Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I feel like AB is a fine owner, the problem is he simply doesn't have enough money.

Agreed, he's the kind of owner I want. He stays hidden, just provides the tools necessary and lets the minds do their thing. He rarely ever speaks in public, unlike the previous group we had. Unfortunately he just doesn't seem to have the capital to help push this team further along.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He never intended to keep the team. He never intended to improve its long term potential. He saw an opportunity where league expansion was driving franchise values up. He bought the house on borrowed money, ripped out the carpet, put on a layer of paint and put it back on the market. He's a hedge fund manager. Team ownership might look like a hobby or passion but it's just a flip.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Update:
The progress will really kick in once Barroway is officially no longer a part of the organization.

At the moment, the land analysis and Native American cultural education class (mandatory request by them) has been completed.

No setbacks, but not a ton of progress yet (again, until the get AB removed completely).
I'm not following. Are you saying the sale is going to happen first and then the arena? I don't think anyone will buy the team without knowing the arena deal is also in place.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'm not following. Are you saying the sale is going to happen first and then the arena? I don't think anyone will buy the team without knowing the arena deal is also in place.

I'm also aware the sale will happen first, then arena second. But if the arena doesn't happen in I think a year or two they're packing up

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm also aware the sale will happen first, then arena second. But if the arena doesn't happen in I think a year or two they're packing up
I guess what I'm trying to say is who is going to buy the team without having a new arena in their back pocket?

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I guess what I'm trying to say is who is going to buy the team without having a new arena in their back pocket?
Seattle just got a team for $650 million. You can bet there are gonna be people interested in buying in relatively cheap and being able to flip the team to a new owner if the team is forced to leave the valley because of the arena situation.

Not saying it's likely to happen, but there plenty of others who will always believe it's inevitable.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The only thing they need to bring back are the macho nacho stands with the nachos before they nerfed and ruined them. Those things were so good if you were rushing to get to the game and didn't have time to eat. Making my mouth water just thinking about them.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I want the new owners to pull a Nashville. Go full native. Arizona atmosphere and food and quirks to the rafters. A new arena in the heart of Scottsdale will be useless if they carry over the same generic, "royalty-free" game experience. Opposing teams shouldn't know they're in Phoenix because there are golf courses outside - they should know us like they know the Preds or Golden Knights barns.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If it’s on the Rez, they should embrace that culture as much as humanly possible.

Yes, but the person/people who come up with the theme/program need to be Native Americans or else we'll be accused of cultural appropriation. There is a way to do it tastefully, but will still probably ruffle the feathers of those that find offense under every rock.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Yes, but the person/people who come up with the theme/program need to be Native Americans or else we'll be accused of cultural appropriation. There is a way to do it tastefully, but will still probably ruffle the feathers of those that find offense under every rock.

Haven't we already culturally appropriated the Kachina logo/uniform?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

So no "Howler in the Maze" then?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Can we get an arena with a roof that can be opened?
like the Veltins Arena (not that big though).
That would be an awesome gimmick and when playing in the summer you can open the roof and let some cold, fresh air in.

And a nice mass transit system?
Even bielefeld (323.000 citizens) has a better public transportation system then Phoenix.
with such a system the location of the next arena is not that important anymore, because you can just use the metro to get there fast.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can we get an arena with a roof that can be opened?
like the Veltins Arena (not that big though).
That would be an awesome gimmick and when playing in the summer you can open the roof and let some cold, fresh air in.

In the summer, you could open the roof and watch the ice melt in less than a minute!

And a nice mass transit system?
Even bielefeld (323.000 citizens) has a better public transportation system then Phoenix.
with such a system the location of the next arena is not that important anymore, because you can just use the metro to get there fast.

You're preaching to the choir here, but it will never happen in Phoenix.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
You're preaching to the choir here, but it will never happen in Phoenix.

The now dead ASU location was within walking distance of a proposed light rail extension. A downtown location could also be close to an existing or planned line. How many would use it is another question.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
The now dead ASU location was within walking distance of a proposed light rail extension. A downtown location could also be close to an existing or planned line. How many would use it is another question.
I did not wanted to post this, because it had not that much to do with hockey, but i simply don't get it that some people are against subways or stuff like that.

I even made up my mind about creating a subway system for phoenix (yeah i have a lot of time at the moment, university starts again in february).
Öpnv-phoenix.png

Using 5 lines and 3 central stations, you could reduce a lot of traffic pressure.
And by using solar power, you could make it self sufficent. And with a storage grid for the night you can keep it running. Something like those storages tesla builds.

But it's just a draft for fun, i am not that good with paint ^^.

i came up with that when they had an article in a newspaper about public transportation in major cities in america.

I had to driven to the next city to catch my train [7:30 (managed by the worst company ever, the Deutsche Bahn)] and then get in a subway and drive for 7 minutes to my high school (Bielefeld). I liked it, better than being in traffic all the time. And the subway was very clean, and shiny. Bielefeld developed their own trains.

There are so many easy ways to build a subway-system.

The Subway in Bielefeld is used by around 32 million people each year. thats quiet a lot for a 323.000 citizens (about the same as Iceland).
So i can imagine that a lot more people would use one.

In the summer, you could open the roof and watch the ice melt in less than a minute!

Hmm the quatar football stadiums are open and they installed a coling device that keeps the cold air inside somehow.
And also that open roof would be more for late night games in the summer or concerts or other events.
just an idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The problem is that those light rail extensions and lines only serve a very limited portion of the metro population. What @Edenjung is talking about is a metro system on a larger scale, i.e. to get Mesa residents to Westgate or, conversely, Peoria residents to the proposed new arena site. The last western U.S. city to undertake such a renovation to their mass transit system was Salt Lake City in preparation for the 2002 Winter Olympics; the result was an enormous improvement in transit/commute times between outlying suburbs and the city proper. Unfortunately, there is no similar motivation to create a similar solution in metro Phoenix, and I doubt there ever will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad