Speculation: New Arena/Management Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If and when the team moves to the EV, the team should offer healthy discounts to WV STH to try and keep them.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How do we know Glendale isn't an option? If this team was in the EV for the last decade having the same losing team, poor ownership, talk of relocation etc., I would imagine we would be in the same predicament as we are now. Fans are fans, money or no money. They want a team that wins on a consistent basic. If you think Scottsdale and Scottsdale only is the answer, I think you and others will be in for a rude awakening. In fact, I think the well - heeled would jump ship faster than the blue collared, as most are use to success and winning and wouldn't put up with this crap. You can have all the nightlife, restaurants you want, but if the team is not winning, the fans won't come. Winning solves everything!
The attendance and season ticket base will be better in Scottsdale than in Glendale regardless of the record. One location is much better than the other. If the team keeps losing, attendance will be worse in Glendale than it would in scottsdale. If the team wins, the attendance would be better in Scottsdale than it would be in Glendale. In any circumstance the east valley is just better.

Nobody from the east valley is going to Westgate on the weekend to have dinner or drinks, its not a destination. Many people from other parts of the valley go to Scottsdale for dinner and nightlife. Dinner/drinks/hockey for entertainment is just more attractive in Scottsdale than Glendale or anywhere else in the valley. Westgate is very nice as are many other valley locations, they are just not destinations like Scottsdale.

I actually think there would be more casual fans, wealthier fans, that would attend more games because of the location in Scottsdale. I think you would be surprised. The mistake was not having the arena at McDowell and Scottsdale rd, that would have been perfect.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
If and when the team moves to the EV, the team should offer healthy discounts to WV STH to try and keep them.

Idk if that would fly very well with a lot of people in the rest of the valley. Probably not a good idea to try and divide your fan base into factions more than they already are, imo. Seems like a move that could build some more resentment.

I do like the idea of mutual respect for all sides of the valley, though. Yotes aren't popular enough to try and faction off the city, it would be best if the whole state rallied behind them together! A Yotes against the "world" kind of vibe suits them well.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Idk if that would fly very well with a lot of people in the rest of the valley. Probably not a good idea to try and divide your fan base into factions more than they already are, imo. Seems like a move that could build some more resentment.

I do like the idea of mutual respect for all sides of the valley, though. Yotes aren't popular enough to try and faction off the city, it would be best if the whole state rallied behind them together! A Yotes against the "world" kind of vibe suits them well.

It wouldn't be displayed on billboards, but handled on a case by case basis. When a WVer doesn't renew, the ticket agent calls and tries to sweeten the pot.

This is what the cable company, phone company, airlines, etc. all do to retain business. On any given flight there are dozens of different fares for the exact same seat.

Many businesses use the customer lifetime value to customize products, services, and prices to retain the best customers and maximize revenue. It's the way smart business is done these days.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
As I’ve gotten older the drive has gotten more burdensome. This is year one of a two year re- up. I’m already done and dread the drive. I’ll probably miss a bunch of games next year.

I’ve decided not to renew anymore. . I’ll go to a bunch of weekend games going forward.

I’d rather drive 90 easy miles to Tucson than drive through Phoenix at rush hour.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It wouldn't be displayed on billboards, but handled on a case by case basis. When a WVer doesn't renew, the ticket agent calls and tries to sweeten the pot.

This is what the cable company, phone company, airlines, etc. all do to retain business. On any given flight there are dozens of different fares for the exact same seat.

Many businesses use the customer lifetime value to customize products, services, and prices to retain the best customers and maximize revenue. It's the way smart business is done these days.

While this is true, it's not discriminatory in the cases you mention (that I know of), it's based on getting more business in general/keeping customers. The Coyotes should be doing that with every fan they have regardless of where they live. If word ever got out that the Yotes were only giving breaks to WV, that will NOT go well for them. IF they are doing it like you stated in your last paragraph to keep best customers and maximize revenue regardless of other factors then it should be fine. The team does need to retain fans and make money.

Reactions: MIG

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
While this is true, it's not discriminatory in the cases you mention (that I know of), it's based on getting more business in general/keeping customers. The Coyotes should be doing that with every fan they have regardless of where they live. If word ever got out that the Yotes were only giving breaks to WV, that will NOT go well for them. IF they are doing it like you stated in your last paragraph to keep best customers and maximize revenue regardless of other factors then it should be fine. The team does need to retain fans and make money.

Agree. The deals are customized based on the fan, but management needs to set the parameters for the ticket agents. I would set different parameters for a Glendale fan (if the team moves east) than a Scottsdale fan.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nothing new...still moving forward as I said from the beginning.

I will drop the bomb now...this whole thing involves Doan being a centerpiece.
I can see him as a minority owner for sure. I guess that means AB will have no part in this deal, and Chayka better start sending out his resueme.

Last edited:
Reactions: doaner

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nothing new...still moving forward as I said from the beginning.

I will drop the bomb now...this whole thing involves Doan being a centerpiece.
This could be great if Doan is involved somehow, it will look good to the fans anyway. I am not sure how he can be a center piece? He doesn't have the money or the business experience to put a new ownership group together like Colangelo did when he originally purchased the suns. This could be like Elman recruiting TGO. I could see a deep pocketed owner wanting Doan to be the spokesman for the hockey team and have an ownership position.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
The attendance and season ticket base will be better in Scottsdale than in Glendale regardless of the record. One location is much better than the other. If the team keeps losing, attendance will be worse in Glendale than it would in scottsdale. If the team wins, the attendance would be better in Scottsdale than it would be in Glendale. In any circumstance the east valley is just better.

Nobody from the east valley is going to Westgate on the weekend to have dinner or drinks, its not a destination. Many people from other parts of the valley go to Scottsdale for dinner and nightlife. Dinner/drinks/hockey for entertainment is just more attractive in Scottsdale than Glendale or anywhere else in the valley. Westgate is very nice as are many other valley locations, they are just not destinations like Scottsdale.

I actually think there would be more casual fans, wealthier fans, that would attend more games because of the location in Scottsdale. I think you would be surprised. The mistake was not having the arena at McDowell and Scottsdale rd, that would have been perfect.
The fact of the matter is the product on the ice is the biggest determining factor in driving attendance, fan buy-in, and overall excitement for the team. People will drive further for a team that's exciting to watch and wins more often than not. Put a winning team on the ice and fans will come, no matter where. I saw it in Boston when I lived there (the Dave Lewis years about killed us - and attendance suffered as a result). I know that even living in WV, I'd drive to the EV for exciting games. But be less excited about the drive for a mediocre product.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This could be great if Doan is involved somehow, it will look good to the fans anyway. I am not sure how he can be a center piece? He doesn't have the money or the business experience to put a new ownership group together like Colangelo did when he originally purchased the suns. This could be like Elman recruiting TGO. I could see a deep pocketed owner wanting Doan to be the spokesman for the hockey team and have an ownership position.
That's how I kind of see it. What goes around comes around. Isn't that right AB.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The fact of the matter is the product on the ice is the biggest determining factor in driving attendance, fan buy-in, and overall excitement for the team. People will drive further for a team that's exciting to watch and wins more often than not. Put a winning team on the ice and fans will come, no matter where. I saw it in Boston when I lived there (the Dave Lewis years about killed us - and attendance suffered as a result). I know that even living in WV, I'd drive to the EV for exciting games. But be less excited about the drive for a mediocre product.
Could not agree more.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

You know, if you replaced "Quebec City" or "Winnipeg" with "Scottsdale," your posts on this subject would sound exactly like all of the people who have spent 10 years explaining why Arizona will never work as a hockey city.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Agree. The deals are customized based on the fan, but management needs to set the parameters for the ticket agents. I would set different parameters for a Glendale fan (if the team moves east) than a Scottsdale fan.

The basic sentiment is appreciated, but unfair to other season ticket holders and ticket buyers. It's like when I was a STH and I thought it'd be a great idea if we brought people from the upper deck down after the game started to fill in all the empty lower bowl seats back during the worst of the bankruptcy struggles. It's egalitarian and a kind gesture, but ultimately it would probably engender more bitterness than goodwill.

The long and short is that the franchise won't care if West Valley STH don't renew. If they had really cared about retaining us, they would have marketed to us, done outreach, and sold the game and the team to their local neighbors, and not retained their hyper focus on the East Valley. Particularly bad was IceArizona, who used Glendale as a slush fund rather than a home city.

The Arizona Coyotes franchise has treated us out here in the West like a side piece while being married to the East Valley. So if the new barn gets built, they'll likely not even bother with a box of chocolates as a going away present.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The basic sentiment is appreciated, but unfair to other season ticket holders and ticket buyers. It's like when I was a STH and I thought it'd be a great idea if we brought people from the upper deck down after the game started to fill in all the empty lower bowl seats back during the worst of the bankruptcy struggles. It's egalitarian and a kind gesture, but ultimately it would probably engender more bitterness than goodwill.

The long and short is that the franchise won't care if West Valley STH don't renew. If they had really cared about retaining us, they would have marketed to us, done outreach, and sold the game and the team to their local neighbors, and not retained their hyper focus on the East Valley. Particularly bad was IceArizona, who used Glendale as a slush fund rather than a home city.

The Arizona Coyotes franchise has treated us out here in the West like a side piece while being married to the East Valley. So if the new barn gets built, they'll likely not even bother with a box of chocolates as a going away present.
The Coyotes marketing is really non existent, so you aren't alone on this.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think you're selling Doan a bit short here. I'm not suggesting he has the experience to do all the things but I think he's capable of far more than merely being some sort of celebrity figurehead. Remember he had a big hand in bringing the owners and players together to end the last lockout.

Reactions: MIG

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You know, if you replaced "Quebec City" or "Winnipeg" with "Scottsdale," your posts on this subject would sound exactly like all of the people who have spent 10 years explaining why Arizona will never work as a hockey city.
The NHL doesn't want to leave a USA/Phoenix market for any Canadian market so their point is moot.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think you're selling Doan a bit short here. I'm not suggesting he has the experience to do all the things but I think he's capable of far more than merely being some sort of celebrity figurehead. Remember he had a big hand in bringing the owners and players together to end the last lockout.
I have tremendous respect for Shane Doan and I hope he is involved. He really was the face of the Coyotes and his involvement would be great for the valley. What I am saying is that a group or owner likely pulled him in versus Doan leading a group or leading in a control position a new ownership group like Colangelo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad