NCAA: NCAA off season thread

Elvis P

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
You could make the same arguments for reducing the size of the NCAA basketball tournament. ...
Apples and oranges. You changed the topic completely. Making March Madness a Power 5 conference tourney would be great for college BB. The NIT would become great.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I was curious what 1-12 would have looked like through the years and figured why not post it (assuming the top 4 seeds get byes)

2014:
1. Alabama (12-1)
2. Oregon (12-1)
3. Florida St (13-0)
4. Ohio St (12-1)

5. Baylor (11-1) vs 12. Georgia Tech (10-3)
6. TCU (11-1) vs 11. Kansas St (9-3)
7. Miss. St (10-2) vs 10. Arizona (10-3)
8. Michigan St (10-2) vs 9. Ole Miss (9-3)

2015:
1. Clemson (13-0)
2. Alabama (12-1)
3. Michigan St (12-1)
4. Oklahoma (12-1)

5. Iowa (12-1) vs 12. Ole Miss (9-3)
6. Stanford (11-2) vs 11. TCU (10-2)
7. Ohio St (11-1) vs 10. UNC (11-2)
8. Notre Dame (10-2) vs 9. Florida St (10-2)

2016:
1. Alabama (13-0)
2. Clemson (12-1)
3. Ohio St (11-1)
4. Washington (12-1)

5. Penn St (11-2) vs 12. Oklahoma St (9-3)
6. Michigan (10-2) vs 11. Florida St (9-3)
7. Oklahoma (10-2) vs 10. Colorado (10-3)
8. Wisconsin (10-3) vs 9. USC (9-3)

2017:
1. Clemson (13-0)
2. Oklahoma (12-1)
3. Georgia (12-1)
4. Alabama (11-1)

5. Ohio St (11-2) vs 12. UCF (12-0)
6. Wisconsin (12-1) vs 11. Washington (10-2)
7. Auburn (10-3) vs 10. Miami U (10-2)
8. USC (11-2) vs 9. Penn St (10-2)

2018:
1. Alabama (13-0)
2. Clemson (13-0)
3. Notre Dame (12-0)
4. Oklahoma (12-1)

5. Georgia (11-2) vs 12. Penn St (9-3)
6. Ohio St (12-1) vs 11. LSU (9-3)
7. Michigan (10-2) vs 10. Florida (9-3)
8. UCF (12-0) vs 9. Washington (10-3)

2019:
1. LSU (13-0)
2. Ohio St (13-0)
3. Clemson (13-0)
4. Oklahoma (12-1)

5. Georgia (11-2) vs 12. Auburn (9-3)
6. Oregon (11-2) vs 11. Utah (11-2)
7. Baylor (11-2) vs 10. Penn St (10-2)
8. Wisconsin (10-3) vs 9. Florida (10-2)

2020:
1. Alabama (11-0)
2. Clemson (10-1)
3. Ohio St (6-0)
4. Notre Dame (10-1)

5. Texas A&M (8-1) vs 12. Coastal Carolina (11-0)
6. Oklahoma (8-2) vs 11. Indiana (6-1)
7. Florida (8-3) vs 10. Iowa St (8-3)
8. Cincinnati (9-0) vs 9. Georgia (7-2)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
bo-schembechler-son-says-father-knew-michigan-doctor-abuse

A son of former Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler said he told his father that former team doctor Robert Anderson molested him during a physical exam in the 1960s and that the revered coach ignored the complaint and went out of his way to make sure Anderson kept his role with the team.

According to Matt, when he shared those details with Bo, the coach told him he didn't want to hear about it and then got physically violent with both Matt and his mother.

"That was the first time he closed-fist punched me," Matt told ESPN. "It knocked me all the way across the kitchen."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Doesn't matter, the likes of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Flavor of the month in the SEC will still be kicking everyone else to the curb.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Doesn't matter, the likes of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Flavor of the month in the SEC will still be kicking everyone else to the curb.
But now G5 and second fiddles in the P5 have something to potentially look forward to instead of the Gator Bowl and other useless bowls alike. I honestly find it difficult to fathom how anyone who calls themselves a big CFB football fan finding something wrong with expanding the playoffs. I just don't understand. The status quo is just as bad at best but realistically much worse.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Apples and oranges. You changed the topic completely. Making March Madness a Power 5 conference tourney would be great for college BB. The NIT would become great.
lol, no one gives a shit about the NIT. It's literally irrelevant, bubble NCAA tournament teams would literally do nothing to make it more than the irrevlant tournament it is. The NIT is the analogue to the NCAA football non-playoff bowl format... irrelevant. And reducing the NCAA Tournament field would make it even more like the NCAA football "playoff" which has little to no growth in viewership which is EXACTLY why they're looking to expand the field now.

Sep 19, 2008

But now G5 and second fiddles in the P5 have something to potentially look forward to instead of the Gator Bowl and other useless bowls alike. I honestly find it difficult to fathom how anyone who calls themselves a big CFB football fan finding something wrong with expanding the playoffs. I just don't understand. The status quo is just as bad at best but realistically much worse.
I'm fine with this system but the complaint was that it would make the regular season more meaningless

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That proposal as it stands means Notre Dame (and BYU) being an independent, they can never get a bye

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
That proposal as it stands means Notre Dame (and BYU) being an independent, they can never get a bye
Which might push ND to join the ACC for football, though I can't imagine the ACC would approve that unless ND's NBC deal was terminated.

There was a recent story about possible Pac-12 expansion. BYU, Boise and San Diego State were among the schools mentioned.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Which might push ND to join the ACC for football, though I can't imagine the ACC would approve that unless ND's NBC deal was terminated.

There was a recent story about possible Pac-12 expansion. BYU, Boise and San Diego State were among the schools mentioned.
I don't think the deal with NBC will bother them. Look how big the first Clemson/ND game was last season. Their teams get on there 5 times a year, they don't pay into it? Sounds like a good deal to me.

BYU is different and if I were them I'd definitely be trying to get in there. Surprised UNLV isn't in the mix since they play the championship game in their city. Pac 12 needs a TV deal

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I don't think the deal with NBC will bother them. Look how big the first Clemson/ND game was last season. Their teams get on there 5 times a year, they don't pay into it? Sounds like a good deal to me.

BYU is different and if I were them I'd definitely be trying to get in there. Surprised UNLV isn't in the mix since they play the championship game in their city. Pac 12 needs a TV deal
Notre Dame gets all the NBC money. Last year the ACC and ND agreed to share all TV revenues due to ND being a full ACC football member for one year due to Covid, so that could be a long-term solution.

UNLV was also mentioned in the story.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

The proposal was actually developed by the ND athletic director among others, I saw an article somewhere that I can't find now, that he was fine with not getting the bye because if they joined a conference they would end up having to play a conference title game so they would rather play the 1st rd CFP game than having to play the extra conference games/conf title game

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The proposal was actually developed by the ND athletic director among others, I saw an article somewhere that I can't find now, that he was fine with not getting the bye because if they joined a conference they would end up having to play a conference title game so they would rather play the 1st rd CFP game than having to play the extra conference games/conf title game
They get the extra home game too if they play those games at home as opposed to going neutral site and getting their shit kicked in by Clemson.

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND

I hate to break it to you but the Top 25 is largely the same as it was 20, 30, and 40+ years ago. The status quo, as you call it, is simply the natural default of the sport. Expanding the playoffs guarantees that Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State are going to exercise complete hegemony over the sport with such a huge margin of error now in place.

Now they can each lose 2 games and will easily be able to coast into the playoffs on a yearly basis. When they're good, they'll get byes to get healthy, a home game in an inhospitable environment for challengers, and an extra week of preparation. When they don't get byes, they will get over seeded, as is NCAA postseason SOP in every level of every championship it offers, and given a cakewalk to at least the semifinals. There's almost no parity in the lower levels of college football, with schools like NDSU and Mount Union/Whitewater dominating their levels. FBS isn't going to be immune to that.

Everyone hates how the same 5-6 teams are taking 76% of the bids but doing actually nothing to effectively close the gap by, you know, actually running a top notch program.

The expansion crowd is merely the public facade for a group of people who are sick of getting whipped at every turn and moving the goalposts to make it easier under the guise of more "fairness" and "inclusivity," which are two terms that have absolutely no place in sports, with the obvious exception of cheating. I am opposed to expansion primarily for this reason. I don't believe you reward whiners and crybabies with participation trophies. (And its deleterious effects on the regular season.)

People are delusional if they think UCF vs Auburn or Boise State vs Oklahoma are going to be regular occurrences in this format. The average MOV was already around 3 TDs with a very selective, exclusive format in place, and adding more mediocre teams will not fix that. I'm sure that's going to elicit complaints about "not fair" to G5 schools, but every in the game knows the deck is stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad