Post-Game Talk: New season, same dead offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Pete admitted that he's going with the vets on D because of the new forward corps. Give them time to gel and we'll see Gelinas soon enough. Please.

The young guns might be in the lineup relatively soon but posters here just go on and on about stupid Pete and Lou are. I like to give the people who do this for a living the benefit of the doubt, rather than whine incessantly about how awful they are based on events one game into a new season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
With how aggressive Lou was this off season, he won't sit on his hands too long. Wait until after game #10 and we'll see what's up. If this team is 3-7 or 2-8 or something worse, Lou might make the roster moves for Pete were he might force his hand to play what will be suddenly available by jettison some space junk. Pete's pet or not, a few more -2 or bagels in FOs and Gionta won't be around that much longer. Not exclusive to Gionta but just the one example.

And Fayne who actually knows how to clear a zone not playing when you have arguably 3-4 guys who have trouble doing it such a crime Pete should get a lethal injection.
Or Pete might be gone.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
1 out of 6 is better than 0 out of 7:)

I do see your point and noticed that as well and thought to myself "why?" and then immediately answered "Pete"

I mean this is the same coach that had Clarkson taking faceoffs on the PP. He just has some weird beliefs.

I'm not going to call for his firing until the players stop playing for him, but right now Pete looks like the Les Miles (LSU college football coach) of the NHL - a village idiot or at least perceived as such because of bizarre decisions, but the players still play for him.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
As frustrating as tonight's game was, I don't think we were all that terrible - at least not after the first period.

I just wish they'd scratch Harrold for Fayne, and do something with Volchenkov so they can call up Gelinas.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The young guns might be in the lineup relatively soon but posters here just go on and on about stupid Pete and Lou are. I like to give the people who do this for a living the benefit of the doubt, rather than whine incessantly about how awful they are based on events one game into a new season.

That's just it though...these are the same things that were going on last year (Gionta, Volch/Harrold disasteriffic pairing, ****-canning Fayne) with the same results. It's not as if it's Game 1 of much of the stuff we're getting on Pete for despite the fact it's only Game 1 of 'this' season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With how aggressive Lou was this off season, he won't sit on his hands too long. Wait until after game #10 and we'll see what's up. If this team is 3-7 or 2-8 or something worse, Lou might make the roster moves for Pete were he might force his hand to play what will be suddenly available by jettison some space junk. Pete's pet or not, a few more -2 or bagels in FOs and Gionta won't be around that much longer. Not exclusive to Gionta but just the one example.

And Fayne who actually knows how to clear a zone not playing when you have arguably 3-4 guys who have trouble doing it such a crime Pete should get a lethal injection.
Just because you brought up 10 games....

I wouldn't be surprised if something even bigger than that happens after 10 games if we're 3-7 or 2-8. Like Lou bringing down the hammer on someones job, someone who isn't a player. I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess the rest. :laugh:

I don't think Lou wants to be embarrassed by giving up a low pick this year, he will be aggressive.

Pete is the same idiot that once played SCOTT FRICKIN CLEMMENSEN over a healthy Vokoun for a few games. It took a couple stinkers from Crapper to turn it back to Vokoun. A few stinkers longer than it should have. Any surprise he was terminated after that same season? Clemmensen over a healthy Vokoun for a stretch of games is a fireable offense in itself.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ

I wouldn't be surprised if something even bigger than that happens after 10 games if we're 3-7 or 2-8. Like Lou bringing down the hammer on someones job, someone who isn't a player. I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess the rest. :laugh:

I don't think Lou wants to be embarrassed by giving up a low pick this year, he will be aggressive.

Pete is the same idiot that once played SCOTT FRICKIN CLEMMENSEN over a healthy Vokoun for a few games. It took a couple stinkers from Crapper to turn it back to Vokoun. A few stinkers longer than it should have. Any surprise he was terminated after that same season? Clemmensen over a healthy Vokoun for a stretch of games is a fireable offense in itself.

He's gonna resign? :sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At this point I could definitely see Pete fired...I don't know how soon into the season it'd be especially since Lou doesn't want to do it 'this' time, but I agree that Lou's move-making this year was not the moves you make if you're content with another playoff-less season with no goalscoring. The brutal October schedule ain't gonna help his cause either.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

While DeBoer has made some questionable moves, he hasn't constructed this flawed team. So I'm kinda merciful towards him at this point.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
OMG now we are talking about Pete's job security? This is a new level of irrationality that I have never seen here.

Come back to me in 10-20 games. If we still suck then we can bring this topic up again.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Did Fayne piss Pete off or something? I just don't understand why he wouldn't start over Harrold.

While I wouldn't start harrold over Fayne, Fayne was pretty terrible defensively last year. He blew so many coverages in his zone I could not believe it was the same dman from 2012 where he was so incredibly steady. Maybe Pete is just trying to motivate him to get that level of play back.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
That's just it though...these are the same things that were going on last year (Gionta, Volch/Harrold disasteriffic pairing, ****-canning Fayne) with the same results. It's not as if it's Game 1 of much of the stuff we're getting on Pete for despite the fact it's only Game 1 of 'this' season.

Why are we comparing this team to last year's? Almost half that team is gone...it's not the same team. Which hopefully is part of the reason for this lackluster performance tonight.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey

It's not just one game. Pete has sucked with his lineups ever since getting here. Nothing new at all.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't see how changing the lineup would've made much of difference tonight.
There was a cohesion problem. No one was clicking. Players looked confused all night.

This team is going to need some time to gel...I think October might be a little rough.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
OMG now we are talking about Pete's job security? This is a new level of irrationality that I have never seen here.

Come back to me in 10-20 games. If we still suck then we can bring this topic up again.

People thought it was nuts to bring up Ftorek being fired in 2000 when we were in 'first' place. I thought it was nuts to bring up Julien being fired several years later when we were again in first place. Both those things happened with this GM. I'm not sure this team'll even GET to first place.

Granted, Lou's gotten a little more patient in his old years (Julien and MacLean were the only coaches that were actually 'fired' since 2002 unless you count Lemaire after '10, which was more like a euthanizing), but Lou traded a first-rounder and signed a billion guys this offseason. A team that prides itself on high expectations missed the playoffs two of the last three years. There's only so much even a older, more mellow Lou will take.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure if Pete's system will work with this team. Now that certainly isn't his fault though, but it would take bringing in somebody new to change it.

I do kinda like the guy (Still think he's in full on idiot mode already) and want some coaching stability, but if his system isn't working, and he refuses to play his best players, what can you do?

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I don't see how changing the lineup would've made much of difference tonight.
There was a cohesion problem. No one was clicking. Players looked confused all night.

This team is going to need some time to gel...I think October might be a little rough.

Gelinas and Merrill are solid skaters and can move the puck. Volch can't and Zids is an absolute nightmare in his own end.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I'm not sure if Pete's system will work with this team. Now that certainly isn't his fault though, but it would take bringing in somebody new to change it.

I do kinda like the guy (Still think he's in full on idiot mode already) and want some coaching stability, but if his system isn't working, and he refuses to play his best players, what can you do?

What system would work better? If we still had Kovy then maybe more of a transition type game would make sense. This team is constructed to work with Pete's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad