Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm a little curious as to why it's been so quiet on the coach thing. Like we haven't even heard a whisper that anybody has been getting interviewed. I really have to assume that they've already made their choice on bringing back Boughner though. That kind of org loyalty is right up DW's alley.

And, I think I'd rather go Gallant. He may be an asshole but I'd rather have one that's not openly abusive towards his own players.

It was also pretty quiet between mclellan and deboer. Its just the way the organization is. And it will be more so now that all the interviews will be done over the phone and not in person. So the media can't even speculate of why a coach would randomly be in san jose for the weekend lol

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm a little curious as to why it's been so quiet on the coach thing. Like we haven't even heard a whisper that anybody has been getting interviewed. I really have to assume that they've already made their choice on bringing back Boughner though. That kind of org loyalty is right up DW's alley.

And, I think I'd rather go Gallant. He may be an asshole but I'd rather have one that's not openly abusive towards his own players.
Because the season isn't officially over yet.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Gallant's a dick, but at least he's actually still a good coach.

These guys are pros too. If Gallant came in and had a group discussion during his first team meeting regarding the past, I’m sure these guys would be able to move past it. It’s not like Gallant said anything overly reprehensible about anybody. The worst thing he said was he called DeBoer a clown lol. I’d rather have a dick coach that knows how to coach than a “liked” coach that gets schooled come playoffs. Give Gallant 2018-2019’s roster and I’d be willing to bet it’s SJ vs Bos.

Also, that article just cites Kurz’s article on the Athletic quoting DW saying BB has the inside track. I don’t think anything is concrete yet.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

One reason for this could be that in the non-pandemic world, interviewees would be travelling to SJ and someone would spot them and that would become a rumor that so and so interviewed. These days interviews are probably happening over Zoom, so nobody is actually spotting any coaching candidates in San Jose.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Because the season isn't officially over yet.
Exactly. You have to expect that DW will at least interview some assistant coaches from good teams that are still preparing for the playoffs. Maybe he has already chosen a member of another coaching staff but doesn’t want to announce it until the new coach has finished with his current team.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

You do realize you are about 6 months away from shark opening camp? 24 teams are still active. Once teams get knocked out things will start happening

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
he's have some success at the AHL level. I'm okay with him as assistant. Ricci, Nabby , etc need to
return back to their original roles before this season train wrecked.

My bigger concern is that this suggests that BB is coming back as head coach next year.
I like him, just don't think he has enough experience for me to get the Sharks in the playoffs.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a great add to the coaching staff. I’m fine with a year of Boogie to give him a full chance. The D tightened up a lot once he took over.

Apparently Thompson is big into analytics too, so it’s not like we brought on a dinasour assistant and you’d have to think Boogie is also an analytics guy if his fist hire is one.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Good news: Sommer is not coaching on the Sharks bench in any capacity next season.

Bad new: He is likely back down stunting the growth of more prospects in the AHL.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
PreciousNastyBoto-size_restricted.gif

Jesus Christ himself could coach this team and it would mean absolutely nothing unless they start winning.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t know much about him but I’m reading nothing but good things about Thompson right now in the comments. Apparently he has a great offensive mind. Here’s an Athletic article from last year for those of you that subscribe.

From brawler to benevolent coach, Rocky Thompson could be...
I remember him as goon for the flames briefly. Dude loved to hit and fight. I'm shocked he's a great offensive mind because he was terrible at hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad