sign they arent very experienced.

This teams core pieces are great they are just young.
Sure, definitely they should carefully evaluate before making moves & changes.

I was thinking they might find our blueline in need of some work i.e., more than a small tinker job. Plus, there's going to be some cap constraints next year if the cap is $83.5 m.

Maybe they only do a few smaller things next season and they wait unto the following season to do bigger things, again due to the cap situation.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jason Spezza is someone I’d like to see return - GM or POHO would be perfect, he understands hockey and business and is great with fans and the media.

What experience and education does Spezza have that supports your view that he "understands hockey and business"?

He has very little experience in business management, hockey management, GM management, & coaching hockey, and I don't think he has studied business (bachelors degree in management) in any detail.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, definitely they should carefully evaluate before making moves & changes.

I was thinking they might find our blueline in need of some work i.e., more than a small tinker job. Plus, there's going to be some cap constraints next year if the cap is $83.5 m.

Maybe they only do a few smaller things next season and they wait unto the following season to do bigger things, again due to the cap situation.
Our blue line definitely needs major work (2 new competent RD and a third pair LD).

We may have to wait to get 2 competent RDs. Maybe we can get a D in the 2023 draft that could play in the NHL starting in 2024-25 season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What experience and education does Spezza have that supports your view that he "understands hockey and business"?

He has very little experience in business management, hockey management, GM management, & coaching hockey, and I don't think he has studied business (bachelors degree in management) in any detail.

He’s been doing multi million dollar deals since he was 18, has top access to some of the most exclusive businesses in the world. NHL, NHLPA, Hockey Canada, Nike, Ford, Gatorade, CIBc, Bauer etc whoever his sponsors are - he’s been an NHL Captain, understands national and international
Media, he’s been famous since he was 16.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3