Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Ryan McDonagh and 2024 4th round pick for 2025 2nd and 2024 7th round picks

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I didn’t read it clearly and assumed this was a necro of the original trade to talk about what a good year McDonagh had. Interesting move. Tampa might be shaking some things up to get back to contender status I guess.

Reactions: paragon

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No one knows for sure but speculation that he didn't fit the new culture when trotz/brunette came in.
I get it, but I'm surprised they couldn't trade him at 50% for a pick like the Flyers did with Hayes.

Duchene is much better than Hayes.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Tampa has missed McD ever since the trade but I don't understand what they are doing in terms of cap space - that was the whole reason he was traded initially for literally nothing in return.

And Hedman wants an extension this summer, along with the "we want Stammer back."

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Trotz and Brisebois clearly have no respect for the remaining teams in the hunt for the cup- making trades like this during playoffs is in the unwritten rules and is extremely fround upon
Yeah it’s like A Rod announcing he wouldn’t Extend with the Yankees during the Red Sox World Series

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Wasn’t McDonagh supposedly unhappy with how the trade went down? Or am I mistaken?
He didn't want to leave and the speculation was his arm was twisted a little to waive his NMC, but he always said he wanted to return to Tampa to live (but that was spoken of in his post playing days).

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's a good pickup by TB, but that leaves them with a little over $5m to resign Stamkos & one more depth forward, which can come in at minimum wage. Still that leaves just over $4m for Stamkos.

Someone else going out of TB?

Reactions: FloJack

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Shouldn't have dumped him in the first place.
Who could they have dumped instead? They were in cap hell and their younger stars were getting monster extensions (Point that year, Sergachev the following). Couldn't trade anyone with a full NMC (Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy). The way they ended up framing it to him was "look you're the only one who we can afford to trade right now so if you don't pick your spot we'll put you on waivers and you'll end up with one of the worst teams in the league". So he picked Nashville.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Good lord, the Lightning now have no 2024 1st, 2024 2nd, 2024 3rd, 2025 1st and 2025 2nd :laugh:

They’re cornering the market on 2025 7th Rd picks tho.

IMG_7146.jpeg

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Wasn’t McDonagh supposedly unhappy with how the trade went down? Or am I mistaken?
Yea I think Tampa told him either pick a place you don't hate and we'll make a trade happen, or you're going on waivers

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Who could they have dumped instead? They were in cap hell and their younger stars were getting monster extensions (Point that year, Sergachev the following). Couldn't trade anyone with a full NMC (Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy). The way they ended up framing it to him was "look you're the only one who we can afford to trade right now so if you don't pick your spot we'll put you on waivers and you'll end up with one of the worst teams in the league". So he picked Nashville.
Sergachev.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When was the last time there was a significant trade in the middle of the playoffs? I thought it was some unwritten code that trades like these don't happen in the playoffs.

Usually there isn't any rush to make a trade in May versus June. But occasionally there can be a handful of deals.

Carolina traded Adam Fox's rights to the Rangers late April 2019. Winnipeg traded Kevin Hayes' rights early June 2019. Ditto the rights to Scott Darling and Ben Bishop during the 2017 playoffs. Looks like the Erik Gudbranson for Jared McCann+ deal was in May 2016. Going back a ways, the Kings got Roman Cechmanek during the 2003 playoffs.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
BriseBois could have waited on those extensions to Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak and then make them prove they were in line with those raises (he could have negotiated with them the following summer, like the hardline stance he took with Stamkos). None of them took a home town discount at the time. The flat cap put them in hell with giving out raises for the success the team had, but BriseBois could have held the line with taking less to keep window open, etc. And now essentially, he is admitting a mistake and giving up a 2nd round pick to fix it? I don't understand this move (although welcome McD back with open arms), it just doesn't make sense.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Anyone know when Cernak's NTC kicks in? As I understand, the earliest he would be eligible for one is May 28th, 2024 (his 27th birthday) but it is just as or maybe even more likely to start mid- to late-June than it is on his birthday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad