OT: New Goal Song Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
lol I shudder to think how testy the crowd's going to be if we're still winless next Saturday (which isn't impossible if they somehow **** up the Calgary game).

I'm a retired STH so it entertains me. See how much you can rustle people's jimmies and watch it backfire on you. No Kovalchuk, price increases, calling fans scalpers for not being able to attend more than 21 games and being unwilling to eat their tickets, a now 10-26 stretch of hockey with no 1st round draft pick (see Kovalchuk), an unbelieveable amount of negative press because of the prior owner, etc... and let's decide to blindside everyone by changing the goal song because fans chant "suck" to it, and then replace it with the most cliche thing we can think of.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE PATH TO 99% RENEWALS

Mory Schneideur*

If I had to choose seriously, it would be Fall Out Boy - Lite em up. Mentions lighting up, being on fire, has an "ohh ohhhhh" part we can sing along to... And of course we can always incorporate a "you suck" somewhere.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Worst goal songs ever in the history of NJ

1) Bon Jovi
2) Ole
3) Everything else not RRP2

However, for Ole... "you suck, you suck you suck you suck, yooou suucckkk, yooou succkkkkk" :sarcasm:

The upstairs fans chant "You're gay you're gay you're gaaayyyyyy" when the Habs are in town and losing.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
The upstairs fans chant "You're gay you're gay you're gaaayyyyyy" when the Habs are in town and losing.

hahahahaha i was going to say that but if people on this board think "you suck" is offensive, I can't imagine their reaction if people chanted that. I bet the other choices are Ole, Zombie Nation, and Song 2

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I wasn't allowed to go to Devils games as a kid.

Not because the Continental Airlines Arena was a trek from home, though it was.

But because the name and logo was inspired by Satan and evil. Indeed, when your mascot is supposed to be a caricature of Satan and you play "Hells Bells" when your players hit the ice, it's celebrating evil. So, my Christian family wasn't about to let me go to a game.

Maybe that's a bit more offensive. Maybe they should change the name of the team to make it family-friendly. Maybe they should move the team from scary Newark to Hoboken if they want the kiddies to come.

Going after the goal song is not going to increase their revenue. That's for sure.

Hells Bells is more offensive than RRP2.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I love the Bouncing Souls (Most of their stuff from the past 10 years isn't that good though) but I don't really like Ole. Sometimes I skip that song when listening to that album.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If the song must stay changed, and I don't believe it will, this is the only almost suitable replacement imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHlK8ZXgvE

Song would start at 2:54, otherwise it would have to be cut up. It also should probably be remastered.

The band is mostly from Glen Rock and Somerville, the lyrics are mostly about New Jersey, and it even has a reference to Newark. There's a great dig at Born to Run in it as well.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Titus_Andronicus:A_More_Perfect_Union

Last edited:

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Not a fan of Ole as a choice whatsoever. This whole thing is going to backfire on the new owners, no matter what the choice...I need popcorn to watch this play out. These past 2 threads alone have generated some great entertainment.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Would prefer keeping RRPT2, but Chelsea Dagger is my choice. Upbeat, and can get the whole crowd into it. Hope that's one of the options in this reported fan vote.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
That's fair, but I like it as a chant overall. Certainly was better than Zombie Nation or Song 2 as a goal song.

Zombie Nation is just terrible. Like I said, it's going to be very interesting what songs they choose to "try out". I don't think anything is going to work, fan picked or not.

Go to the game, cheer for the goals, and don't participate in the song if you don't like it. Simple, right? I go for the team..not the song choice.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

But because the name and logo was inspired by Satan and evil. Indeed, when your mascot is supposed to be a caricature of Satan and you play "Hells Bells" when your players hit the ice, it's celebrating evil. So, my Christian family wasn't about to let me go to a game.

Maybe that's a bit more offensive. Maybe they should change the name of the team to make it family-friendly. Maybe they should move the team from scary Newark to Hoboken if they want the kiddies to come.

Going after the goal song is not going to increase their revenue. That's for sure.

You'd be surprised how many fans the Devils have alienated because of their name. I'm sure your Christian family would have let you chant "You Suck!" live at CAA supporting the New Jersey Saints.

I've tried to explain the origin of the name to families like yours, but it's still not acceptable to them. They associate the name, logo, mascot and even the colors (yes, the colors) with Satan.

So fighting this battle with the goal song seems pretty silly in context.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Zombie Nation is just terrible. Like I said, it's going to be very interesting what songs they choose to "try out". I don't think anything is going to work, fan picked or not.

Go to the game, cheer for the goals, and don't participate in the song if you don't like it. Simple, right? I go for the team..not the song choice.

I think Seven Nation Army makes far too much sense. I think it's very easy to chant to, very easy to incorporate the Devils (Seven Nation Devils Army), and it allows the Devils to mold a positive message.

I also do believe that if the Devils picked a recognizable song with a catchy chant - everyone would welcome it after the Devils scored.

Here's what gets lost in all of this - the last time the Devils tried this it DID NOT received this sort of response. The Devils gave notice, involved the fans, and put forth an effort to make the song ours. So if the Devils reset their strategy here and involve the fans, I don't think we'll see a ton of backlash.

Just please for the love of God provide some guidance on the big screen.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Where did you grow up, Waco, Texas?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You'd be surprised how many fans the Devils have alienated because of their name. I'm sure your Christian family would have let you chant "You Suck!" live at CAA supporting the New Jersey Saints.

I've tried to explain the origin of the name to families like yours, but it's still not acceptable to them. They associate the name, logo, mascot and even the colors (yes, the colors) with Satan.
So fighting this battle with the goal song seems pretty silly in context.

That is absurdly scary that those people are so dumb.
You have to be joking and if not stay far away from these nutjobs.

As said above, Ole is Montreal, not Jersey.

The Devils have screwed up here, the vast majority of the fanbase who attend games love RR2 and associate it with our tradition and gameday experience.
Let's remember that the Devils played Tag Team's Whoomp! (There it is) as our goal song during a season in the 90s.
That was a major embarrassment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdKsgBNEHUU

Last edited:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
That is absurdly scary that those people are so dumb.

You have to be joking and if not stay far away from these nutjobs.

I'm very tolerant of other people's beliefs. I met a lot of people, especially in college, with different beliefs. Befriended/dated them. If I'm friends with a person I'll tag along to their church just to at least understand where they're coming from on some of the things we don't see eye to eye with. (Understand, not accept or agree).

So I've met a few people, attended a few sermons and masses, and believe it or not it has been an issue. Some people are incredibly conservative and unwavering in their opinion that evil lurks, temptation is everywhere. While I'm not as paranoid and pessimistic as some others, I can understand their position. Which, instead of calling them crazy (I don't think they are anyway), I try a different approach - distancing the name "Devils" from Satan.

Honestly you would be very surprised how many people living in New Jersey, especially in the Norther Suburbs, would never associate themselves with the team because of the name.

I think that there are many more things that can be perceived as "offensive" to people than the words "You Suck!" I think that was the other poster's point and that's a point I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad