Post-Game Talk: New season, same dead offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just noticed Gionta was 0 for 7 on face-offs. Bravo Pete. Keep putting him out there as a "centre"

Even worse, Henrique was 1-6 and taking them over Zajac at times when they were both on the same line. In no universe is it ever better for Henrique to take a faceoff over Zajac. I could picture Pete being anal enough to want Henrique to take faceoffs from the left dot because he's anal about handedness.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m

DeBoer thought Jagr was "excellent." I thought he worked his (rear end) off away from the puck, with the puck. He was very good.â€

Petey has absolutely lost his marbles

Not what the hell I saw. Maybe he is building him up.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Time on Ice for you guys:

OFFENSE
T. Zajac 16:44
A. Henrique 16:35
D. Brunner 16:17
P. Elias 16:12
A. Loktionov 16:07
M. Ryder 15:54
J. Jagr 15:40
D. Zubrus 15:25
R. Clowe 14:37
S. Bernier 13:35
S. Gionta 11:15
R. Carter 10:55

DEFENSE
A. Greene 21:51
B. Salvador 21:22
A. Larsson 20:49
M. Zidlicky 20:43
P. Harrold 17:31
A. Volchenkov 16:28

Since time on ice is indicative of "trust" and even performance sometimes, I figured it would be useful.

I would call that almost perfect equal distribution.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Biggest issue I saw - DeBoer's style is based on getting the puck back to the point and having the dmen shoot - but more than half of the shots from the blue line were blocked. Devils D have to do a better job at getting pucks through in order for Pete's system to work.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Jagr was pretty good for a guy playing his first game in months really...he was active although not very productive (just one SOG). Complimenting Jagr for away the puck play is just - weird. We got him for his play WITH the puck.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Biggest issue I saw - DeBoer's style is based on getting the puck back to the point and having the dmen shoot - but more than half of the shots from the blue line were blocked. Devils D have to do a better job at getting pucks through in order for Pete's system to work.

Gelinas would be useful. Too bad Volch is out there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do not think worrying about this loss is completely unreasonable. The fact of the matter is that this looked like a carbon copy of many of those games last season. Like I said, could be an anomaly.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

If only we had a couple defenseman who can get the puck through either scratched or in the system. Oh well.:sarcasm:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I do not think worrying about this loss is completely unreasonable. The fact of the matter is that this looked like a carbon copy of many of those games last season. Like I said, could be an anomaly.

Yup. A plethora of bad angle shots and key defensive breakdowns leading to golden opportunities. Looked alot like last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The worst part about today is I'm not even excited about tomorrow anymore. Well I'll be happy to see some people I haven't seen in a while at the arena but that's about it. Between the whole Urbom thing, coaching decisions and the game itself just...ugh. A very bad feeling all around right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The defense is also even worse when you got Harrold in there playing over Fayne.

Harrold should not be a regular. At least not when you have 6 other healthy guys.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
We haven't a D-Man that could get the puck through, from the point, since Rafalski.
Yea, I'm trying to remain as positive as possible since it was very first game of the year but damn that was discouraging. Too many continued trends from last Feb-April. They really cannot afford to get off to a really slow start here.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
If only we had a couple defenseman who can get the puck through either scratched or in the system. Oh well.:sarcasm:

Well that's just it - are you willing to take rookie mistakes to get better offense? I mean Larson was the best dman I thought at getting his shots through - he also got burned for that first goal. Its going to happen and I can live with it but for whatever reason Lou and Pete feel they'd rather the D. And I could buy that if Volchenkov was steadier in his zone but he's to shaky. He'll have a couple of decent physical shifts and then he'll have a shift that makes you wonder if he can skate. just not consistent.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So we can't score, our defense isn't that good, our goaltender gives up soft goals, and our coach is an idiot. The season has truly begun.:laugh:

Obviously it's some kind of miracle that we manage to win any games and have not been last place in the league for the last 4 seasons.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The worst part about today is I'm not even excited about tomorrow anymore. Well I'll be happy to see some people I haven't seen in a while at the arena but that's about it. Between the whole Urbom thing, coaching decisions and the game itself just...ugh. A very bad feeling all around right now.
I'm not happy cause we usually don't show up against the Islanders. Some games against the Islanders make tonight's game look great.

We also make Nabokov look like the Nabokov from the 2004 playoffs, rather than the Nabokov that sunk the Sharks in the 2010 playoffs, and is even older now.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Pete admitted that he's going with the vets on D because of the new forward corps. Give them time to gel and we'll see Gelinas soon enough. Please.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The defense is also even worse when you got Harrold in there playing over Fayne.

Harrold should not be a regular. At least not when you have 6 other healthy guys.

Agreed. 100%

But I'm not sure defense was a problem tonight. The real problem looked like pure chemistry.

The thing I was most disappointed with was that DeBoer didn't really shake up the lines. I mean down 2-0 in the 3rd why not try stuff? Mix it up a little, break up all of the line and find something?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well that's just it - are you willing to take rookie mistakes to get better offense? I mean Larson was the best dman I thought at getting his shots through - he also got burned for that first goal. Its going to happen and I can live with it but for whatever reason Lou and Pete feel they'd rather the D. And I could buy that if Volchenkov was steadier in his zone but he's to shaky. He'll have a couple of decent physical shifts and then he'll have a shift that makes you wonder if he can skate. just not consistent.

I can definitely live with it considering our other alternative right now is no offense and pylon-like defense. Gelinas especially, added a huge dimension to both our transition game and our offensive game that we don't have right now, and I am fully willing to put up with his deficiencies to give it a shot.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Even worse, Henrique was 1-6 and taking them over Zajac at times when they were both on the same line. In no universe is it ever better for Henrique to take a faceoff over Zajac. I could picture Pete being anal enough to want Henrique to take faceoffs from the left dot because he's anal about handedness.

1 out of 6 is better than 0 out of 7:)

I do see your point and noticed that as well and thought to myself "why?" and then immediately answered "Pete"

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Agreed. 100%

But I'm not sure defense was a problem tonight. The real problem looked like pure chemistry.

The thing I was most disappointed with was that DeBoer didn't really shake up the lines. I mean down 2-0 in the 3rd why not try stuff? Mix it up a little, break up all of the line and find something?

yeah I agree.

Semak

With how aggressive Lou was this off season, he won't sit on his hands too long. Wait until after game #10 and we'll see what's up. If this team is 3-7 or 2-8 or something worse, Lou might make the roster moves for Pete were he might force his hand to play what will be suddenly available by jettison some space junk. Pete's pet or not, a few more -2 or bagels in FOs and Gionta won't be around that much longer. Not exclusive to Gionta but just the one example.

And Fayne who actually knows how to clear a zone not playing when you have arguably 3-4 guys who have trouble doing it such a crime Pete should get a lethal injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad