Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't care about the west valley and their feelings. They have proven not to be able to support the Coyotes.
I know for a fact where I work the majority of people who used to have season tickets from Scottsdale , Chandler and Gilbert refuse to do so now that the team moved way out to the sticks.

The fact that you don't get the irony of these two sentences in direct proximity to each other is pretty funny.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think the team will do marginally better in this spot. Something in the range of an extra 500-1000 per game. Granted if we're winning that's a totally different discussion. It's been seen across all Arizona sports teams that Arizona sports fans are very fair weather. The formula is simple in that if the team is good, Arizona fans will find ways to attend. Don't think the location of the arena has a huge affect. But like I said, 500ish extra fans if the stadium were closer to East valley is what I'd expect

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Playoffs? Playoffs? Many opposition fans there were.

Traffic is miserable all over. Moving the arena close to 75% of the fan base sucks for you West Siders, for sure, but is the right thing to do.
I live smack dab central, so piss up a rope, if you're hell bent on blowing money for no reason.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So do I but the NHL has said the current model will not work long term. So it's this or they go to Houston.
I don't buy that. The league threatened Glendale for years and here they still are. Of course Glendale literally ponied up millions.
Would like to see what a winning team for more than a year, or two, combined with an economy finally coming to the original plans fruition would do for attendance before we bilk anyone else for yet another new arena.

Reactions: RemoAZ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The fact that you don't get the irony of these two sentences in direct proximity to each other is pretty funny.
What an incredible find by you.

Let me clarify it for you. The East Valley has many more fans with much more money but they rightfully will not battle 2 hours of traffic for a hockey game in an area which is largely an eyesore.

The West Valley can support a few monster truck shows but has been an abysmal failure in supporting baseball and hockey. Only reason Football works somewhat is that games are on Sunday and there is only 8 per year.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What an incredible find by you.

Let me clarify it for you. The East Valley has many more fans with much more money but they rightfully will not battle 2 hours of traffic for a hockey game in an area which is largely an eyesore.

The West Valley can support a few monster truck shows but has been an abysmal failure in supporting baseball and hockey. Only reason Football works somewhat is that games are on Sunday and there is only 8 per year.

Half the home games at GRA are on the weekend. So what’s the next excuse??

..... and some wonder why most of Phoenix Metro refer to Scottsdale as “Snobsdale” ??

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m thinking that you are taking a data driven decision not to your liking very personally. I feel for the West Siders and you as well. It may stink, but in the Age of Millennials convenience rules, above even price and quality. Most of the industry disruptions are convenience based. This is the basis of a move to the East Valley. A more convenient drive for more of the fans.

Reactions: CC96

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm certainly no expert on the Valley but I Can't see that big of a travel distance from North Scottsdale to Glendale as opposed to the several other suggested sites suggested in last few years?? Wgen you take ease if getting in and out of arena into account it's even less. I see the issue with the SE Valley.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm certainly no expert on the Valley but I Can't see that big of a travel distance from North Scottsdale to Glendale as opposed to the several other suggested sites suggested in last few years?? Wgen you take ease if getting in and out of arena into account it's even less. I see the issue with the SE Valley.
Take the drive and then opine. Some information just can’t be obtained from Google Maps. I live in Ahwatukee but used to live in Scottsdale. Both drives are bears during rush hour.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Take the drive and then opine. Some information just can’t be obtained from Google Maps. I live in Ahwatukee but used to live in Scottsdale. Both drives are bears during rush hour.
I have driven North Scottdale back to West side numerous times at rush hour after golf, it's not that big of a deal. Certainly less congested than the 101 on the East Side.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
If they could ever finish construction on the 10 West of downtown it'd make everything about half the headache that it is IMO but they're never gonna finish that f***ing project

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Half the home games at GRA are on the weekend. So what’s the next excuse??

..... and some wonder why most of Phoenix Metro refer to Scottsdale as “Snobsdale” ??

I have always said that - you use the excuse of traffic but where are all of you on Saturday night when traffic isn't a problem.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have always said that - you use the excuse of traffic but where are all of you on Saturday night when traffic isn't a problem.
Traffic sucks. Having said that, I’m not driving 100 miles round-trip to see a train wreck of a team, even in light traffic. The newly rumored site is only 20 miles away and the team is starting to look pretty okay. That changes things for me, traffic notwithstanding.

Reactions: Yandover and RABBIT

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I don't expect anyone to come and they haven't and won't in the future no matter where the team plays when they are garbage. Throw in the decade long relocation rumors and this team hasn't had a chance to draw. They'll make the drive if the team keeps winning, if there are tickets available anyway.

Last edited:

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Maybe it's just me but it seems like Saturday and even Friday night games have a much higher attendance than a Tuesday game.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I don’t get why people on the West Side would be upset about having the arena centrally located in North Tempe.

If the stadium was being prospected for far east Mesa, or Apache Junction, or something, I would totally understand

It can take 80+ minutes in rush hour to get from Mesa/Gilbert out to Glendale, and it’s not like the stadium is gonna be out in Queen Creek.

North Tempe would take 40ish minutes to reach in rush hour from Glendale on the far west side, and 40 minutes to reach in rush hour from Gilbert/Mesa on the far east side.

All the most affluent and notable citites in metro area would be even closer. A Tempe arena location seems to me like a simple, logical compromise, and has the most potential for success overall.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe it's just me but it seems like Saturday and even Friday night games have a much higher attendance than a Tuesday game.
Saturday's are better attended in general and they will be better no matter the location. What's a real head scratcher is that folks still manage to show up late on Saturday.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
For over 10 years all we have wanted is long-term stability in Arizona. Somebody comes out with apparent inside information that it could be happening and now we are fighting and griping about it lol. We do torture ourselves, it's the Coyote way.

If any of this is true, I'm just happy we are staying.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t get why people on the West Side would be upset about having the arena centrally located in North Tempe.

If the stadium was being prospected for far east Mesa, or Apache Junction, or something, I would totally understand

It can take 80+ minutes in rush hour to get from Mesa/Gilbert out to Glendale, and it’s not like the stadium is gonna be out in Queen Creek.

North Tempe would take 40ish minutes to reach in rush hour from Glendale on the far west side, and 40 minutes to reach in rush hour from Gilbert/Mesa on the far east side.

All the most affluent and notable citites in metro area would be even closer. A Tempe arena location seems to me like a simple, logical compromise, and has the most potential for success overall.

I’m not upset.

I live in the upscale community of Tolleson. :laugh:

I spent the first few years in AZ commuting from West Phoenix to eastern Mesa to work. I’ve also had to commute to NE Scottsdale from the same place. The latter drive was easier. So I have a bit more understanding for those people coming from the Gilbert/Chandler/Mesa/Queen Creek areas than the other.

Also take into consideration the affects the recession had. 10+ years later and I’m still treading water. And going through what I’m dealing with the past two weeks hasn’t helped either.

Like I said at the outset. I’m more concerned with the franchise having a stable situation than anything. And the reservation site(s) are about the only options left for them.

For me.... Economics determine whether I attend a game or not these days. The drive to the arena is way down on the list.

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad