Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Good article but does anybody else think that Rocky’s system sounds a little Deboerish? Maybe I just have PTSD and am reading too much into this quote.

SP: Can you elaborate on what Rocky tried to do in terms of getting the puck up high then coming down with it?
TL: Yeah, we were just kind of getting numbers up top. Having three high, causing confusion and then coming down with it. The other two players beating their men to the net.”

Sounds different, feel like Deboer had three down low, and pushed the puck to the points for a shot looking for tips/redirects and rebounds.. This sounds like there will be only two low, getting to the net while a third forward stays high to interact with the Dmen, and not necessarily force passes to the point for shots.

This approach at least sounds much smarter, as the forward staying higher will hopefully act as both a relief valve for the Dmen if a pass to the point handcuffs them, so instead of having try to force a pass or shot and get it blocked and turned the other way by the defending team, they can hopefully just bump the puck to that high forward. It also should allow that high forward to able to better backcheck in the event our Dmen do still get a shot blocked, leading to hopefully a lot less breakaways/odd man rushes. Lastly if there is a forward high, I would imagine it gives guys like Burns and Karlsson a real option to skate the puck into the zone themselves, as the forward is in a position to slide into their spot at the point as they move around.

Now I may be totally wrong about what I understand about his system or the interactions involved, but if what I said above is generally correct, I think it will be a big boon to Karlsson and Burns specifically, and hopefully free them both up to be more active and creative instead of planted at the point and caught flat footed with no help in sight if they mess up a pass or shot.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Sounds different, feel like Deboer had three down low, and pushed the puck to the points for a shot looking for tips/redirects and rebounds.. This sounds like there will be only two low, getting to the net while a third forward stays high to interact with the Dmen, and not necessarily force passes to the point for shots.

This approach at least sounds much smarter, as the forward staying higher will hopefully act as both a relief valve for the Dmen if a pass to the point handcuffs them, so instead of having try to force a pass or shot and get it blocked and turned the other way by the defending team, they can hopefully just bump the puck to that high forward. It also should allow that high forward to able to better backcheck in the event our Dmen do still get a shot blocked, leading to hopefully a lot less breakaways/odd man rushes. Lastly if there is a forward high, I would imagine it gives guys like Burns and Karlsson a real option to skate the puck into the zone themselves, as the forward is in a position to slide into their spot at the point as they move around.

Now I may be totally wrong about what I understand about his system or the interactions involved, but if what I said above is generally correct, I think it will be a big boon to Karlsson and Burns specifically, and hopefully free them both up to be more active and creative instead of planted at the point and caught flat footed with no help in sight if they mess up a pass or shot.

This is what I am hoping for as well. The forwards never seemed to understand how to cover for Burns and Karlsson when they pinched in DeBoer’s system. Such an offensive approach would place a premium on two way puck movers, which the Sharks are developing throughout the system. I think Ferraro and Merkely will greatly benefit too.

The Sharks also need mobile guys to protect the front of the net. Based on Boughner’s interviews and the rise in expected goals for under Boughner, I think he cares about limiting scoring chances far more than limiting shots in the d zone. Almost like a Boudreau type system. Give up the outside, protect the middle, and transition immediately. At least, that’s what I saw toward the end of the season. Maybe a Middleton or Kyznhov (too lazy too look up) can play that role for cheap.

If all this is true, then FA and player acquisition should focus on playmaking wingers as Hertl and Couture are strong down low. I’d also expect LaBanc to thrive.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
This is what I am hoping for as well. The forwards never seemed to understand how to cover for Burns and Karlsson when they pinched in DeBoer’s system. Such an offensive approach would place a premium on two way puck movers, which the Sharks are developing throughout the system. I think Ferraro and Merkely will greatly benefit too.

The Sharks also need mobile guys to protect the front of the net. Based on Boughner’s interviews and the rise in expected goals for under Boughner, I think he cares about limiting scoring chances far more than limiting shots in the d zone. Almost like a Boudreau type system. Give up the outside, protect the middle, and transition immediately. At least, that’s what I saw toward the end of the season. Maybe a Middleton or Kyznhov (too lazy too look up) can play that role for cheap.

If all this is true, then FA and player acquisition should focus on playmaking wingers as Hertl and Couture are strong down low. I’d also expect LaBanc to thrive.

I do not think it is that they did not know how to cover for them, but simply that they were in no position to do so. Deboers system seemed to rely on the need to actually get pucks to the net from the point vs getting pucks toward the net on the shot. So if the puck never makes it to the net, all our forwards were already well behind the play going the other way. Considering we do not have a ton of super fast guys, that creates a big issue which we saw over and over under Deboer.

I do agree with the rest of your post, especially about the playmakers. I would also add that whoever is that high forward needs to be a good skater too, to actually be of use on the back check. So guys like Labanc as you said make sense there, and I think Meier is another good option from the forwards we already have. Both those guys are fully capable of passing well, but also have nice shots that they can fire off from the high/mid slot if no pass is available to the other forwards. Labanc might really thrive in that sort of position, having a bit better angles, time and and space playing a bit higher and I assume closer to the middle of the ice than along the walls.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I do not think it is that they did not know how to cover for them, but simply that they were in no position to do so. Deboers system seemed to rely on the need to actually get pucks to the net from the point vs getting pucks toward the net on the shot. So if the puck never makes it to the net, all our forwards were already well behind the play going the other way. Considering we do not have a ton of super fast guys, that creates a big issue which we saw over and over under Deboer.

I do agree with the rest of your post, especially about the playmakers. I would also add that whoever is that high forward needs to be a good skater too, to actually be of use on the back check. So guys like Labanc as you said make sense there, and I think Meier is another good option from the forwards we already have. Both those guys are fully capable of passing well, but also have nice shots that they can fire off from the high/mid slot if no pass is available to the other forwards. Labanc might really thrive in that sort of position, having a bit better angles, time and and space playing a bit higher and I assume closer to the middle of the ice than along the walls.
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Meier is better slated in one of those two forward low type roles. I think any system is going to be reliant on the org acquiring some playmakers as we have a lot of triggers and shoot first guys in Kane, Couture, Meier, and to a bit lesser extent Hertl while not having much of anyone that can create offensively outside of Labanc (who is not the most consistent at that).

I think after reading about the system that Rocky wants to run, Dadonov becomes that much more imperative in terms of UFA targets as he is the ideal fit for that 1 forward high spot given his ability to pass and create as well as shoot the puck. Not sure what the cost is going to be, but hopefully he can be had for something like $7 mil or below as cap space will get tight in trying to add someone like him without sending out Burns, since it's doubtful any poor soul will take on Vlasic's money.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Remember, we don't know what his role is going to be. As nice as his system is, it's pretty unlikely that it gets installed as is. Although from what we've heard about Boughner, he'll likely collaborate pretty closely with Rocky

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
From Lebrun's latest Athletic article.

Rocky Thompson
As my TSN colleague Darren Dreger first reported last month, the expectation is that Rocky Thompson will join Bob Boughner’s coaching staff in San Jose.
I don’t think the Sharks are in any hurry to make it official but that’s where it’s indeed headed as of now.
Of interest is that the Toronto Maple Leafs also had conversations with Thompson, who was the AHL head coach in Chicago the last three seasons, sources confirm. Which would make sense since it was announced in May that assistant coach Paul McFarland would be leaving the Leafs to coach Kingston in the OHL.
My sense is that the Leafs viewed Thompson as an excellent candidate to join Sheldon Keefe’s staff for next season but ultimately I’m told the front office just wasn’t ready to move on anyone before the playoffs. And part of that, I think, is that if the OHL doesn’t go next season because of the ongoing pandemic, perhaps McFarland could stay on with the Leafs.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Caps announced Laviolette as their next coach with a 3 year deal. Curious when DW will make an official announcement with the Rocky Thompson news already being leaked out.

Reactions: themelkman

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Caps announced Laviolette as their next coach with a 3 year deal. Curious when DW will make an official announcement with the Rocky Thompson news already being leaked out.

Nuts, he was my fav for the Sharkies. It's hard to attract better staff (e.g. coaches)
and players when you are a last place team.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
DW is waiting for Vegas' GM to force PDB's hand hand and fire Spott so he can be added behind Boughner's bench.
th

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Nuts, he was my fav for the Sharkies. It's hard to attract better staff (e.g. coaches)
and players when you are a last place team.
Still don't get the Laviolette obsession on this board. Guy is as bad as Deboer. Nashville had the leagues worst PP in 2018-19 and 25th this year. Guy has done less with more for the past 3 years and underachieved so much. Think it would be a big mistake to hire him.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Still don't get the Laviolette obsession on this board. Guy is as bad as Deboer. Nashville had the leagues worst PP in 2018-19 and 25th this year. Guy has done less with more for the past 3 years and underachieved so much. Think it would be a big mistake to hire him.

Well, 1) he's an experienced coach, 2) he's won a cup, 3) his teams have a history of winning
games and making it to the playoffs. I think he would have been a perfect fit for the Sharks.

Hard for me to judge any experienced coach on
his last few seasons, one has to look at the teams he's had and his performance over
his whole coaching carrier. Often assistant coaches, etc get to address the PP, etc.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I still want Guy Boucher, we need a stifling defense first coach to get this team to play boring, low-event hockey and limit quality scoring chances against and maybe we'll actually see an improvement in our goaltending performance

I'd rather be boring and win than be fun and lose

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Well, 1) he's an experienced coach, 2) he's won a cup, 3) his teams have a history of winning
games and making it to the playoffs. I think he would have been a perfect fit for the Sharks.

Hard for me to judge any experienced coach on
his last few seasons, one has to look at the teams he's had and his performance over
his whole coaching carrier. Often assistant coaches, etc get to address the PP, etc.
Then Randy Carlyle would be a good coach for us then too because he has a Cup and history of winning 15 years ago too. It's a what have you done for me lately world and lately Laviolette has not been good. If we hated Spott/Deboer PP's just wait to see what we would have endured under Laviolette. Not saying Boughner is going to be the next big thing, but he at least has upside to him whereas Laviolette is a low ceiling retread option.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Then Randy Carlyle would be a good coach for us then too because he has a Cup and history of winning 15 years ago too. It's a what have you done for me lately world and lately Laviolette has not been good. If we hated Spott/Deboer PP's just wait to see what we would have endured under Laviolette. Not saying Boughner is going to be the next big thing, but he at least has upside to him whereas Laviolette is a low ceiling retread option.

I believe the team needs a more NHL experienced coach that
BB. While the team was better after he took over i did not see them get wher they needed to be defensively. My concern is
some of the veteran players not buying into the system completely and the failing as a result.

I will agree that Lavi and Carlyle are retread coaches. They are still more experienced than BB.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I believe the team needs a more NHL experienced coach that
BB. While the team was better after he took over i did not see them get wher they needed to be defensively. My concern is
some of the veteran players not buying into the system completely and the failing as a result.

I will agree that Lavi and Carlyle are retread coaches. They are still more experienced than BB.

The team after deboer was fired went from 2nd to last in goals against to 12th after deboer was fired. So they moved up 18 spots in that same time frame.

The goals against per game went from 3.42 goals against to 3.03 goals against.

And most of this was done without couture, hertl, karlsson for good chunks of those games.

The defensive side was not the issue after deboer was fired, it was lack of depth upfront. And lots of the players already, just going through the motions to get the season done with.

And you keep bringing up experience when it involves laviolette. Guess how many seasons he had under his belt going into the season he won the cup? If you guess 2.5 seasons the same as boughner you would be correct.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The team after deboer was fired went from 2nd to last in goals against to 12th after deboer was fired. So they moved up 18 spots in that same time frame.

The goals against per game went from 3.42 goals against to 3.03 goals against.

And most of this was done without couture, hertl, karlsson for good chunks of those games.

The defensive side was not the issue after deboer was fired, it was lack of depth upfront. And lots of the players already, just going through the motions to get the season done with.

And you keep bringing up experience when it involves laviolette. Guess how many seasons he had under his belt going into the season he won the cup? If you guess 2.5 seasons the same as boughner you would be correct.
Great points brought up. My biggest thing is not that I think Boughner is a slam dunk hire, but more that there is not anyone else out there available that I think is any better, while there are some (I include Laviolette in this bucket) that I think are guaranteed to be worse.

Everyone here, myself included, thought Quenneville would have been a great hire. Well even Quenneville did not really elevate the Panthers above where Boughner had them in his 2 years, even after they went on an offseason spending spree trying to improve the roster.

No one else is as familiar with this group as Boughner is that would be a candidate and with a full extra long offseason to iron out a system to fit this group and target some players to add to it I think he will be a good addition. Not saying he's going to lead us to a Cup necessarily, but he will clean up a lot of the horrific habits that the dunce Deboer let go unchecked and actually coach hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad