Speculation: New vision

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd probably stay away from a BWAHAHAHA like Dr. Evil.
Lol definitely.

It's a bit of a pr position, so the one they better be a pro at is the "what you said wasn't funny at all, or I wasn't really listening, but I've got a half assed fake chuckle ready to go for ya"

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just too expensive a list to be realistic.

POHO - Barry Trotz
GM - Ray Shero
Head Coach - Claude Julien

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Come on man, are you really going to post a bullshit Commodore video to make a point? The guy is 1. an airhead; 2. he's mad because he couldn't keep up. I side with Babcock when it comes to this story.
Nobody likes Babcock, we can post stuff about how he treated Marner, would that be better?

Reactions: bicboi64

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Nobody likes Babcock, we can post stuff about how he treated Marner, would that be better?

I don't think that Babcock would be a fit here, but he did not treat Marner "badly". That story was so overblown.

It's a shame that he's being lumped in with the likes of Quenneville and Bill Peters. Babcock was an old-school hardass, but didn't do anything egregious like those guys. He's no different than Torts or Sutter, who are still coaching.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Yeah that would be better, but as I said I think Babcock would be smart enough (or at least cognizant of his past failures causing monetary losses) to avoid the same mistakes.

I don't think that Babcock would be a fit here, but he did not treat Marner "badly". That story was so overblown.

It's a shame that he's being lumped in with the likes of Quenneville and Bill Peters. Babcock was an old-school hardass, but didn't do anything egregious like those guys. He's no different than Torts or Sutter, who are still coaching.

How come? I think if Trotz is deadset on an O6 team; then he's the best option in terms of experience/knowledge.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah that would be better, but as I said I think Babcock would be smart enough (or at least cognizant of his past failures causing monetary losses) to avoid the same mistakes.
The guy isn't likely to change his stripes at 60, sorry to say. Hard pass,

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I think the team needs more of a teacher than a "my way or the highway hard-ass." Babcock likes veterans who he can "trust". Not young players who need to learn.

We need a 2023 version of Jacques Martin.

I think Ottawa is in that middle area when it comes to development. The core is not young enough to need a teacher; but they're also not old enough to be veterans. That's the reason I don't fully agree with your assessment.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think Ottawa is in that middle area when it comes to development. The core is not young enough to need a teacher; but they're also not old enough to be veterans. That's the reason I don't fully agree with your assessment.

The core is:

Stützle - 20 y/o
Sanderson - 20 y/o
Tkachuk - 22 y/o
Norris - 23 y/o

Chabot is the only guy who's older at 25.

Batherson has, IMO, played himself out of the core and I'm not sure DBC is sticking around, so I excluded them.

In the next tier you have Pinto at 21 y/o, Greig at 20 y/o + guys like JBD and out soon-to-be top 10 pick.

The core is still young, and I think a new regime is going to come in and retool this rebuild vs. go for it right away.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I agree with this. Just look at how well Stutzle is doing under DJ.

That's why I've been generally in favor of keeping DJ earlier in the season when the team was playing well but just not getting the results.

But now, it's pretty clear that he's started to lose the room in the last few weeks, and the team is not playing well and not getting the results.

At this point, might as well ride DJ out the rest of the season, unless the team refuses to snap out of their current funk. Then just fire him and have Capuano interim until new ownership and potentially new management comes in.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The core is:

Stützle - 20 y/o
Sanderson - 20 y/o
Tkachuk - 22 y/o
Norris - 23 y/o

Chabot is the only guy who's older at 25.

Batherson has, IMO, played himself out of the core and I'm not sure DBC is sticking around, so I excluded them.

In the next tier you have Pinto at 21 y/o, Greig at 20 y/o + guys like JBD and out soon-to-be top 10 pick.

The core is still young, and I think a new regime is going to come in and retool this rebuild vs. go for it right away.
I agree with that last line. We're not in a position to "go for it" right now. I know everyone is super antsy, but we really need to be patient with the core.

I think DBC will stick around, especially with new ownership and Reynolds in the fold. If he wants to commit long term, we have to keep him. Players like that don't grow on trees.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I agree with this. Just look at how well Stutzle is doing under DJ.

That's why I've been generally in favor of keeping DJ earlier in the season when the team was playing well but just not getting the results.

But now, it's pretty clear that he's started to lose the room in the last few weeks, and the team is not playing well and not getting the results.

At this point, might as well ride DJ out the rest of the season, unless the team refuses to snap out of their current funk. Then just fire him and have Capuano interim until new ownership and potentially new management comes in.

Wouldn't be that bad to let them ride out the losses. Main reason why I haven't said fire DJ lately.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I agree with that last line. We're not in a position to "go for it" right now. I know everyone is super antsy, but we really need to be patient with the core.

I think DBC will stick around, especially with new ownership and Reynolds in the fold. If he wants to commit long term, we have to keep him. Players like that don't grow on trees.

We're trending to being able to draft a Sale, Benson, Mitchkov, Fantilli, Carlsson or Dvorsky (and if we're real lucky - Bedard).

Why lock in another forward at $8M+?

If this team continues to tank and lands a top 8 pick, we should 100% trade DBC or Batherson to shore up other areas (aka. defense).

Reactions: bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're trending to being able to draft a Sale, Benson, Mitchkov, Fantilli, Carlsson or Dvorsky (and if we're real lucky - Bedard).

If this team continues to tank and lands a top 8 pick, we should 100% trade DBC or Batherson to shore up other areas (aka. defense).
I think that Dorion might trade Debrincat at the TDL or this summer if negotiatioins for a longer term deal are not working out. Perhaps that is how Dorion gets a top 4 RD.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, we've got to find someone selling a high end D first, but I'd be down with it for the right piece.

The problem is idk if you're going to find a team willing to move a top end RHD.

If the only guys available are in the Roy, Carlo, Murphy, and Mayfield tier, would you be ok with trading Bath or DeBrincat for a package return for one of them?

I mean, it would be great to land Hronek or Andersson but I don't see that happening.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Well, we've got to find someone selling a high end D first, but I'd be down with it for the right piece.

The problem is idk if you're going to find a team willing to move a top end RHD.

If the only guys available are in the Roy, Carlo, Murphy, and Mayfield tier, would you be ok with trading Bath or DeBrincat for a package return for one of them?

I mean, it would be great to land Hronek or Andersson but I don't see that happening.

If we land a grade A forward prospect, I'd be okay trading one of them in a package deal if it also helps us address our bottom 6 depth.

The guy I'd target is Schneider in NY. They have Fox and Trouba at RD ahead of him, and are thin at RW. Batherson on his contract could be a good fit for them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we land a grade A forward prospect, I'd be okay trading one of them in a package deal if it also helps us address our bottom 6 depth.

The guy I'd target is Schneider in NY. They have Fox and Trouba at RD ahead of him, and are thin at RW. Batherson on his contract could be a good fit for them.
I'm not against it, Schneider could be a good fit, the problem is it feels like we'd be trading low on Bath.

I do feel were also really thin at RW if we trade Batherson, Giroux is short term, Joseph isn't really a top 6 guy ideally, then we have Sokolov? Boucher? Maybe the guy we draft will be ready to replace Giroux but it's still a bit o a weak spot.

Reactions: DrEasy

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm not against it, Schneider could be a good fit, the problem is it feels like we'd be trading low on Bath.

I do feel were also really thin at RW if we trade Batherson, Giroux is short term, Joseph isn't really a top 6 guy ideally, then we have Sokolov? Boucher? Maybe the guy we draft will be ready to replace Giroux but it's still a bit o a weak spot.

Unfortunately, the Senators really don't have much organizational depth anywhere except for C (and maybe LD?).

The good news is that C is arguably the most important position, the bad news is that, after 6 years of rebuilding, you'd hope we'd have more in the cupboards. The well has already run pretty dry. And we're already going to be facing some big cap decisions.

For a new regime, trading a Debrincat/Batherson for a couple of pieces to balance out the team may make sense.

And hell, if we land Bedard, maybe we trade Norris or Pinto.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Babcock scratched Modano before he would hit 1500 games played. That was just abhorrent and shows what kind of character he has. He was a great coach but I think he needed veteran leadership not only because they could take his tough act but also because the vets could be the buffer between Babs and the young guys. That's just speculation. His Red Wings Cup team had Lidstrom, Chelios, Maltby, Holmstrom, Osgood, Hasek, Draper, Rafalski, Samuelsson, and even Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen were in their late 20s. His Ducks team that made the Cup final had Oates, Rucchi, Ozolinsh, and Thomas, and Kariya was 28.

Anyway, now that I'm done with that tangent .... as long as the new coach and GM are experienced then I'm alright. Martin would be perfect for POHO I think.

Reactions: swiftwin

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It doesn’t need to be a high end RD. For example

To Edmonton - Debrincat 50% retained + Holden/Brannstrom 50% retained

To Ottawa - Evan Bouchard and Puljujarvi

Ottawa can bank the cap space and target someone like Severson in the summer. JBD is still waiver exempt next year so we can keep him in Belleville.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Severson
UFA with size - Bouchard
Thomson (not waiver exempt).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Why dont you think he would be a good fit? I think he is exactly what they need.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Ottawa can bank the cap space and target someone like Severson in the summer. JBD is still waiver exempt next year so we can keep him in Belleville.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Severson
UFA with size - Bouchard
Thats awful for Ottawa in my opinion. Especially with retention. They can do better with Debrincat.

Reactions: Masked and Yak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Severson
UFA with size - Bouchard
I get what you're saying, cap space has value too, but I think that's a pretty disappointing trade proposal particularly if you strike out on the UFA signing.

Also, JBD will not be waiver exempt, this is his third pro season

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I get what you're saying, cap space has value too, but I think that's a pretty disappointing trade proposal particularly if you strike out on the UFA signing.

Also, JBD will not be waiver exempt, this is his third pro season
You are right on JBD, I thought he was a 10.2.

I must be higher on Bouchard than either you or @bert

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3