Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thompson was a face puncher back in the day. With him and Boughner on the bench, they have to be one of the toughest coaching staffs around.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I remember him as goon for the flames briefly. Dude loved to hit and fight. I'm shocked he's a great offensive mind because he was terrible at hockey.
Not all that uncommon. It’s not like guys who are goons do it because they love it. I’m sure he thought the game well and wanted to be a skilled player. He just didn’t have the skill and did what he had to do to earn a roster spot and make a living. That’s the backstory for 80% of those types of players.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Not all that uncommon. It’s not like guys who are goons do it because they love it. I’m sure he thought the game well and wanted to be a skilled player. He just didn’t have the skill and did what he had to do to earn a roster spot and make a living. That’s the backstory for 80% of those types of players.
Totally true. Seems like the better players make shitty coaches quite often too. Gretz was terrible and I'm no fan of Adam Oates as a coach. Larry Robinson might be one of the best players and coaches. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone obvious. Just happy to hear they're bringing in some potentially innovative, new blood to work with BB who I really like. Hope it works out.

I do think they should keep Nabby on with the NHL though. I think he did some real good for both goalies after he was brought up. Also if this kid goalie coming in does play with the NHL they'll probably want Nabby working with him on a daily basis to shorten his learning curve.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
he's have some success at the AHL level. I'm okay with him as assistant. Ricci, Nabby , etc need to
return back to their original roles before this season train wrecked.

My bigger concern is that this suggests that BB is coming back as head coach next year.
I like him, just don't think he has enough experience for me to get the Sharks in the playoffs.

No we need nabby back in tye goalie coach role, he has the ability to teach even vets like jones to change mid season. It seems like nabby was not only a take what i need type of student and use it where i need it. But he also learnt from his coach on hiw to implement it into others also.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Thompson was a face puncher back in the day. With him and Boughner on the bench, they have to be one of the toughest coaching staffs around.

I just hope Thompson can or knows somebody that can run a decent PP. The Wolves were 10th in the AHL this year at around 20%.

Reactions: themelkman

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I just hope Thompson can or knows somebody that can run a decent PP. The Wolves were 10th in the AHL this year at around 20%.

I agree. Given we have BB and Thompson on the coaching team, the on ice team will need to excel at
the power play and pk this season to compete for a playoff spot. We will need a top 5 PP as with the
roster as it stands today.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Just realized Jack Capuano was on Boogie’s staff in Florida. A staff of Boughner, Thompson and Capuano wouldn’t be so bad. Though I’d love more than anything to see Chris Knoblauch on the staff with Boughner and Thompson.

Jul 10, 2010
to me that adds an element of coaching not often seen in the truely elite. Often times those who excelled at the game are unable to understand why other players cannot do as they did. Supposedly thats why the fringe guys tend to become better coaches than the Gretzkys and the Oates of the world.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
to me that adds an element of coaching not often seen in the truely elite. Often times those who excelled at the game are unable to understand why other players cannot do as they did. Supposedly thats why the fringe guys tend to become better coaches than the Gretzkys and the Oates of the world.

It goes along with not understanding. Gretzky was never needed to be coached really. He just did what came naturally, his entire thought process on the ice was where is the puck going next and how do i get there the quickest. His game plan was never a x's and o's kind of game.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Trevor Letowski on Rocky Thompson’s Analytical Bent

Good article from Sheng Peng. Sounds like Rocky Thompson is a pretty analytics driven offensive coach.

Good article but does anybody else think that Rocky’s system sounds a little Deboerish? Maybe I just have PTSD and am reading too much into this quote.

SP: Can you elaborate on what Rocky tried to do in terms of getting the puck up high then coming down with it?
TL: Yeah, we were just kind of getting numbers up top. Having three high, causing confusion and then coming down with it. The other two players beating their men to the net.”

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Good article but does anybody else think that Rocky’s system sounds a little Deboerish? Maybe I just have PTSD and am reading too much into this quote.

SP: Can you elaborate on what Rocky tried to do in terms of getting the puck up high then coming down with it?
TL: Yeah, we were just kind of getting numbers up top. Having three high, causing confusion and then coming down with it. The other two players beating their men to the net.”

Not at all the same. This sounds more like he wanted to cause mismatches up high and then using that and attacking the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad