Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It seems to me attendance was pretty much the same in Glendale until the 09/10 season and has suffered since. Although its getting close to downtown numbers again now.

Yeah but the metro population is much greater that it was in the early 2000's. Attendance isnt growing despite this growth in PHX population.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah but the metro population is much greater that it was in the early 2000's. Attendance isnt growing despite this growth in PHX population.
As an avid hockey fan I stopped paying to watch that display a few years ago as well. I doubt some of those teams would have sold out in Toronto!!!

Reactions: RemoAZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
All of the valley has nice areas, the east valley is just more of a destination and has more potential for more season ticket holders given the affluence.

The main reason that there might be more season ticket holders is that most of the richest families who have an interest in hockey - the ones who have their kids in the prestigious youth hockey programs on the East Valley sheets - live around there. The only people I know who consider Scottsdale a "destination" are the ones who already live out there.

I live in Surprise and have no problem with the team moving out to the speculated site. I'd prefer it over downtown honestly. Downtown is a nightmare to navigate.

Agreed. I much prefer a new arena where it's being theorized in this thread to one downtown. It's far better located and it's far more accessible than one downtown would be - notwithstanding the tremendously awful weeknight traffic jams on the 101 and 202 in the evenings.

Last edited:

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
It seems to me attendance was pretty much the same in Glendale until the 09/10 season and has suffered since. Although its getting close to downtown numbers again now.
Theres a reason for that. My east side family had partial season tickets when they were downtown and we kept them when they moved to Glendale for a year or two. But the nightmare of trying to travel that far east even on a Saturday caused us to give up on season tickets. A few other family friends had the same complaints so we all started going to Dbacks games instead.

Reactions: knich

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Just come join us on the east side, we have pizza!

Offer something else, because we're just fine for pizza out here - I mean, sure, Pizzeria Bianco is downtown and nothing can beat it, but between Grimaldi's, Graziano's, La Piazza al Forno, Char, Giordano's, and etc., we have no need to leave our neighborhood for a fantastic pie... :D

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Call in the loan and he doesn't have a choice if he can't refinance. I'm just talking out of my ass but wasn't there some speculation that the NHL has some involvement with Barroway's debt?
If that is indeed the case - Barroway sez "How high?" when the NHL says Jump.
Because loans don't work that way. They can't arbitrarily call in the loan, its not a mafia loan.

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Offer something else, because we're just fine for pizza out here - I mean, sure, Pizzeria Bianco is downtown and nothing can beat it, but between Grimaldi's, Graziano's, La Piazza al Forno, Char, Giordano's, and etc., we have no need to leave our neighborhood for a fantastic pie... :D
Haha yea I don't think either side has anything particularly unique. You can find some great food at both ends, I just love a great slice of pie.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This isn't a fill out this form at your local bank branch loan. None of us know the terms or when it's up for renewal.
True, I haven't seen the loan doc but have been involved with enough of these types of financings to know how they work. They can't call the loan.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
True, I haven't seen the loan doc but have been involved with enough of these types of financings to know how they work. They can't call the loan.
As you pointed out none of have seen the loan documents - typically a loan of this magnitude has multiple covenants written, which could very easily leave Barroway at the mercy of the lender in the event any of the covenants are breached. Barroway is no rube but he's also playing in a league far above his means. He's a wealthy man but a cobbler by NHL ownership standards.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
As you pointed out none of have seen the loan documents - typically a loan of this magnitude has multiple covenants written, which could very easily leave Barroway at the mercy of the lender in the event any of the covenants are breached. Barroway is no rube but he's also playing in a league far above his means. He's a wealthy man but a cobbler by NHL ownership standards.
Barroway isn't stupid and the NHL or any lender at this level isn't going to make a loan designed to fail and break covenants. FYI, covenants are hard to breach anyway, and there is a cure period. The last thing the NHL wants is a foreclosure proceeding, its just not going to happen.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If not for the feckless Scottsdale City Council the area would be in Scottsdale right now. So consider it a gift that the arena has been in the west valley the last 10 years. And the west side had 10 years to prove itself relevant. Have a look at the attendance numbers the past 10 years and the attendance numbers in downtown Phoenix and you will answer your own question.

I did look.....

Phoenix Coyotes yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Attendance numbers in Glendale were 1-2,000 per game higher the first five years, than the last three years at AWA and for the past four years at GRA have been on par with those last three at AWA in spite of the team's performance.

Sure the arena would be in Scottsdale..... but would Scottsdale have shoveled out the $50 million over two years to the NHL plus agree to all the other subsidy support to keep the team there like Glendale did??? Ellman was playing with borrowed money he didn't have. The recession exposed this.

Scottsdale's city council was skeptical of Ellman and how much financial stability he had backing the Los Arcos project and they were proven to be right.

And if Glendale had not stepped up (to the tune of about $400 million when you add everything they've put into it) this franchise would have been in Portland the past 18 years. Consider THAT a gift.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I'll drive or light rail to Tempe any day if it keeps the team here.

This. I really, really hope they put said "arena" in a place accessible to the light rail, or have the city of Phoenix chip in on expanding the light rail out to it somehow.

I basically grew up in GRA (save for going to a few of the final games at AWA downtown) because I lived on the West Side and was about 15 minutes up the freeway from it.

Not having the light rail going to a potential new arena will still hinder attendance I believe.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've never been to Phoenix so I looked up where 101 meets 202. The location seemed like an odd choice, pretty far from downtown and not even that close to Scottsdale. I looked at the map again and I see that I was looking at the wrong spot. The same roads intersect twice. Anyways, seems like a great location to this guy who knows nothing.

Reactions: Edenjung

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've never been to Phoenix so I looked up where 101 meets 202. The location seemed like an odd choice, pretty far from downtown and not even that close to Scottsdale. I looked at the map again and I see that I was looking at the wrong spot. The same roads intersect twice. Anyways, seems like a great location to this guy who knows nothing.

The demographic center of Phoenix is to the east of downtown, basically at that intersection. Phoenix is built diagonally between the reservation on the Scottsdale side and a mountain range on the south side. Downtown Phoenix is actually developing really nicely but the ingress/egress is just a bitch and a half with all the traffic. The original ASU plan would have been twice as ideal, on Tempe town lake across from the largest shopping mall in the area (Tempe Marketplace) and in range of the ASU campus/light rail/trolley. Building on the rez just NW of there is okay too. Worth noting that there's a lot more corporate money on that side of town beyond just personal spending as well. Tourism wise there's no comparison, Glendale is a hole.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Yeah, not so much a problem these days with automated driving instructions, but those can be referred to as the Red Mountain 202 (north) and the San Tan 202 (south). I used to live at the 202 and alma school and always had to make sure the supershuttle guy knew which one I meant. ("Exit 48")

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
A free game shuttle from Westgate to the new arena would be a good way to show appreciation for the West Valley fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad