Speculation: New vision

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Brutal opinion. Spezza will most likely be a very successful GM at some point.

I am not saying you have to have been a great overall player to be a great GM, just that Spezza and his silly little laugh couldn't command the attention or respect necessary to function in that role.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am not saying you have to have been a great overall player to be a great GM, just that Spezza and his silly little laugh couldn't command the attention or respect necessary to function in that role.
He is extremely highly thought of around NHL circles so I think you are completely off base.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Spezza was the man. Different players bring different attributes. We had a ton of success with offense first guys like him, Havlat, Hoffman, and I'm sure a few others.
Ya he was a good offensive player. But he was a silly person when interviewed, and relied heavily on Alfredsson, Philips etc. to do any of the leading.

I would bet he goes nowhere in the coaching/exec position and retires rather quickly.

He is extremely highly thought of around NHL circles so I think you are completely off base.
That's really generic. "Highly thought of" in what way? and "NHL circles" which circles, or are they squares?

Just a terrible take.
Well time will tell.

Reactions: BondraTime

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya he was a good offensive player. But he was a silly person when interviewed, and relied heavily on Alfredsson, Philips etc. to do any of the leading.

I would bet he goes nowhere in the coaching/exec position and retires rather quickly.

That's really generic. "Highly thought of" in what way? and "NHL circles" which circles, or are they squares?

Well time will tell.
Well, we're all allowed an opinion, so there you have it!

Reactions: Norris4Norris

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Th guy was an NHL captain and part of leadership groups on three different NHL franchises. Played over 1200 games. Immediately makes the jump to the front office because of how highly thought of he is as a hockey mind. But he giggled once, so he's bound for a lifetime of failure. Sound logic to be sure.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Th guy was an NHL captain and part of leadership groups on three different NHL franchises. Played over 1200 games. Immediately makes the jump to the front office because of how highly thought of he is as a hockey mind. But he giggled once, so he's bound for a lifetime of failure. Sound logic to be sure.
I think he giggled more than once lol, He always reminded me of a little kid. No way he leads well in business.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I think he giggled more than once lol, He always reminded me of a little kid. No way he leads well in business.
I would prefer a witch cackle. Gives off a much more professional vibe.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Let Spezza stay with the Leafs and have them continue to gag in the first round.
Spezza looks professional in a suit , but after that there isn't much going on in the brains department.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The comments about Spezza's suitability and a hockey exec are downright bizarre...

I don't like how he laughs in interviews has to be right up there on the list of dumbest reasons to think he won't be successful I've seen to date...

Ignore what other players that knew him said, or that he's been in the leadership group on multiple teams and immediately brought into management when he retired, none of that means anything once you hear him giggle...

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I don't care about POHO. Alfie would be fine, just like Shannahan and Linden.

GM - Who knows, most of the current ones are idiots so probably someone who has been highly involved on a successful team as an AGM, maybe a guy like Scott White.

Coach - No to Boudreau, he is an older DJ Smith. I'd think Brunette and Julien would be at the top of the list and I'd take either.

He would need to apply for reinstatement.
Brunette was in Florida last year right? Now assistant in NJ?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Seriously you guys don't think a guy like Babcock would be amazing here. He's a known winner, has a great mind for hockey, and he can really "whip" the young stars of our team into top veterans.

I think he failed in Toronto because they stopped buying into his plan. He didn't have veteran leaders on his side to keep the team stable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seriously you guys don't think a guy like Babcock would be amazing here. He's a known winner, has a great mind for hockey, and he can really "whip" the young stars of our team into top veterans.

I think he failed in Toronto because they stopped buying into his plan. He didn't have veteran leaders on his side to keep the team stable.
Heeeelllllll no to Babcock....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Spezza would be a very good hire for an Asst. GM position.

Guy knows more about hockey than pretty much everyone, and despite his quirky demeanour, is one of the most respected guys in the entire NHL.

He will be a very good GM in the league in a few years. There isn’t going to be much of an appetite to hire him in Ottawa with new management, and the need for an actual competent upper management group for the first time in a decade.

The Leafs already did. He's working as an assistant to Kyle Dubas this year.

He's incredibly well-respected in the hockey world, so your post is real odd. Lacking in character and Spezza don't belong in the same sentence.
It’s an extremely uneducated take.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Spezza would be a very good hire for an Asst. GM position.

Guy knows more about hockey than pretty much everyone, and despite his quirky demeanour, is one of the most respected guys in the entire NHL.

He will be a very good GM in the league in a few years. There isn’t going to be much of an appetite to hire him in Ottawa with new management, and the need for an actual competent upper management group for the first time in a decade.

It’s an extremely uneducated take.

Why do you say that? I would think new ownership would be open to the idea of bringing in guys like Alfredsson, and even Spezza. Not only for their experience and knowledge; but also, to win points with the fans, and marketing the team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why do you say that? I would think new ownership would be open to the idea of bringing in guys like Alfredsson, and even Spezza. Not only for their experience and knowledge; but also, to win points with the fans, and marketing the team.
Probably the sentence that immediately followed the bolded about an experienced regime.

Everyone has been clamouring for experience and as much as I'd be on board with Spezza, it seems unlikely.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Probably the sentence that immediately followed the bolded about an experienced regime.

Everyone has been clamouring for experience and as much as I'd be on board with Spezza, it seems unlikely.

Sure your GM can be someone with experience; I'm all for that. I just don't see any harm in having Spezza being the AGM.

Heeeelllllll no to Babcock....

I'm sure Babcock is itching to come back and coach in the NHL; he's also smart enough to put aside his dated approach at team-building...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure Babcock is itching to come back and coach in the NHL; he's also smart enough to put aside his dated approach at team-building...
When someone tells you who he is over the last 20 years, what makes you think he's suddenly going to change now?

I mean, guys in their 60's are well known for hanging their ways, right?

Reactions: swiftwin

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sure your GM can be someone with experience; I'm all for that. I just don't see any harm in having Spezza being the AGM.
Well I'm on board, I was mostly just pointing out their explanation as you'd asked why BondraTime thought that hiring Spezza wasn't likely and that it was in the post you quoted.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
POHO: Dean Lombardi
GM: Doug Wilson
HC: Benoit Groulx or Andrew Brunette

Owner: Andlauer, Desmarais and Reynolds

Reactions: Xspyrit

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
When someone tells you who he is over the last 20 years, what makes you think he's suddenly going to change now?

I mean, guys in their 60's are well known for hanging their ways, right?

Come on man, are you really going to post a bullshit Commodore video to make a point? The guy is 1. an airhead; 2. he's mad because he couldn't keep up. I side with Babcock when it comes to this story.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00