NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Of course MacT will approach Morrison and O'Connor and make the standard max ELC I am sure..the question will be who wants to join this team?
O'Connor saves us a 2nd round pick so we don't take a goalie.
Morrison just helps us tremendously for RHD depth.

Do we know when they can sign? June 1? or earlier?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Of course MacT will approach Morrison and O'Connor and make the standard max ELC I am sure..the question will be who wants to join this team?
O'Connor saves us a 2nd round pick so we don't take a goalie.
Morrison just helps us tremendously for RHD depth.

Do we know when they can sign? June 1? or earlier?

I think it's as soon as the College season is over.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oksanen please

+1 .. especially if we are picking Eichel.

4 more goals than Eichel ..
22goals in 32GP is crazy for a Dman. Has the size too with 6'3" 201lbs

edit: looks like he was moved to wing this season

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Mike Reilly is a no brainer if Howson pulls magic to bring him here.

I mean, the Eskimos have him, why not the Oil?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mike Reilly is a no brainer if Howson pulls magic to bring him here.

I mean, the Eskimos have him, why not the Oil?

Ideal summer: Oilers sign Reilly, win lottery for McDavid.

Oilers have McDavid, Schultz and Reilly.

Main boards melt down.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
How many contracts do we currently have? Trading Petry opened up one, how many others we got?

Edit- I got 47 if this is accurate I fully expect MacT to try sign at least 2 NCAA, maybe even 3

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Interesting article in the Hockey News Future Watch about Matt O'Connor.

Apparently O'Connor's big into environmental issues and even mentioned how much he looks up to Andrew Ference.

So maybe we should keep the old captain around for another year.....

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Interesting article in the Hockey News Future Watch about Matt O'Connor.

Apparently O'Connor's big into environmental issues and even mentioned how much he looks up to Andrew Ference.

So maybe we should keep the old captain around for another year.....

I remember reading about this, but couldn't find the link... till now.

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-hockey-news/20150401/283588103823125/TextView

The Ference stuff is the last paragraph of the article. Would have thought they could have met while he was a Bruin and O'Conner would have been a freshman, but not sure those timelines match up. At any rate, always helpful to appeals to a free agent's personal aspirations on and off the ice.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I believe but am not certain that Western Michigan is now out. The Oilers are in a position to sign a guy like Morrison and play him right away. That burns a year on his ELC which is huge for most of these type of UFA's. It's not like he can hurt their playoff chances.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I believe but am not certain that Western Michigan is now out. The Oilers are in a position to sign a guy like Morrison and play him right away. That burns a year on his ELC which is huge for most of these type of UFA's. It's not like he can hurt their playoff chances.

Ya, any college UFA dman has to be looking at our defense, and seeing the opportunity to get their shot, and to make an NHL paycheck

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
When has an NCAA signing had an impact?

The only example I can think of is Tyler Bozak.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Dekeyser, Andy Greene, Bozak, Purcell, Letestu, Tanev,Wingels, Scrivens,Cam Talbot, Read, Krug.. That's since the 05 lockout.

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Ya, any college UFA dman has to be looking at our defense, and seeing the opportunity to get their shot, and to make an NHL paycheck

Yeah I'd agree. We're in a position to sign and play him a few games down the stretch in a 3rd pairing PP option. I feel like RNH has missed having a right handed boomstick as an option on the PP.

But mostly to me it comes down to needing RHD prospects. Can't believe we've been without for so long.

I wonder, and Fourier maybe you know. We only have 1 call-up left this season, if we do sign a NCAA free agent, do we have to burn that call-up to get them on the team to start their pro career?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Kenny DeKeyser is basically Detroit's second best defenseman. Boston has Torey Krug. Andrej Sustr looks very good as well. Kevin Hayes is having a very good year as a rookie in NY. He was drafted but signed as a UFA. Calgary is probably very pleased with Josh Jooris. There's a few of these guys making the NHL each year. Basically the best of them are like free 2nd round picks or even late firsts.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah I'd agree. We're in a position to sign and play him a few games down the stretch in a 3rd pairing PP option. I feel like RNH has missed having a right handed boomstick as an option on the PP.

But mostly to me it comes down to needing RHD prospects. Can't believe we've been without for so long.

I wonder, and Fourier maybe you know. We only have 1 call-up left this season, if we do sign a NCAA free agent, do we have to burn that call-up to get them on the team to start their pro career?

I don't believe so since the player would not be assigned. But I am not 100% sure.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't believe so since the player would not be assigned. But I am not 100% sure.
I would imagine you're right. I'd think that as long as there is a roster spot, the "default" for him when signing would be the NHL.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Yes! This! Bring him in now and wipe out a year of his deal. We'd still have his RFA rights so I don't see the downside. Unless of course we just really need to see what Aulie can do (sarcasm)

Would he need to play 10 games to lose that ELC year? If so we would have to guarantee him that, which I don't think would be an issue.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really hope that we land Morrison. I agree with Soli that RNH could really benefit from a big RH shot on the point and that RH shot would greatly benefit from RNH's passing to the point.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm not getting my hopes up on these NCAA players... 29 other teams also obviously vying for their services so the Oilers chances are slim to none in getting the premier players.

This is like an early version of the disappointing UFA season in July.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'm not getting my hopes up on these NCAA players... 29 other teams also obviously vying for their services so the Oilers chances are slim to none in getting the premier players.

This is like an early version of the disappointing UFA season in July.

The Oilers have been pursuing this kid for the last two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad