Post-Game Talk: New season, same dead offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Perhaps some of you (and the "experts") are right and this is a signal for the season to be. I just think it's ******** for more than half this board to tout how we have a more balanced team this season for the last couple of months and now after one ****ing game these same people do a complete 180 and think we are going to be trash. **** that negative ********. We saw the same thing 2 years ago. We have 50% turnover on the forward corp and some questionable vets on D to start. Let things sort themselves out before we go down that road, for ****'s sake.
This did look like the Bryzgalov shutout but 9 and 17 aren't walking through that door to bail them out when they desperately needed goals that year. I don't really see how you can compare this team to that team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Kovy schtick was fun, but this is just stupid.

I mean really...Schnieder's save percentage after his first game LAST year was .643 (five goals on 14 shots in a nightmare against the Ducks). Let's calm down with the I told you sos on that one.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I was saying this before the season...but people wanted to believe the blind eyed optomism that depth was better than talent and it would be another 2003 again (even though we're playing Volch and Harrold instead of Stevens and Nieds on defense).

I mean yeah Pittsburgh's a great offensive team, but we just got shut out by a BAD defense and goaltender. Good luck trying to get goals against actual defense/goalies.

this, there's so much depth...so much depth. no scoring. i hope i never see a stupid corsi stat ever again

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have to say, I do see Jim's point here.

Maybe this is just an anomaly and I hope it is. Hopefully it's not indicative of what we will see for most of this season. With all the **** Marty got last season for giving up 2 goals on 14 shots some games, this was a carbon copy.

Schneider wasn't bad tonight, aside from the first goal where he let out that horrendous rebound. The truth is that the 28-30 shots that Schneider faced in Vancouver were usually safer than the 20 shots this team allows.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Perhaps some of you (and the "experts") are right and this is a signal for the season to be. I just think it's ******** for more than half this board to tout how we have a more balanced team this season for the last couple of months and now after one ****ing game these same people do a complete 180 and think we are going to be trash. **** that negative ********. We saw the same thing 2 years ago. We have 50% turnover on the forward corp and some questionable vets on D to start. Let things sort themselves out before we go down that road, for ****'s sake.

This

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Maybe this is just an anomaly and I hope it is. Hopefully it's not indicative of what we will see for most of this season. With all the **** Marty got last season for giving up 2 goals on 14 shots some games, this was a carbon copy.

Schneider wasn't bad tonight, aside from the first goal where he let out that horrendous rebound. The truth is that the 28-30 shots that Schneider faced in Vancouver were usually safer than the 20 shots this team allows.

He's just trying to skirt around the fact that if things continue this way he's going to have a LOT of egg on his face regardless of how Schnieder plays. We were assured this team would be great and restored to its former glory without the Russian merc. He better hope Schnieder is great cause that's the only chance he has of being 'right' about that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I said the day Schneider was traded here that he will be good, but his 927 save percentage would probably go down. He will face less shots on the Devils than he did for Vancouver, but the scoring chances he will face here are tougher than some of the ones he faced in Vancouver.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Correct they played ok territory wise They did stop turning it over towards end so that's good. Moving on. Truth be told first 10 we gotta keep afloat until we are set w lines etc. I think a little more speed tomorrow would be nice though good night see ya at the rock

That's the main problem with this team. Too many plodding types who play along the boards.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This D is not as good as people think, especially with Volch and Harrold in. It relies heavily on the O scoring and keeping possession on the other side of the rink. I also see a disturbing trend of allowing high quality odd man rushes and chances. I don't recall it being quite that bad in 2012. Not sure if this is on Stevens or what, but it's gotta get better. I think replacing those two guys with our younger guns might be a start.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012

Goal 1 was a bad rebound, goal 3 was a little soft. honest is honest.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I was saying this before the season...but people wanted to believe the blind eyed optomism that depth was better than talent and it would be another 2003 again (even though we're playing Volch and Harrold instead of Stevens and Nieds on defense).

I mean yeah Pittsburgh's a great offensive team, but we just got shut out by a BAD defense and goaltender. Good luck trying to get goals against actual defense/goalies.

Say what you want about his playoff meltdowns but Fleury was very good tonight and it wasn't just the Devils forwards.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And to follow up on my point, despite what you CORSI believers think, this team does not allow less shots because their defense is good. This team allows fewer shots because they play with the puck more, and keep play out of their end for the most part. Though the system we play might not be effective with the guys we got.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
That's the main problem with this team. Too many plodding types who play along the boards.

Everyone along the boards, and nobody in the slot to get setup for a good shot. Kovy was an anomaly here because of his ability to burst away from the boards, or just rush into the zone and snap a wrister right from that spot on the ice where the team should be looking to get chances from. But hey, at least we've got Volch and Sal at the points so we can see one of their awesome shots get blocked or travel nice and slowly into the goalie's chest.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I said the day Schneider was traded here that he will be good, but his 927 save percentage would probably go down. He will face less shots on the Devils than he did for Vancouver, but the scoring chances he will face here are tougher than some of the ones he faced in Vancouver.

I honestly thought the preseason was almost the worst thing that could have happened to him really...expectations which were already high soared through the frigging stratosphere. There was really nowhere to go but down from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad