Confirmed with Link: Nemeth Arbitration Aug 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs didn't sign Cole, I'd be more willing to give term at a low AAV... but with Cole here the next few years, I imagine Nemeth will be pushed out soon. 2 years should be the maximum.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Two years in the 1.9-2.25 million rage is my prediction.

I feel I'm one of the few people that wants to keep Nemeth around. To me, he's a 26 year old Jan Hejda clone who gives the squad really, really good depth.

Things look messy on paper on the back end, but hypothetical log jams always work themselves out...sometimes for the worst (see: 2017-2018 Western Conference quarterfinals defense).

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
One year deal for me.

We have EJ-Barrie-Z-Girard, plus Cole and Barbie for next year already (6). I'd rather keep flexibility to see how Meloche, Timmins and Makar perform this year before adding a 7th NHL Dman contract. And that's not counting Lindholm and Alt as depth.

Will he still be RFA next year if we sign a one year deal?

If Yes, then there is zero reason to sign two years. If no, I still wouldn't but it's more debatable IMHO.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
^ It's actually not hard to unload a decent bottom pairing guy in a trade though. I really don't mind if it's one or two years...either way he or someone else will be easy to move if one of the kids earn the spot over him at any point.

If Nemeth was actually bad at hockey like Gelinas, Geunin, Redmond or Zanon I would care. But he is a perfect bottom pairing guy that can actually move up to the second pairing for injuries. Why move on from a player like that before you have to? Depth (especially at D) is always a good thing.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
It's on a saturday. Judge will go by the numbers. 3.0 million a year for the number of birdies he had on the golf course just before the hearing. = 9.0 million. Good business for Patrik.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Last week of arbitration hearings. Of the 44 players that filed, only 7 hearings remain. Nemeth is on the last day(Saturday).

Aug. 1: Cody Ceci, Ottawa Senators defenseman
Aug. 1: Gemel Smith, Dallas Stars forward
Aug. 2: Miikka Salomaki, Nashville Predators forward
Aug. 2: Kevin Hayes, New York Rangers forward
Aug. 3: Mark Stone, Ottawa Senators forward
Aug. 4: Ryan Spooner, New York Rangers forward
Aug. 4: Patrik Nemeth, Colorado Avalanche defenseman
Aug. 4: William Karlsson, Vegas Golden Knights forward

Should be an interesting week. Stone/Ceci could define the season for the Sens. Hayes and Karlsson are polarizing cases, nobody knows where the arbitrator will land.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think they settle on a two year deal before arbitration. Something like $1.6M year 1 and $1.8M year 2.

I also think there is a decent chance Rangers walk away from Spooner arbitration award.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Nemeth will be an amazing foil for both Barrie / Girard. I think Nemeth is one of the better defensive D-guys in the league.

Pay him.

Zadorov, Girard, Barberio, Nemeth, Barrie, Cole and EJ. Wowsers that looks both solid and balanced.

Arouses me !! Hahaha

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall

A formal announcement of a deal between Nemeth and the Avalanche is expected at some point Wednesday, BSN Denver has learned. Exact terms of the contract have yet to be finalized, but Nemeth and the Avs have a tentative agreement on a new deal, sources tell BSN Denver. If players with comparable numbers are factored into the equation, at his age, Nemeth can expect at least $2 million per season on the new deal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If it's 2m a year, it'll be for one year and he won't be qualified at the end of it.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
+ We now have 7 PROPER to 6 D-men.
+ We now have a NUMBER of back-up depth
+ We now have a few AWESOME rookies developing
+ These are all now back-stopped by two very solid goalies.

Our back-end is looking better than it has in a very long time.

Reactions: MarkT

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
+ We now have 7 PROPER to 6 D-men.
+ We now have a NUMBER of back-up depth
+ We now have a few AWESOME rookies developing
+ These are all now back-stopped by two very solid goalies.

Our back-end is looking better than it has in a very long time.
Agreed. Unfortunatly our offense is still a big ?

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Because you don't pay an RFA bottom pair defenseman over 2m a year when you have ELCs coming on. Barberio's making less than 2m as a UFA depth guy, and Nemeth really isn't any better. He's solid for the bottom pair but not really a guy you want to be overpaying to be there. He would have to take a big step forward to be worth the QO on a 2m+ deal.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Because you don't pay an RFA bottom pair defenseman over 2m a year when you have ELCs coming on. Barberio's making less than 2m as a UFA depth guy, and Nemeth really isn't any better. He's solid for the bottom pair but not really a guy you want to be overpaying to be there. He would have to take a big step forward to be worth the QO on a 2m+ deal.

If he can contribute next season the way he did last season, i'm sure he would have SOME value around the league, even at 2m+. You trade him instead of letting him go for nothing. But he'll be an UFA apparently.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I would prefer a one year deal with the number of younger defensemen that may make the jump soon and in light of Nemeth's apparent shoulder injuries and injury history in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad