OT: New Goal Song Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
that song is completely chantable - da daa da-da da-da da-da da DUNNA DUNNA DA - HEY! - YOU SUCK!

So crowd, just go ahead and chant it after the new goal song music stops.

Problem solved.

Being able to hear the crowd doing this over the TV feed, and sticking it to management, would be amazing.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
still dont buy that its our staff or the NHL that caused the change. theyve had years to do it

the only thing that changed was Harris/Blitzer, and it totally makes sense they want it changed to appeal to families

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
RG should post his Runnin with the Devil version to YouTube so we can tweet/email the link to the Devils. That's the best option I've heard so far and it's a great beat to clap to. Also unique and original to our organization.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
still dont buy that its our staff or the NHL that caused the change. theyve had years to do it

the only thing that changed was Harris/Blitzer, and it totally makes sense they want it changed to appeal to families

Though it makes very little sense for new owners to hop aboard and literally make the goal song one of the first issues to tackle. This has to be something the prior regime thought was a good idea and continued as planned even after the sale was finalized.

For example all of the STH changes would have taken months to implement. Just because we learned of them after the sale doesn't mean they're on the new owners.

When the team called me they didn't tell me who was responsible for the change directly. But I was told that this was mulled over for a while when I told them that it felt rushed and poorly thought through in my e-mail.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
The upstairs fans chant "You're gay you're gay you're gaaayyyyyy" when the Habs are in town and losing.

One of the many reasons not to use Ole. Solid chance that some will substitute "you suck" with "you're gay." That would be an epic backfire.

Looks like the organization pissed off 90% of the fanbase to please 10%.

'Murica.

Based off the crowd reaction against the new song and the participation levels with the old song, these percentages are probably close to the mark.

Ole just reminds me too much of Montreal.

Another of the many reasons not to use the Ole song.

that song is completely chantable - da daa da-da da-da da-da da DUNNA DUNNA DA - HEY! - YOU SUCK!

So crowd, just go ahead and chant it after the new goal song music stops.

Problem solved.

I am pretty much hoping for this, although I would prefer that the crowd loudly boo each new song until the organization caves.

I already went through this nonsense my freshman year in college. The university administration ordered the pep band to stop playing RRpt2 in what proved to be a futile effort to stifle "hey you suck!" chants at basketball games. It ended up increasing the intensity and frequency of the chant as our large student section started chanting the banned musical portion leading up to the "hey you suck!" I doubt the administration counted on each incoming freshman class learning the tradition but when I graduated it was still going strong.

Not sure if our less organized and enthusiastic professional sports crowd (compared to a Division I college basketball student section) is going to be able to sustain an organized opposition to the song change. Sections with some type of identity like the Diablos and Crazies should coordinate when and how to start the chant. Anyone know if the Diablos are already under orders not to chant "you suck!" anymore given that they are sort of under the team's thumb now?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
seems like the team is being very very forward about not going back to RR2. which leads me to believe if fans boo and carry on like this long enough, they will cave. but by saying ‘we surely wont’ they figure they will deter that.

I don’t care, either way. the goal song thing is very minor, but it kinda ruined opening night for me (obviously along with the loss). make it something similar to RR2, or just keep on booing

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
that would explain barch's 'turn the other cheek' mentality from preseason..

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown

NBC Sports twisted MLS's arm this year about audible chants with foul language. Could very well be the case here too.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That is absurdly scary that those people are so dumb. You have to be joking and if not stay far away from these nutjobs.

I would agree with you, except I reject the premise to begin with.

I grew up in New Jersey and have been a Devils fan for longer than likely 97.5% of people on this board, and have never once in my entire life met someone who was not permitted to go to Devils games because the team name is the "Devils".

Now, clearly we do have one such example in this thread, so we know it's possible, but to claim that there are "many" people like this is statistically absurd.

And that's not even broaching the point that the "Devils" are actually named after a mythical creature with multiple explanations for its' genesis, only one of which actually even involves satan.

This of course has just been one more completely comical turn this trainwreck of a thread has taken. :nod:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I would agree with you, except I reject the premise to begin with.

I grew up in New Jersey and have been a Devils fan for longer than likely 97.5% of people on this board, and have never once in my entire life met someone who was not permitted to go to Devils games because the team name is the "Devils".

Now, clearly we do have one such example in this thread, so we know it's possible, but to claim that there are "many" people like this is statistically absurd.

And that's not even broaching the point that the "Devils" are actually named after a mythical creature with multiple explanations for its' genesis, only one of which actually even involves satan.

This of course has just been one more completely comical turn this trainwreck of a thread has taken. :nod:

We've had quite the problem with qualifiers like most/many and percentages throughout this entire conversation. There was a time where people insisted that the split at the arena regarding the goal song was 50/50 :shakehead

Many is, again, subjective. If you're expecting me to point out thousands of people then I can't do that. But I can certainly point out churches full of people who aren't allowed to go to Devils games or follow the team and those people live right here in New Jersey.

The point, to reiterate, is simple - of all the things that can be interpreted as "offensive" to target "you suck!" is a little ridiculous. Given that worse things are said and other things can be interpreted as far more offensive in the proper circles.

Because that's what we're dealing with here. Sector of the fanbase who are offended/displeased with the chant. You're not going to please everyone. I think the Devils are finding that out the very very hard way. Which is why they're frantically reaching out to anyone who complained, calling them by phone and assuring them that this will be addressed.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
some things I think I've learned in the thread:

1) no matter what you think of the goal song, you are selfish or entitled because you have expressed an opinion either way

2) The Devils name is offensive and some people would change it, how about Redskins?

3) Sucks is among the most offensive things a human can say - other things, not as much

4) Who ever is influencing the Devils to change the song isn't being revealed, and is a moron

I love comedy though, so let's keep it open
How 'bout them Jets

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Would prefer keeping RRPT2, but Chelsea Dagger is my choice. Upbeat, and can get the whole crowd into it. Hope that's one of the options in this reported fan vote.

Dagger is now the Blackhawks song....I like Ole, Jersey band has some ties but it is a soccer euro feel song. I loved maria(DOOP)..the flyers changed to TNT and they are getting alot of crap too, Running with the Devils or a edit version of Fall Out Boy are both good suggestions. The Devils cannot go back to RR2 the you suck would be escalated to such an extend that the reasons for the change would be magnified x1000.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Dagger is now the Blackhawks song....I like Ole, Jersey band has some ties but it is a soccer euro feel song. I loved maria(DOOP)..the flyers changed to TNT and they are getting alot of crap too, Running with the Devils or a edit version of Fall Out Boy are both good suggestions. The Devils cannot go back to RR2 the you suck would be escalated to such an extend that the reasons for the change would be magnified x1000.

Ole is to Montreal as Chelsea Dagger is to Chicago. They should be able to find something unique and original. No Seven Nation Army, Zombie Nation, Song 2, etc. Those songs are used by every organization in sports.

Mory Schneideur*

Where did you grow up, Waco, Texas?

Catholic school as a kid frowned upon us being Devils fans too. They didn't forbid it, but we heard constant lectures about how it's basically indirectly worshiping symbols of the devil.

Also looked at as wrong when we did the rock and roll hand symbol ("this rocks").

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I still find it hysterical, that they have opted to change a goal song, that 100% of the crowd chanted, because 90% added You Suck on the end of it. If anything, that means you have a great goal song that every fan participates in and you trashed it because plumber Joe and Soccer Mom Sally didn't like that Tiny Tim heard a lot of people shout "You Suck" While Frat Boy Frank sits 3 rows behind them drinking 2 beers at a time and every other word out of his mouth is ****.

Stupid decision. People will still go, I'll still go, but hearing some crappy song is really going to ruin the celebration for me.

Does anyone remember back in 2010, the buffalo game (last of the regular season I believe) where the PA system went out and after the Devils scored, the horn blared (back when it went for what seemed like an eternity) and then there was just nothing after it, just crowd noise?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Cool, 2 can play at this game. We will just invent new chants, and possibly even better and more crude cringe-worthy ones.

I'm not playing a game. I'm making a statement of fact. You totally can come up with new chants, and feel free to make them as crude as you want. The team just will not do anything to support or enable such action. If/when it gets out of hand, they'll do something to attempt to curb it, but that's it. That would happen regardless at any place if it gets too out of hand, not just here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad