Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The NHL doesn't want to leave a USA/Phoenix market for any Canadian market so their point is moot.

In a couple of years they may not have a choice.

Pagnotta suggested in his TFP blog we have 3-5 years to get an arena solution sorted out or the moving trucks will take over. I think he's being generous at that, but agree with his assessment in general.

Reactions: Kaizen

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In a couple of years they may not have a choice.

Pagnotta suggested in his TFP blog we have 3-5 years to get an arena solution sorted out or the moving trucks will take over. I think he's being generous at that, but agree with his assessment in general.
That is the same assessment I have been hearing for 15 years. I am sure it will always be true that we have 3-5 years from whatever day it is, or else:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That is the same assessment I have been hearing for 15 years. I am sure it will always be true that we have 3-5 years from whatever day it is, or else:)

Those last 15 years we had a team with an arena lease or a city willing to fork over tons of their own money to them to help keep things afloat.

We have none of that now. Thanks to one of the dumbest blunders ever committed by an ownership group.

That's not an assessment..... that's a cold hard fact.... and if you want to be foolish enough to believe there will always be some soul crazy enough to ride in on their white horse to save this franchise once again then that's fine by me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Those last 15 years we had a team with an arena lease or a city willing to fork over tons of their own money to them to help keep things afloat.

We have none of that now. Thanks to one of the dumbest blunders ever committed by an ownership group.

That's not an assessment..... that's a cold hard fact.... and if you want to be foolish enough to believe there will always be some soul crazy enough to ride in on their white horse to save this franchise once again then that's fine by me.
The Coyotes are not moving. Like Cobra said, we hear the same thing from the same posters over and over and over again. Then someone comes up with a new angle and it starts all over again.

Reactions: cobra427

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Coyotes are not moving. Like Cobra said, we hear the same thing from the same posters over and over and over again. Then someone comes up with a new angle and it starts all over again.

I’m not referring to. what other posters say.

If I did I’d be just as jaded as those who think there will always some rich dude willing to dump tens of millions each year into the current money pit.

Without a permanent arena solution this franchise will not last much longer here.

I hope they figure one out. But I’m not going be foolish about it either by buying into the notion that the league will do anything and everything to keep the team here. Glendale proved that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I’m not referring to. what other posters say.

If I did I’d be just as jaded as those who think there will always some rich dude willing to dump tens of millions each year into the current money pit.

Without a permanent arena solution this franchise will not last much longer here.

I hope they figure one out. But I’m not going be foolish about it either by buying into the notion that the league will do anything and everything to keep the team here. Glendale proved that.
They will just play in Glendale until they figure out another home. Its the same story, team is staying, NHL won't leave this market. Is there a chance they leave, sure, is the chance less than 10%, yes. The NHL is playing the LONG game:)

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
They will just play in Glendale until they figure out another home. Its the same story, team is staying, NHL won't leave this market. Is there a chance they leave, sure, is the chance less than 10%, yes. The NHL is playing the LONG game:)
I agree with this and have said the same thing for the last ten years. Why leave such a big market with so much potential as well as the fastest growing market?
Except Houston is bigger, growing as well and has more corporate money. The NHL is very willing to move this club to Houston. They've already moved us to the central division. We need to figure out this arena situation and fast.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree with this and have said the same thing for the last ten years. Why leave such a big market with so much potential as well as the fastest growing market?
Except Houston is bigger, growing as well and has more corporate money. The NHL is very willing to move this club to Houston. They've already moved us to the central division. We need to figure out this arena situation and fast.
The NHL isn't very willing to move us to Houston. We were the obvious choice to switch divisions, and I wouldn't read more into in then that.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
We were the obvious choice to switch divisions, and I wouldn't read more into in then that.
Oh I don't. It's what started all these nonsense rumors in the first place. It's just worth noting that it would make the transition an easy one. I just don't trust Bettman or the NHL. They said for years they were committed to Atlanta too. Committed until they weren't.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Oh I don't. It's what started all these nonsense rumors in the first place. It's just worth noting that it would make the transition an easy one. I just don't trust Bettman or the NHL. They said for years they were committed to Atlanta too. Committed until they weren't.

If you don't trust Bettman today.. 10 years after Moyes filed for BK. You need to re-examine things.

Uncle Gary want's the team here and reasonably would support a move if we can't get an arena in a viable location in the Valley.

He's done literally everything he could have done, and by he I mean The League

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
If you don't trust Bettman today.. 10 years after Moyes filed for BK. You need to re-examine things.

Uncle Gary want's the team here and reasonably would support a move if we can't get an arena in a viable location in the Valley.

I don't need to reexamine anything. What you said in your second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. The NHL is not going to stay here without a new Central or East valley arena.

Reactions: azcanuck

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

This is a very charitable reading of the situation. Bettman has done everything except have the league hold the bag without a favorable lease or straight up payment from a city. The moment they stop finding babysitters like Barroway, the moment the team is gone. Bettman is not a friend of Arizona more than he is an employee of the other 30 owners.

The public money train is over. The only avenue here is with the tribes.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
I don't need to reexamine anything. What you said in your second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. The NHL is not going to stay here without a new Central or East valley arena.
And why should the team stay? The NHL has dealt with us more than fair for 10 freaking years.

Reactions: azcanuck

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
As I’ve gotten older the drive has gotten more burdensome. This is year one of a two year re- up. I’m already done and dread the drive. I’ll probably miss a bunch of games next year.

I’ve decided not to renew anymore. . I’ll go to a bunch of weekend games going forward.

I’d rather drive 90 easy miles to Tucson than drive through Phoenix at rush hour.
Same situation with me....although I've had greater success selling my tickets this year than anytime during my 9 years as a STHer.

I hope the SM202 helps......because I totally agree on how burdensome the drive has become, not sure it's my age or more traffic.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Same situation with me....although I've had greater success selling my tickets this year than anytime during my 9 years as a STHer.

Yeah, it's weird...I'm going out of town this weekend so put my tickets on Stubhub for VGK. Went so fast I wish I'd asked more.

I hope the SM202 helps......because I totally agree on how burdensome the drive has become, not sure it's my age or more traffic.
If nothing else, it'll at least break the monotony for a year until *that* becomes no longer a novelty...kinda like the arena itself in 2004...looking back at that first season out there now is almost surreal, just a big vacant lot with some paved, some unpaved parking lots...not even the skeleton of the football stadium next door yet...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's too bad the 303 loop doesn't go all the way around the Valley. I used it for my vacation and it cut almost an hour off of my transit time to the WB I-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad