Confirmed with Link: Nemeth Arbitration Aug 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Stay at home defensemen like Nemeth are not easy to value that's for sure and are being valued very differently.

Nemeth's agent now has some pretty impressive stats to use in the negotiations but there are also less impressive stats which could be used against him if playing hard ball. The truth probably lies somewhere between, one thing is for sure, his presence on pk helps a lot, for any team.

The very expensive Cole signing surprised me a lot and yes, this may change things for Nemeth, including his icetime and perhaps also his future on the team. I wish the owners would have spent this and more money on one elite world class offensive forward or offensive defenseman instead. :-( I really was hoping the Avs was aiming for the Cup, we don't need more depth, this way we are stuck in the middle of the pack again.

Wouldn't surprise me at all Nemeth outplaying Cole in the long run but perhaps not already next season.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
@21 would you be saying this if Cole was from Sweden? :laugh:

Let's not change subject. ;-) I like following my Swedish NHLers that's true.

Well, Cole is a better allround player right now than Nemeth but overpayed, earning about 4 times as much as Nemeth I think.

I definitely think Nemeth is a better stay at home shotdown defenseman though. Also Nemeth is younger and still developing, not until last season he was given a bigger role and more responsibility, he will continue to grow (if given the chance). If the Cole deal limiting his icetime to 10 minutes a game I don't want to see him in Colorado.

Like I wrote I really wished Avs would have saved this money using it on a big deal getting a star player instead.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Cole is more reliable than Nemeth. At his best moments, Nemeth is as good as Cole, but he was wildly inconsistent last year. Offensively though the difference isn't much. Maybe Cole makes fewer boneheaded pinches because he has his head on straight and knows what kind of defenseman he is. He's a stay-at-home type through and through.

I'm warming to the deal some. Cole will be a stabilizing presence back there that can really be counted on night after night not to backslide into uselessness. Most likely, he will be the #4 with Barrie. The term still bothers me though, you have to wonder what they'll do if Makar and Meloche start pushing him down the lineup, and it could happen as soon as 2019-20.

Reactions: burgundyblue and 21

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is it about a week before the hearings that the contract requests go public? When do the hearings get scheduled?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I like this arbitration thingy; gives us something to do during the summer. Who needs sun anyway?

My guess is both will sign 2y contracts about 1.5M AAV. If they want more kick 'em out.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Last year, 30 players filed. Only 1 got to his arbitration hearing; Schmidt of the Golden Knights. Everybody else reached agreements with their teams before the hearing dates. I expect more of the same this year.

Reactions: 21

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Nemeth played top 4 minutes for us last season and didn't look out of place doing it. Nieto played on our 2nd/3rd line with solid shutdown minutes and PK minutes. Both are valuable depth pieces we need to keep, I'm sure they're just trying to maximize their bargaining position since neither are due very lucrative contracts. Even 100k or 200k is a win for them.

Nemeth @ 2x2.25 and Nieto @ 2x2.4 sounds about right to me. Puts Nieto on a pre-UFA Matt Calvert contract and something a bit cheaper than Mark Pysyk for Nemeth.

Reactions: McMetal

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
While I doubt it gets there an Arb ruling should be favorable for the Avs in both cases.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
While I doubt it gets there an Arb ruling should be favorable for the Avs in both cases.

I feel the exact opposite. Deals will still get done, but the Avs don’t want to go to arbitration.

What is Long Beach native Matt Nieto to us? A bottom 6 grinder. The stats would suggest he is actually our 6th best forward. He was 6th in ice-time averaged and his 15 goals also ranked 6th on the team. He averaged the second most penalty killing time amongst our forwards as well, and our PK was outstanding all year long.

What is Patrik Nemeth to ya? A bottom pairing defenseman. The stats would suggest he is actually our 4th best D and only averaged 40 seconds less per game than Zadorov did. Also logged the second most PK time on our D, and our PK was outstanding all year long.

The deals will get done, but arbitration is all about facts. Numbers. Stats. We don’t want to play that angle with these two. They played in roles much higher than their skill sets suggest, and that means money.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I think Nieto has a real strong arbitration case. You can look as far as Athanasiou's contract... $3m per and similar numbers. Nieto's are not as good, but I think you could make the 2.5m argument pretty convincingly. I like Nieto, but I'm not sure I like him at $2.5m...

Nemeth I go back and forth on. As stated above, he has some real good talking points, but at the same point, he isn't much different than Petrovic. I don't see Nemeth getting more than a $2m award... but problem is that he is 1 year from UFA and any deal longer than 1 year really starts to creep up. I'd be surprised if a 3 year deal didn't have 2.75m per in salary at least. Not that Nemeth isn't worth that (I think he is a 2.5m sort of guy), but with Cole around for 3 years... spending 7m between them for the term is something I'm not a fan of.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Seems like 1.975m, but 2 years doesn't buy any UFA... I'm good with it since it avoided arbitration.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's a fine deal for an RFA third liner. Hopefully he can keep that pace of scoring over the next couple years, he's a great utility piece.

Reactions: MarkT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice deal for Nieto. I didn't think he'd get quite that much but it's not like it really affects the Avs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Very fair contract and takes him straight to UFA where he will hopefully cash in elsewhere.

Glad to have the Long Beach native back for a couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad