Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That weeknight traffic on the 101 down by the 202 is going to be every bit the joy-killer that you'd find anywhere else on the Phoenix freeways. Once the newness wears off the new barn, the same people who complain about the drive to Glendale will complain about the drive to Tempe. Those are the folks who need guaranteed success for motivation. The die-hards will go regardless, and the casuals will just debate the theory over and over again.

That's how it is in this state for everything. There's too much to do for people to get good and obsessed over one thing, like they do in Green Bay, and there's not enough population density to healthfully support four sports like California and New York do. So when the teams do well, they draw - particularly late in the season - and when they don't people find other things to do.

Building a new barn in a new place isn't going to change Arizona's human nature.

Suns, Dbacks and Cardinals are all perfect examples of this. The Cardinals are the freaking NFL and it's easy to get tickets for their games right now and they only play 8 regular season home games. When they played in Tempe we were told they didn't draw because it was too hot even though ASU sold out regularly. It's because the SUCKED! The Suns are crying for a new arena because they want more taxpayer money...errrr it is outdated. So you're telling me attendance is down because it's an outdated arena and not the fact that the team has been garbage for over a half decade. Yeah right. This is all about subsidy. It never has been about attendance or the fans. Like everything else in this country, the rich get richer and we get the shaft. I can't wait until this is over. Even though I won't be able to go to games unless I get a different job, I'll still be happy whoever the owner is won't be able to use the arena location as an excuse anymore. I'd be willing to be the subsidy goes in the owner's pocket before any of it makes it to the ice though.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I can’t get partial season tickets because of the drive. I’ll pick up a weekday game ticket last second if I can make it. I usually don’t know until the day of the game. Weekend games I can make it and the drive doesn’t bug me. Those weekday games are almost impossible. I have to leave work early for every weekday game.

If they build a stadium at 101/202 I will gladly drop money on season tickets. That drive will be about 30 mins compared to almost two hours.

Win or lose, it does not change my commute. And I can’t take off work early to go to a hockey game almost every other week.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
When I had season tickets, I lived in Tempe one season (29 miles from the arena) and Mesa the other (35 miles from the arena). In the case of the season where I lived in Mesa, I worked in southern Phoenix (48th/Baseline) and for workday games (I was on a Thursday-Monday schedule at the time so Tuesday games were an exception), I was also lucky enough to depart work for the arena at 4 p.m. instead of a more normal 5 p.m. from the area, since I worked 7-4 instead of a more typical 8 or 9 to 5. I'll just say that, because I lost my train of thought now. :laugh:

Stealth edit: Tuesday games were a breeze to get to but that's because Tuesday was my equivalent of a normal person's Saturday so I left early to beat downtown rush hour traffic, usually arriving at Westgate around 3:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. start. That's the exception to the rule though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have a pretty good idea of what the fine print says. I can tell you fundamentally that the lender and the guarantor, if it is the NHL, do not want to foreclose and/or force Barroways hand. That is always a last resort. If Barroway is in default, there is a cure period and extensions to sort it all out. The NHL won't go down that path because of the bad press alone. I doubt there is anything hostile going on, everyone wants a solution.

I think the bottom line is that Barroway wanted control and he got it. Barroway now needs outside investors and can't find a minority investor that will let him keep the control he wants. Barroway might now be like the former ownership group, meaning buy me out if you want me to give up control. The team will stay in AZ regardless, that much is clear, the NHL isn't leaving the valley.
The NHL wouldn't let AB default. I have no idea why we all are talking about this anyway. The team is staying like you mentioned and that is all I care about. I do expect new owners this year though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve talked a lot of smack about the west side on this forum over the years. It was pointless and ignorant. I don’t know anything about the west side. I’ve only been there for Coyotes games. I’m sure it’s fine. Like any other suburb.

I regret typing out of my ass so much on the subject. If the team moves closer to Scottsdale, I think that’s best long-term but I feel for the west side fans who’ve been supporting this team the entire time I’ve been boycotting. I don’t think I’ve been to a game in two years.

I’m going to try to buy a ticket to the Doan jersey game soon, if single games aren’t already sold out. But that’s probably it for me. I’ve had some great memories at west gate (Doan’s hatty, Wizard’s 1000th, multiple whiteouts, etc) but I just cannot bring myself to make the sacrifice of time necessary to drive the whole way out there to watch a crappy team being run ina frustrating way that I disagreed with.

I have a four year old, a one year old, and both my wife and I work full-time (for salary, which means way more than full-time but for free-what a f***ing scam salary is) and both have to travel for work. It’s tough for me to take six hours just for myself and leave my wife alone to tend to the family. Just so I can go watch a crappy hockey team? Nah. We try to spend our free time together as much as possible.

The Coyotes just haven’t seemed like a better use of my time since I’ve had kids. I DVR games and watch them late at night while my entire family is asleep. That’s about where the Coyotes rank on my list of priorities; right behind everything but my “earlier bedtime” goal. Pretty much every other concern I have day-to-day takes priority.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not sure of your point?

You used the “obstructed seats” excuse to play down the differences the attendance between GRA and AWA and I merely showed what a fallacy it was.

I’m not that concerned about where the arena is. I’m more concerned about the stability of the franchise itself. The entire location argument here is based on fans who want the convenience of having the franchise in their back yard.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
@rt - Take the family to a game? Weekends could minimize your travel. The days of a crappy team appear to be over too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@rt - Take the family to a game? Weekends could minimize your travel. The days of a crappy team appear to be over too.
That sounds like hell on earth. Someone would have to pay me $200 dollars to get me to do that. My older son turned 4 last month. My younger turned 1 on the same day. Three years from now, I’ll take the kids to games regularly if they’re interested. Right now? Just shoot me. Haha.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I don't care about the west valley and their feelings. They have proven not to be able to support the Coyotes.
I know for a fact where I work the majority of people who used to have season tickets from Scottsdale , Chandler and Gilbert refuse to do so now that the team moved way out to the sticks.
I don't care about downtown. The team can THRIVE in the east valley. The location talked about now will be perfect. I live at the 101/san tan 202. It would be perfect to drive up to the location while keeping it far enough not to bottle up traffic around here. I know it's selfish.

Reactions: Murf and Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That sounds like hell on earth. Someone would have to pay me $200 dollars to get me to do that. My older son turned 4 last month. My younger turned 1 on the same day. Three years from now, I’ll take the kids to games regularly if they’re interested. Right now? Just shoot me. Haha.

Kids are a game changer.

Grandkids are a completely different level. Not to mention the sleep deprivation. :laugh:

Reactions: Yandover

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

Took the family (3 yr old, 10 mo th old) and my wife to the Tampa game last Saturday. Got through the first period and packed it up and went home.

I wouldn’t recommend it, either.

Reactions: Murf and Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Took the family (3 yr old, 10 mo th old) and my wife to the Tampa game last Saturday. Got through the first period and packed it up and went home.

I wouldn’t recommend it, either.

A couple of years ago the wife got lower level tickets for us, her oldest son’s family, his sister in law and her daughter. The two sisters and their daughters bailed before the end of the first.

Wife was.... well shall we say.... agitated

Reactions: Edenjung and RemoAZ

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I’ve talked a lot of smack about the west side on this forum over the years. It was pointless and ignorant. I don’t know anything about the west side. I’ve only been there for Coyotes games. I’m sure it’s fine. Like any other suburb.

I regret typing out of my ass so much on the subject. If the team moves closer to Scottsdale, I think that’s best long-term but I feel for the west side fans who’ve been supporting this team the entire time I’ve been boycotting. I don’t think I’ve been to a game in two years.

I’m going to try to buy a ticket to the Doan jersey game soon, if single games aren’t already sold out. But that’s probably it for me. I’ve had some great memories at west gate (Doan’s hatty, Wizard’s 1000th, multiple whiteouts, etc) but I just cannot bring myself to make the sacrifice of time necessary to drive the whole way out there to watch a crappy team being run ina frustrating way that I disagreed with.

I have a four year old, a one year old, and both my wife and I work full-time (for salary, which means way more than full-time but for free-what a ****ing scam salary is) and both have to travel for work. It’s tough for me to take six hours just for myself and leave my wife alone to tend to the family. Just so I can go watch a crappy hockey team? Nah. We try to spend our free time together as much as possible.

The Coyotes just haven’t seemed like a better use of my time since I’ve had kids. I DVR games and watch them late at night while my entire family is asleep. That’s about where the Coyotes rank on my list of priorities; right behind everything but my “earlier bedtime” goal. Pretty much every other concern I have day-to-day takes priority.

Pretty sure we all held some unwarranted, unnecessary grudge against Glendale at one point. It's not a bad City, the area around the arena is beautiful, just such a drive for majority of us and the shenanigans that have occurred with the council in the past kind of just added to the hatred. I feel bad for our West-siders. Must feel weird seeing your home bashed by fellow hockey fans all rooting for the same cause.

Feel bad for us though since we can't make it to most games ;) i kid.

Speaking of the Shane Doan retirement night, best chances of you getting there are through an outside party of some sort. Maybe look at StubHub, or anybody on these boards. I wanted to take my dad to that game and the only way I could was by buying a flex pack. Good news i solidified my seat for that game (and get to go to more.) Bad news is I spent a lot more money than I honestly thought I might to do so.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That weeknight traffic on the 101 down by the 202 is going to be every bit the joy-killer that you'd find anywhere else on the Phoenix freeways. Once the newness wears off the new barn, the same people who complain about the drive to Glendale will complain about the drive to Tempe. Those are the folks who need guaranteed success for motivation. The die-hards will go regardless, and the casuals will just debate the theory over and over again.

That's how it is in this state for everything. There's too much to do for people to get good and obsessed over one thing, like they do in Green Bay, and there's not enough population density to healthfully support four sports like California and New York do. So when the teams do well, they draw - particularly late in the season - and when they don't people find other things to do.

Building a new barn in a new place isn't going to change Arizona's human nature.
I agree, plenty to do in AZ, thats why people live here. The difference will be in the season ticket base which will be stronger with an east valley location. The other difference will be the going out to dinner and bar crowds in Scottsdale and Tempe will be more likely to catch a game as well. They won't drive to Glendale to do it.

Larger season ticket base plus more casual fans will help attendance and revenue.

Reactions: Yandover
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad