Post-Game Talk: New season, same dead offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
This D is not as good as people think, especially with Volch and Harrold in. It relies heavily on the O scoring and keeping possession on the other side of the rink. I also see a disturbing trend of allowing high quality odd man rushes and chances. I don't recall it being quite that bad in 2012. Not sure if this is on Stevens or what, but it's gotta get better. I think replacing those two guys with our younger guns might be a start.

It would be a start. Don't want to base too much off of 1 game, but Sal would never sit and I'm skeptical PDB would make wholesale changes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They might have no choice but to throw Tedenby out there, to see what he can do, if they continue to struggle with the offensive creativity. They really might need his speed and skill because Brunner and maybe Loktionov are the only ones who posses those qualities, who were in the lineup tonight.

I've never been a proponent of Tedenby and everyone here knows that.

I would certainly welcome trying him out in the lineup, but don't know how we will until someone is injured.

It wasn't that I didn't necessarily want Tedenby in the lineup. I just hated on relying on him to replace Zach or Kovalchuk.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is such a weak comment from the coach

DeBoer on not getting frustrated by one game: "We’re playing in Pittsburgh against everybody’s pick to win the Eastern Conference,.....so it’s a little early to start looking at the glass half full.”

Either he got the quote wrong or TG did cause what Pete meant was it's early to start looking at it half empty. And he might be right...but they better score goals tomorrow or they'll be booed out of the building REAL fast.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
They need someone who can back up a defenseman. Tedenby has elite level speed. May as well throw him in there and change this awful dynamic of similar players.

I mean, I am one who usually believes speed is overrated but when you have ONE guy who looked like he had serious jump tonight, and the majority of the rest of the lineup are puck possession clods, then were going to have a problem. There really isn't that much balance.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is such a weak comment from the coach

DeBoer on not getting frustrated by one game: "We’re playing in Pittsburgh against everybody’s pick to win the Eastern Conference,.....so it’s a little early to start looking at the glass half full.â€

You shouldn't be surprised by anything this idiot says anymore. He's an idiot, plain and simple.

I'm not convinced he's a good coach, and don't give me that ''He got this team to the SCF less than 2 years ago!'' crap. I'm convinced he's a bad coach, and the jury is still out on if his system really is that effective with this team. That's not necessarily his fault though if it isn't fit to suit this team.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m

DeBoer thought Jagr was "excellent." I thought he worked his (rear end) off away from the puck, with the puck. He was very good.”

Petey has absolutely lost his marbles

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I mean, I am one who usually believes speed is overrated but when you have ONE guy who looked like he had serious jump tonight, and the majority of the rest of the lineup are puck possession clods, then were going to have a problem. There really isn't that much balance.

You definitely need a mix but like you said we're so top heavy in terms of plodding board players.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
DeBoer thought Jagr was "excellent." I thought he worked his (rear end) off away from the puck, with the puck. He was very good.”

All I saw was him twirling around giving the puck away

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012

DeBoer thought Jagr was "excellent." I thought he worked his (rear end) off away from the puck, with the puck. He was very good.â€

He looked slower than his usual Jagr slow, but with no preseason I'm not surprised.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

DeBoer thought Jagr was "excellent." I thought he worked his (rear end) off away from the puck, with the puck. He was very good.â€

What? it gets worse. Jagr made one good defensive play, other than that I cannot think of anything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So we can't score, our defense isn't that good, our goaltender gives up soft goals, and our coach is an idiot. The season has truly begun.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pete said he worked his ass off on the post game.

If Pete can't get this team turned around, then the hammer needs to be dropped.

This isn't something that I'm saying because of tonight's loss. I've felt this way throughout the offseason.

Pete needs to start by actually getting this team to SHOW UP against the Islanders. Something they have had a lot of problems doing at times.

B A T M A N

Ah yes, the HF bipolar mentality. When a team looses a game, people start panicking like someone chopped their hand off.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Time on Ice for you guys:

OFFENSE
T. Zajac 16:44
A. Henrique 16:35
D. Brunner 16:17
P. Elias 16:12
A. Loktionov 16:07
M. Ryder 15:54
J. Jagr 15:40
D. Zubrus 15:25
R. Clowe 14:37
S. Bernier 13:35
S. Gionta 11:15
R. Carter 10:55

DEFENSE
A. Greene 21:51
B. Salvador 21:22
A. Larsson 20:49
M. Zidlicky 20:43
P. Harrold 17:31
A. Volchenkov 16:28

Since time on ice is indicative of "trust" and even performance sometimes, I figured it would be useful.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I said this before the year. If our young guys (Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson, Gelinas) don't step up to aid the crusty vets (or get a chance from the coaching & management), we're not going anywhere.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So we can't score, our defense isn't that good, our goaltender gives up soft goals, and our coach is an idiot. The season has truly begun.:laugh:

I really believe half of those things. Our defense is not good. People give it way too much credit because we allow the least amount of shots. We really allow higher quality chances than the Dallas Stars allow with their 35 shots a night.

I do believe the coach is an idiot. We really can't score, but it's just one game.

I really didn't have a problem with our goaltender tonight. First goal was a bad rebound, and third goal was kinda borderline. MAF loses 5-0 playing behind our team tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad