NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
so, any other interesting college FAs?
Here's some names to watch out for:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-free-agents-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/

list is a bit old, Casey Bailey signed with Toronto, Kenney Morrison signed with Calgary, Kyle Baun signed with Chicago, and obviously Matt O'Connor just signed with Ottawa.

I didn't see anything about C.J. Motte but it looks like he is playing for the Isles AHL team.

Austin Czarnik sounds like he'd fit in with our prior talented midget signings of Miller and Arcobello, I'm guessing his assist heavy totals will scare off teams.

Daniel Doremus is a gritty 6 ft center and played with Laleggia , his point totals weren't too shabby 34 points in 39 games, but he's the same age as Laleggia and got outscored by him.

Ahti Oksanen he's on Boston University with both O'Connor and Eichel, I've watched him a couple times and he's caught my eye at moments, but he generally faded into the background cause I was too busy focusing on the other two.

Then theres Oleg Yevenko who's interesting because of his size he's 6 ft 7 230lbs and apparently is a good skating d-man, I've never seen him but the article makes him sound like an interesting project pick. Worst +/- on your team is probably a bad sign though.

I'd say the most interesting ones are off the market, but it doesn't mean there isn't some value left, but it'd probably take someone who follows the NCAA heavily to tell us exactly who that is. While Justin Schultz was our big "steal"; Marc Arcobello, Andrew Miller, and Jordan Oesterle aren't horrible & going further back both Marc-Andre Bergeron and Ty Conklin were atleast useful free agent signings for a period of time and I don't recall any buzz around them.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Here's some names to watch out for:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-free-agents-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/

list is a bit old, Casey Bailey signed with Toronto, Kenney Morrison signed with Calgary, Kyle Baun signed with Chicago, and obviously Matt O'Connor just signed with Ottawa.

I didn't see anything about C.J. Motte but it looks like he is playing for the Isles AHL team.

Austin Czarnik sounds like he'd fit in with our prior talented midget signings of Miller and Arcobello, I'm guessing his assist heavy totals will scare off teams.

Daniel Doremus is a gritty 6 ft center and played with Laleggia , his point totals weren't too shabby 34 points in 39 games, but he's the same age as Laleggia and got outscored by him.

Ahti Oksanen he's on Boston University with both O'Connor and Eichel, I've watched him a couple times and he's caught my eye at moments, but he generally faded into the background cause I was too busy focusing on the other two.

Then theres Oleg Yevenko who's interesting because of his size he's 6 ft 7 230lbs and apparently is a good skating d-man, I've never seen him but the article makes him sound like an interesting project pick. Worst +/- on your team is probably a bad sign though.

I'd say the most interesting ones are off the market, but it doesn't mean there isn't some value left, but it'd probably take someone who follows the NCAA heavily to tell us exactly who that is. While Justin Schultz was our big "steal"; Marc Arcobello, Andrew Miller, and Jordan Oesterle aren't horrible & going further back both Marc-Andre Bergeron and Ty Conklin were atleast useful free agent signings for a period of time and I don't recall any buzz around them.

I realize NCAA prospects are typically from D1 schools, but a name to watch out for down the road is Kyle Brothers, Adrian College D3. This past year he was voted First-team West All-American (as a freshman), National freshman of the year, USCHO.com Division III rookie of the year, NCAA Division III scoring champion, NCHA Freshman of the Year, NCHA All Conference team, NCHA all freshman team and NCHA all tournament team MVP.
6' 1, 205 lbs with silky hands (similar to Eberle). His skating improved quite a bit this past season, as well as his defensive play.

Adam Krug (Torey Krug's brother) is his coach.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Bergeron was signed out of the Q, but I'd say the lack of hype behind him was just due to the times. If we managed to sign an overage defenseman who managed to pot 100+ points in his last year of junior, he'd be the next Paul Coffey on HF.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ahti Oksanen is very interesting for a college FA.

Then it was reported a like a month or 2 ago that Zane McIntyre may not sign with the bruins and become a FA he is also a goalie and I think he was considered the best one in college this year I believe he is 22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad