Confirmed with Link: Nemeth Arbitration Aug 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know people hated Holden... but that contract was low for what he brought and he's proven desirable for playoff teams. Not a top 4 guy, but cheap depth that can play up the lineup in spurts. Holden's biggest problem isn't Holden, it is that coaches fall in love with him and overplay him regularly.

That’s the truth. I’ll never know why he gets overplayed so much, but when he played bottom pairing minutes he’s was a more than capable defenseman.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know people hated Holden... but that contract was low for what he brought and he's proven desirable for playoff teams. Not a top 4 guy, but cheap depth that can play up the lineup in spurts. Holden's biggest problem isn't Holden, it is that coaches fall in love with him and overplay him regularly.

I know, my argument against that deal has never been an indictment of Holden or his play, even though I was never a fan of the guy to be honest.

I just didn't like the timing. No reason whatsoever to sign a guy who had seven games of NHL experience previously to a multi-year, multi-million dollar, one-way deal one full year before his current contract was set to expire. They could've waited, seen whether or not his impressive output in 2014 was a fluke or if there really was something there. Even if they waited until impending free agency, I really don't think they would've had to pay THAT much more. It was just bad management. One of many completely unnecessary contracts handed out in that disastrous 2014 offseason. No surprise to me at all that none of those deals were completed in Colorado except for Johnny Malkin's, and even then the guy was waived in 2016-17, so they tried to get rid of it before then.

Holden's deal itself is fine, not backbreaking in term or $$$, but it was an example of a management team that, at the time, had no idea how to deal with a better-than-expected season. It just reeks of Sherman, very similar to other deals (Shane O'Brien anyone?) he signed players to in the past.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They were also 22nd in 5on5 goals. A hot PP can mask some offensive issues.
Yeah, and not to mention that Gabe, Nate, and Mikko scored 61 ES goals last season, good for a staggering percentage of exactly 50% this team has scored last season. The best ES scorer not counting those three was Matt Nieto, let that sink in to those who think we are good in terms of secondary scoring.

PS

What even more funny is that our 8th and 9th best ES goal scorer were two defensemen who missed 14 and 20 games respectively.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ah yeah, that would be it.

Dater knows very little about players from other teams, probably about the same level of knowledge than your average bandwagoner HFer (crazy considering the number of live games that he watches and he's even traveling with the team).

He's got publicly embarassed by his Norris votes this year when he "forgot" to put Hedman in his top 5. After listening to most of his podcasts I'm very confident to say that it's not that he forgot, it's just that he doesn't know him and heard good things about Slavin and Vlasic. Also no Kopitar for the Selke...those aren't opinions, his knowledge is limited.

Skjei is a name that he probably barely ever heard (he misspelled it, too), hence his comment. "If this noname can get 5M, think Nemeth can't get 2?"

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dater knows very little about players from other teams, probably about the same level of knowledge than your average bandwagoner HFer (crazy considering the number of live games that he watches and he's even traveling with the team).

He's got publicly embarassed by his Norris votes this year when he "forgot" to put Hedman in his top 5. After listening to most of his podcasts I'm very confident to say that it's not that he forgot, it's just that he doesn't know him and heard good things about Slavin and Vlasic. Also no Kopitar for the Selke...those aren't opinions, his knowledge is limited.

Skjei is a name that he probably barely ever heard (he misspelled it, too), hence his comment. "If this noname can get 5M, think Nemeth can't get 2?"
I bet it would be an adventure to hear him try to pronounce Skjei. :naughty:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
So why haven't we heard anything about Nemeth yesterday? Did Adrian "Clickbait" Dater lied in our faces or is he simply an idiot?

Nevermind guys, it's probably both.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I like it. AAV doesn't really matter to me or impact the team from a cap perspective, I was always more focused on term. With only one year, he won't block any younger defensemen coming up.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I like it. AAV doesn't really matter to me or impact the team from a cap perspective, I was always more focused on term. With only one year, he won't block any younger defensemen coming up.
True, this is probably the last year we actually need him. It's safe to say that we can expect that at least one of the Timmins/Makar/Meloche makes the team by 2019 which makes Nemeth expendable.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
One year is good. EJ, Zadorov, Barrie, Cole, Girard, and Timmins/Makar will probably be the main 6 the following year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One season is great for us, kinda weird for him. Woulda thought he would want to cash in a bit more on his big year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That is an ugly precedent to set... 2.5m isn’t going to hurt the Avs in any way shape or form this year, but they raised the bar on Nemeth level defenders with arbitration rights. Yikes...

Reactions: McMetal and S E P H

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That is an ugly precedent to set... 2.5m isn’t going to hurt the Avs in any way shape or form this year, but they raised the bar on Nemeth level defenders with arbitration rights. Yikes...
What do you think he would get in arb? I certainly don't think he is a 2.5mil defender, but looking at raw numbers (PK TOI, PK rank, +/- ...) one could see an arbiter giving him a contract north of 2mil.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

When’s the next time that’ll be a problem for us? Our prospect pool isn’t exactly overflowing with Nemeth-caliber defensemen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Should work out well for both sides. Avs don't want to commit to him long term but have a short term need for him and Nemeth gets to earn a UFA deal somewhere else.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What do you think he would get in arb? I certainly don't think he is a 2.5mil defender, but looking at raw numbers (PK TOI, PK rank, +/- ...) one could see an arbiter giving him a contract north of 2mil.
Right around 2 seems right to me. It isn’t a huge number in an of itself as an increase... but 10-20% bump is a high number IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When’s the next time that’ll be a problem for us? Our prospect pool isn’t exactly overflowing with Nemeth-caliber defensemen.

As of now not much, but that just isn’t a statement about the Avs. The NHLPA just got a nice comparable contract.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Really hard for me to see a downside with that contract. Not today and not tomorrow either.

Nemeth is a fine 5/6 on the depth charts who doesn't look out of place when he needs to play higher. On a long term deal he would have probably gotten slightly over 2 mil, but because it's only a one year deal the AAV is bit higher.

It's a reasonable contract for both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad