Speculation: New vision

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lots of talk around here about firing Dorion and DJ once new ownership comes in, I think it's inevitable, but if it happens, who do people want taking over?

I assume most want Trotz as coach, so to keep this interesting, let's assume he's either not interested or takes something else before we got a chance...

Who's available and who do you want for these three key positions?

POHO

GM

Head Coach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lots of talk around here about firing Dorion and DJ once new ownership comes in, I think it's inevitable, but if it happens, who do people want taking over?

I assume most want Trotz as coach, so to keep this interesting, let's assume he's either not interested or takes something else before we got a chance...

Who's available and who do you want for these three key positions?

POHO

GM

Head Coach
Get a GM that wants to transition to POHO. And trotz as coach who wants to transition to GM. Let them choose the next coach after that

Reactions: topshelf15

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Owner: Ryan Renolds + Sugar Daddy (Cirque Du Soleil?)
POHO: Daniel Alfredsson
GM: Steve Yzerman or Barry Trotz
Coach: Jukka Jalonen, Bruce Boudreau, Joel Queneville

None of this will ever happen though.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
At this point I don't really care about actual names, when I think about it. I just want a non-rookie coach and GM. Need someone who has lots of experience. And no, Boucher was not experienced enough.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some possible candidates on the hockey ops side that have come up when other teams were looking, not advocating for any, just listing names

Gillies
Sean Burke
Botterill
Darche
Weekes
Luongo
Patrick Roy
Spezza
Briere
Hextall

Coaching candidates:
Trotz
Boudreau
Gronberg
Lambert
vigneaul
Tippett
Brunette
Leaman
Green
Julien

Any other names to add?

Reactions: Yak

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Some possible candidates on the hockey ops side that have come up when other teams were looking, not advocating for any, just listing names

Gillies
Sean Burke
Botterill
Darche
Weekes
Luongo
Patrick Roy
Spezza
Briere
Hextall

Coaching candidates:
Trotz
Boudreau
Gronberg
Lambert
vigneaul
Tippett
Brunette

Any other names to add?
Julien should be a consideration at coach

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Claude Julien would be a great hire.

For GM, that is a hard one. Jim Rutherford is a winner, and he severely botched up the Vancouver situation, which is something you would expect from Dorion, not gramps who has decades of experience as a GM.

I think Jason Spezza is a fantastic hockey mind and would follow in the mould of Yzerman. Plus, he knows the area and the fanbase.

POHO , I don't think Alfredsson would be a good hire there. I just don[t see anything, other than nostalgia, to support that hire. Maybe Jacques Martin would be good in that position with his experience as coach, GM, etc...and at his age and wisdom that he can provide (Including his relationship with Jason Spezza)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
POHO: I'm fine with Gillis in this type of role, not sure I see too many other options

VP Hockey Ops: Call this whatever you want, but it's a cushy job for Alfie that isn't GM or "the guy" as POHO. I think he should be involved, but not as someone with final say.

GM: Gillis or Burke

AsstGM: Jason Spezza (give him a promotion to come home, guy is gonna be the next player to transition to GM)

Head Coach: Claude Julien, Bruce Boudreau, Barry Trotz, Andrew Brunette (in that order)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't care about POHO. Alfie would be fine, just like Shannahan and Linden.

GM - Who knows, most of the current ones are idiots so probably someone who has been highly involved on a successful team as an AGM, maybe a guy like Scott White.

Coach - No to Boudreau, he is an older DJ Smith. I'd think Brunette and Julien would be at the top of the list and I'd take either.

What's the story on the Quenneville front? Has his name been cleared? Haven't really followed it
He would need to apply for reinstatement.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Briere

Any other names to add?
Briere as in Daniel Briere?

Does he have an off-ice role at the moment?

Always struck me as a pretty smart guy back when he was a player. And.... he's from Gatineau.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Gillies
Sean Burke
Botterill
Darche
Weekes
Luongo
Patrick Roy
Spezza
Briere
Hextall

Coaching candidates:
Trotz
Boudreau
Gronberg
Lambert
vigneaul
Tippett
Brunette
Leaman
Green
Julien

Any other names to add?
For coach you can add Hartley and Benoit Groulx

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
My ideal scenario:

POHO: Jim Nill (he only got a 1-year extension after last year, which expires after 23/24 - so it may be possible to pry him out of Dallas for a Presidents job)
GM: Jason Spezza
Coach: Claude Julien

Alfredsson in a Luc Robitaille-in-LA-type role, not directly responsible for Hockey Ops, but one of the main faces for the org.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Flyers AGM. Not a ton of experience.
you may want to ask ex Habs president Pierre Boivin about Brier.

I remember an incident in the early 2000's (when he was a free agent and eventually ended up in Phili)...Pierre did not appreciate Brier using the Habs.. Of coarse the Habs being desperate for a Franco star, took Brier in a few years later, when he had aged out of options and kissed his ass. Ain't nothing like taking an ex back that has cheated on you. H had to wait until 2013 to sign with the Habs, Boivin was gone by then and the Habs were in the toilette. Nothing like having pride... f***ing Habs bent over didn't they??

I am guessing Boivin may not be overly fond of Danny Boy. Wah that press conference and media circus that went around back then.

Be careful or low moral character. We have had it here before.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I would love for someone who knows/understands coaches/the way they coach etc. to break down the differences or pros and cons of Claude Julien and Barry Trotz.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Jacques Martin as POHO: he has experience GMing, coaching, is from the area, and probably doesn't feel like coaching and travelling with the team at this stage of his life. Bring him so he can use his vast experience and knowledge of the people in the game to help choose the right GM. Everything flows on from there: building a proper front office (with actual scouts, analytics, etc.), choice of the coach, etc.

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
GM: Marc Bergevin

Head Coach: Chris Kelly

PP / Skills coach (what MSL was doing)- Alfie

POHO - Zdeno Chara

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have a vision of chains and shackles hanging from the ceiling in a rock dungeon with Dorion and DJ shackled ; wearing their skivvies struggling to keep their tip toes on the floor.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
POHO: Alfie
GM: Spezza
Coach: Barry Trotz, Claude Julien or Jacques Martin

I can't wait for the last remnants of the toxic Melnyk era to be gone.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
I want the team to hire a POHO who has experience in the league. And let that POHO have the latitude (and budget) to hire a GM who they can work with and that POHO and GM to hire a coach they can work with. Work from the top down to build a competent organization.

And we need a competent organization that can take this roster and turn it into a playoff team quickly. The sale of the team dragging on is not helping that. The longer Dorion stays the more damage he can do.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad