NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Last edited by a moderator:

Gambl0r83*

Kenny Morrison is an Alberta boy, 6'2 205 lbs, with the hardest shot in collegiate hockey. This is the real 'Brad Hunt' that MacT should be salivating over.

Matt O'Connor is 'the hottest commodity' in goaltending right now. 18-3-4 with the nations highest GAA. 6'5 this guy is huge in net. That's the trend right now, ala Dubnyk.

Two free agents that will be pillars in building this team the right way.

Will it happen? Will MacT and Co. make such 'bold' moves? pfffftttttt :shakehead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kenny Morrison is an Alberta boy, 6'2 205 lbs, with the hardest shot in collegiate hockey. This is the real 'Brad Hunt' that MacT should be salivating over.

Matt O'Connor is 'the hottest commodity' in goaltending right now. 18-3-4 with the nations highest GAA. 6'5 this guy is huge in net. That's the trend right now, ala Dubnyk.

Will it happen? Will MacT and Co. make such 'bold' moves? pfffftttttt :shakehead

Those are the 2 biggest prizes IMO, we could really use these guys.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

It might be nice to get a couple of those guys, but it's hard to get really excited when these guys rarely pan out, and most often are undrafted for a reason.

I think "pillars" is a little strong.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think that we could have a pretty good chance at O'Connor.

If you look at it from his perspective, we have no starter and only one other potentially NHL quality goal prospect in the entire organization. He would definitely be given opportunities that he might not get elsewhere.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Seeing as it had been reported a couple of weeks ago that the Oilers were persuing both, then yeah, I'd say if those kids want to sign here, he will make those moves. Although coming out of college is when you have the biggest options as a free agent.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Worth a try to sign them. Keep my fingers crossed otherwise I am not going to worry about it.

Jun 9, 2011
These guys get paid the same by every team right? ELC? I just don't see what we can offer. We no longer have Krueger to sway them either.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Good question. Depending on what they want. If they want to play in the Nhl right away a rebuilding team is perfect for them

Both are going to play in the AHL no matter where they go, although O'Connor would probably be higher on the prospect depth chart here than most other teams. Morrison would be at least a year out from seeing time.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
One thing that makes me wonder about Morrisson is that he wasn't a rookie camp this year after attending the previous two. Makes me wonder if he's decided to go elsewheres.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Didn't we try to sign Morrisson last year??

Also we have been the most often mentioned team in respect to O'Connor, hopefully means we've got a shot.

I haven't seen either play but from the sounds of it they both have solid attributes that make them seem like a good bet. Both are probably a year or 2 away, and undrafted NCAA players rarely develop into stars but it is definitely worth the gamble.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
I think Morrisom goes back to college for one more year. Get a degree and have a shot at a national championship.

Likely more incentive for him to do that then get stuffed into the AHL.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
that morrison is a RHD as well. We might be an easy sell since we traded Petry and have a bit of an opening there, not just today but for the future as well. We have only LHD it seems in the system

Get that goalie too. For all that's holy that's got to be our biggest org weakness for prospects

Oct 30, 2011
there's a good chance to sign a couple of these guys, with Morrison and O'Connor being the most likely.

I'm curious as to which prospect contracts we will be moving out though. For goalies, maybe don't sign Bachman and trade Bunz?

As for D-men, I think Gernat will be moved. Musil might be more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad