NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
maybe he met with craig and decided that he was such an idiot hed rather sign with his rival

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yep I see a Colorado Like regression next year for the flames.

But talk to a flames fan and Johnny Hockey is invincible from any sophomore troubles

I was at the Flames game the other day (Free tickets, don't shoot me), and watched Johnny Hockey closely. There were a few nice plays he made but the Blues keyed in on him and completely neutralized him (and most of the Flames for that matter)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That's surprising. It's obviously a bit different when you're actually in the situation, but how many Oiler fans would actually consider signing in Calgary when Edmonton is offering you a deal as well?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I was at the Flames game the other day (Free tickets, don't shoot me), and watched Johnny Hockey closely. There were a few nice plays he made but the Blues keyed in on him and completely neutralized him (and most of the Flames for that matter)

i see more flames games then i would like to admit but im positive that you wont even notice johnny hockey when the playoffs start (if they make it).

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
That's surprising. It's obviously a bit different when you're actually in the situation, but how many Oiler fans would actually consider signing in Calgary when Edmonton is offering you a deal as well?

Because, whether we'd like to admit it or not, Burke and Treliving are way more competent than Lowe and MacTavish. You have to put yourself in his shoes. I'd be really nervous entering the Oilers organization. Sure he may have a better chance at playing, but he'd also have a good chance in Calgary. He could easily beat out Smid, Engellend, Diaz, and Schlemko.

I'm sure it's painful, but I think having Giordano as captain is a big selling feature for him knowing that he was also an undrafted free agent. He also gets to stay close to home and doesn't have to deal with the weird Lowe MacTavish tire fire.

It's hard to watch as a long time Oilers fan, but I like what's happening in Calgary. They are swimming in cap space.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Dont know how to Embed Tweets clearly...

From Bob McKenzie

CGY is strong front runner to land college UFA right-shot D Kenney Morrison of Western Michigan University.

Good for him and Calgary. He gets to play close to home, and won't sewer his career by signing with the Oilers. Makes sense.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
hopefully if he signs with Calgary, it'll turn into another Corban Knight situation. Remember him?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for him and Calgary. He gets to play close to home, and won't sewer his career by signing with the Oilers. Makes sense.

Or he's smarter than that and signs with us and has RNH, Eberle and Yak feeding him for his bomb of a shot on the PP and at ES.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Probaly looks at the D prospects in the system and sees he is far above any D prospect in the system, all of them with no NHL potential. Probaly the worst D prospect corp in the league

Even though the Oilers have limited RHD prospects, they still have Klefbom who can go right, Hanifin who can too and also a guy like Simpson. The D prospects in OKC are getting loaded up too. Could soon add Laleggia and Betker.

Morrison would be a nice piece, but a bottom pairing type guy. The Corban Knight comparison is pretty good too, was supposed to be the savior 3c but fizzled out in the AHL

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
**** me! :rant: :madfire:

I don't wish him bad will or anything but I hope that he's buried in the minors for the entirety of his ELC and that he wishes that he signed here to get a better opportunity.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Can't blame the kid, even if he was an oiler fan, best chance for him to develop properly and have a decent career is not here and he wants to stay close to home

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Backlund
Neimz
Irving
Pelech
Chucko
Nystrom

All say hi to. If there was one worse development team than the Oilers, its Calgary

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
This just sucks immensely as it seems that we've been scouting him out for a few years now. And then of all places, he signs in Calgary. :shakehead Oh well.

Hemi-Cuda

Jun 28, 2006
Calgary
Sven Bartschi says hi.

What? Sven didn't put in the work required, got passed by several prospects in the system, and then pouted because he wasn't given an NHL spot automatically. The Flames gave him every opportunity to prove himself but it just never happened

Hemi-Cuda

Jun 28, 2006
Calgary
That just proves how bad the drafting was during the Sutter years, aside from Backlund there simply wasn't anything to develop (and Backlund has turned into a pretty solid defensive center). If you look at how players like Giordano, Brodie, and Russell have all come along in the Flames system it's pretty solid proof that they know how to develop d-men. That probably played a big factor in Morrison signing here

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Flames Fans

Congrats on signing Morrison, however remember this is the OILERS board so this is not the place to come and crap talk or gloat. Anyone that does so will be dealt with.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I don't know how anyone could question why a player chose to go somewhere other than Edmonton. The Oilers can't even overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad