NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Morrison please

O'Connor I'm rather indifferent towards. Nothing against him, but is he really a step in on Brossoit?

I'd rather see the organization devote its efforts towards 1 player Vs. half a**ing it with two. Also depth in goal isn't an issue for this team, the problem is lack of high end established talent. O'Connor doesn't fix that.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Rumor has it Morrison goes back to college to finish his degree and win a national championship. they got a good team there.

dont shoot the messenger, I hope MacT can convince him. hes what we need.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Morrison please

O'Connor I'm rather indifferent towards. Nothing against him, but is he really a step in on Brossoit?

I'd rather see the organization devote its efforts towards 1 player Vs. half a**ing it with two. Also depth in goal isn't an issue for this team, the problem is lack of high end established talent. O'Connor doesn't fix that.

Signing O'Connor would be a 2 years gapstop until Brossoit can become a NHL back up. Another 3 years until Brossoit can becomes a starter. If it doesn't cost the Oilers assets, I see no harm in signing him. If O'Connor doesn't exactly pan out as a starter, he still holds value for a trade.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Morrison please

That's kind of silly dont you think? What happens if Brossoit never turns into a #1 goaltender, maybe he just doesnt have the talent or maybe he gets an injury that hampers his abilities, what are we left with then? No goalie for the future. It's worth getting him and taking a shot, finding a true number one is pretty much a crap shoot signing him is another free shot at it. It doesnt prevent Brossoit from ever getting a chance.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Morrison please

He's 6'5, with a .928 SV%. It's worth a shot.

And it's not hard to sign more than one player... especially when one's an Oiler fan, and the other's idol is our captain.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm not getting my hopes up on these NCAA players... 29 other teams also obviously vying for their services so the Oilers chances are slim to none in getting the premier players.

This is like an early version of the disappointing UFA season in July.

Meh, when it comes to college FAs the Oilers are always right there in the top 5. Not because they are a good team, but because college FAs want to be in the NHL now

I remember they were in the top 3-4 for Dekeyser and also really close on one of Folin/Sustr and as well the UFA Pitt landed. These were reported by credible sources too.

They have been pursuing Morrison for 2 years, and O'Connor basically has a starting gig lined up for him in the NHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
But College FAs need to be the new frontier for MacT, these guys are essentially near NHL ready (perhaps a year in the AHL) and don't cost any picks. Plus at 22 years old you know what your getting, versus picking a 18 year old kid from the BCHL. These top college FAs normally turn into solid depth players, and occasionally top line players. But almost always turn into very good AHL players (Arcobello, Miller, Fedun), which is better than what most players drafted 3rd round and later turn into

If you could land these 2 guys, maybe you could trade a 2nd and 3rd for a roster player in the offseason or next TDL with we are in the hunt (and get a Petry like player in return)

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Do teams ever look at UFA D3 players or is it only D1?

NCAA D3 freshman tied for the lead in scoring. 28GP 23-25-48p, 8GWG, 9PP

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Morrison please

The Oilers should absolutely be adding more goalie prospects, high end ones with either the pit pick or their 2nd. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a horrible idea as we just witnessed with Dubnyk (he still may prove them wrong however and make Eakins and MacT look like even bigger fools if that's possible).

They should also increase their goalie coach budget, pay top dollar and bring in someone with a proven track record. As bad as their drafting record has been their goalie drafting record is a whole new level of awful, behind Dubnyk you have to go allllll the way back to the Fuhr or Moog days to find a Oiler developed goalie. Maybe Ranford if you're feeling generous. Bottom line Brossiot should have to compete with others, not be given a shot to be the next Oiler goalie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Rumor has it Morrison goes back to college to finish his degree and win a national championship. they got a good team there.

dont shoot the messenger, I hope MacT can convince him. hes what we need.

I've heard this as well.

That would really suck for us. I don't get that mentality if you have a pro contract staring you in the face. With the signing bonus he could easily pay for a year of school if his career doesn't pan out. That said if he heads back I still hope that we land him after next season. If our team was run by real NHL management by the time he'd be done college he wouldn't have a spot on our big team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That would really suck for us. I don't get that mentality if you have a pro contract staring you in the face. With the signing bonus he could easily pay for a year of school if his career doesn't pan out. That said if he heads back I still hope that we land him after next season. If our team was run by real NHL management by the time he'd be done college he wouldn't have a spot on our big team.

Ya, there's lots of NHLers that finish their degrees in the summer. It really shouldn't be a deal breaker

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Haha looks like I've got a popular opinion.

Idk though... I think with goaltenders especially, it's a position you're groomed for.

Brossoit has tracked very well, and hasn't shown a misstep (yet). So I don't know why you would bring in a guy that's going to take away needed focus and opportunity away from him. If it were an obvious upgrade, sure of course, but I don't see O'Connor as one.

Depth is good, but having all your prospects at the same development point is a bad idea imo. Especially in goal, where spots and minutes are limited.

Basically if this team didn't already have a young goalie trending well at the AHL level —for example two years ago when Bunz and Roy were flat-lining— I'd be in favour of signing him, but not now. Right now both O'Connor and Brossoit need the same thing: tons of minutes at the AHL level. If both are here, than neither of them are going to get what they need to progress.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't think Western Michigan has a realistic shot at a national championship next year. They were under .500 this season and are in the best conference in the country.

A national championship doesn't really make sense for a reason for Morrison to stay in school.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Anyone live in Lloydminster? someone should go to Kenney's parents and offer any help. make SURE they are oiler fans

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
I am confused about the Kenny Morrison attraction other than he is available to be signed (without giving up assets) & is a RH shot; please enlighten.

His stats are as follows: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=132107

Kenny's production was not that strong three years ago when he entered University; his PPG have dropped yearly. At 23 years old, he will need to play a couple of years in the AHL to find out if he could compete against NHL players.

What am I missing?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Haha looks like I've got a popular opinion.

Idk though... I think with goaltenders especially, it's a position you're groomed for.

Brossoit has tracked very well, and hasn't shown a misstep (yet). So I don't know why you would bring in a guy that's going to take away needed focus and opportunity away from him. If it were an obvious upgrade, sure of course, but I don't see O'Connor as one.

Depth is good, but having all your prospects at the same development point is a bad idea imo. Especially in goal, where spots and minutes are limited.

Basically if this team didn't already have a young goalie trending well at the AHL level —for example two years ago when Bunz and Roy were flat-lining— I'd be in favour of signing him, but not now. Right now both O'Connor and Brossoit need the same thing: tons of minutes at the AHL level. If both are here, than neither of them are going to get what they need to progress.

Competition...

O'Connor and Brossoit should push each other. There hasn't been NEARLY enough of that in the Oilers organization.

Competition breeds success. Nothing should be given. That's the Detroit model. You have to earn your spot in the show.

Love him or hate him, Pete Carroll constantly preaches competition at every position and now Seattle's a powerhouse in the NFL.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I am confused about the Kenny Morrison attraction other than he is available to be signed (without giving up assets) & is a RH shot; please enlighten.

His stats are as follows: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=132107

Kenny's production was not that strong three years ago when he entered University; his PPG have dropped yearly. At 23 years old, he will need to play a couple of years in the AHL to find out if he could compete against NHL players.

What am I missing?

He can skate well, has some size and his shot from the point is supposedly a big deal.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
He can skate well, has some size and his shot from the point is supposedly a big deal.

Thank you for responding. I have never seen Kenny Morrison play so am just asking based upon stats. His goal scoring started out at 7 goals 3 years ago, then 4 goals followed by 5 goals. If it was increasing annually, I would not be asking.

All I see is a flat line of one goal every eight games throughout his University career.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Developing goalies seems to be such a crapshoot as well, it makes sense to get as many good prospects as possible. You know, like good NHL teams do.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Thank you for responding. I have never seen Kenny Morrison play so am just asking based upon stats. His goal scoring started out at 7 goals 3 years ago, then 4 goals followed by 5 goals. If it was increasing annually, I would not be asking.

All I see is a flat line of one goal every eight games throughout his University career.

I remember Klefbom said about himself last season when transitioning from AHL to NHL, playing with good players make you better. I would take a chance with Morrison being RHD and possesses a heavy shot. Oilers need more of that.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Competition...

O'Connor and Brossoit should push each other. There hasn't been NEARLY enough of that in the Oilers organization.

Competition breeds success. Nothing should be given. That's the Detroit model. You have to earn your spot in the show.

Love him or hate him, Pete Carroll constantly preaches competition at every position and now Seattle's a powerhouse in the NFL.

Yes, but that's where having a strong vet like Bachman comes into play. He's competing for time vs. one of the best in the league, not another guy trying to learn the learn on the fly.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

What am I missing?

His shot can do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad