NCAA Basketball - Tournament Time

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
People calling Gonzaga's road to the Final Four a cupcake are obviously unaware of the fact that North Carolina's road to the Championship last season included beating seeds 16, 9, 5, 6, and 10. And yet, nobody complained a bit. Hmmmm..... :sarcasm:

Gonzaga is a talented team. I said it at the beginning of the tournament and I'll say it now, on paper they're as talented as any team in the country. On top of that they're also one of the most well-coached. Thus far they've had 11 wins against teams that made it to at least the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. They've had more neutral site/away wins against top 40 KenPom teams than North Carolina, Duke, Arizona, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, the list goes on (including 3 wins against top 10 KenPom teams, 5 against top 15 and 7 against top 20).

Anybody complaining about Gonzaga is simply living by old (and largely false) narratives at this point.

Last edited:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Absolutely awesome game (especially as a UNC fan), but shameful it didn't take place in the title game or at worst, the national semis. Embarrassing job by the committee with seeding and placement this year. The fact that UNC, Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA, and Kansas were all on the same side of the bracket is a joke.

Nobody gives a **** about Gonzaga and their cupcake road to the Final Four.

:laugh:

The most obvious "I only watch college basketball in March" post I've seen so far.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
:laugh:

The most obvious "I only watch college basketball in March" post I've seen so far.
Because I **** on Gonzaga? I actually watch plenty of games in November and December (before the season actually picks up in January w/ conf. play). Not to mention, I always catch some of the early season invitationals in NYC (was courtside for the 2K Classic and Under Armour Reunion this season). But ya, I only watch college basketball in march lolz.

Good to know you're a thin-skinned Gonzaga backer. :laugh:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Because I **** on Gonzaga? I actually watch plenty of games in November and December (before the season actually picks up in January w/ conf. play). Not to mention, I always catch some of the early season invitationals in NYC (was courtside for the 2K Classic and Under Armour Reunion this season). But ya, I only watch college basketball in march lolz.

Good to know you're a thin-skinned Gonzaga backer. :laugh:

I'm not a "thin skinned Gonzaga backer". I'm not a Gonzaga backer at all for that matter. I'm just laughing at somebody who can so easily overlook stats, analysis, and downright facts from this season.

Having the money to attend games courtside isn't the same thing as paying attention to college basketball. You would seem to be exhibit A.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Lol at calling a side of a bracket with Nova, Duke, and Zona an embarrassment by the committee.
Where did I make that statement? Re-read my post, clown.

I'm not a "thin skinned Gonzaga backer". I'm not a Gonzaga backer at all for that matter. I'm just laughing at somebody who can so easily overlook stats, analysis, and downright facts from this season.
I'm not overlooking anything. Gonzaga has had a cupcake road. Fact. They had trouble putting away Northwestern and they really should have lost to WVU. If they make it past South Carolina, they'll get their **** kicked in by Oregon/UNC.

Having the money to attend games courtside isn't the same thing as paying attention to college basketball. You would seem to be exhibit A.
Lol, I wouldn't bother going to games if I didn't pay attention to the sport. I've been watching college basketball since I was 14... that's a long time before I even had the chance to attend a game.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The committee made some bad mistakes this tourney with regard to seeding. Their placement of the top seeds by region was definitely not one of them. not sure where this guy came up with that one. :laugh:

Wisconsin and Wichita State immediately come to mind as under seeded and Louisville and Minnesota were over seeded. Minnesota and Wisconsin probably should have been flip flopped. Mid Tenn St was the easiest upset pick on the board and actually wound up being favored. As a matter of fact they probably could've been a seed or 2 higher.

I agree that UNC, Kentucky and UCLA all shouldn't have been in the same region and the overseeding of Louisville probably played a part in that.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Wisconsin and Wichita State immediately come to mind as under seeded and Louisville and Minnesota were over seeded. Minnesota and Wisconsin probably should have been flip flopped. Mid Tenn St was the easiest upset pick on the board and actually wound up being favored. As a matter of fact they probably could've been a seed or 2 higher.

I agree that UNC, Kentucky and UCLA all shouldn't have been in the same region and the overseeding of Louisville probably played a part in that.

I could get on board with the idea that having UNC, UK, and UCLA all in the same region was a poor decision. But acting like having Oregon and Kansas on the same half of the bracket is some kind of 'embarassment' (as another poster has stated) is simply foolish.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I'm not overlooking anything. Gonzaga has had a cupcake road. Fact. They had trouble putting away Northwestern and they really should have lost to WVU. If they make it past South Carolina, they'll get their **** kicked in by Oregon/UNC.

Lol, I wouldn't bother going to games if I didn't pay attention to the sport. I've been watching college basketball since I was 14... that's a long time before I even had the chance to attend a game.

Their road has been no easier than UNC's last season. I'd like to hear some sort of counter argument to my first post on this page as well if you're willing to play along. You've yet to provide anything statistical or analytical to back your anti-Gonzaga views.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where did I make that statement? Re-read my post, clown.

You're right, you just said that having certain teams on one side was a joke or something to that effect. But both sides had hard teams. That's the nature of the bracket. Having the Pac-12 champion and Big 12 runner up in your bracket is not a cupcake road.

Oregon struggled with Michigan. UNC was down to the wire against Arkansas. That's a silly argument.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
You're right, you just said that having certain teams on one side was a joke or something to that effect. But both sides had hard teams. That's the nature of the bracket. Having the Pac-12 champion and Big 12 runner up in your bracket is not a cupcake road.

Oregon struggled with Michigan. UNC was down to the wire against Arkansas. That's a silly argument.

There is no substance to what Zeus is saying. Literally nothing tangible backs up the belief that Gonzaga is anything less than a legit Title contending team. Since 2002 they've posted the 4th highest KenPom efficiency rating behind only 2002 Duke, 2008 Kansas, and 2015 Kentucky. Even if Gonzaga gets blown out by South Carolina, this will truly be one of the most impressive college basketball seasons of the past 15 years.

As I stated in a prior post at the start of the tournament, Gonzaga has been overrated many times before. The last time they were a 1 seed they were not deserving. This season they were absolutely worthy.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is no substance to what Zeus is saying. Literally nothing tangible backs up the belief that Gonzaga is anything less than a legit Title contending team. Since 2002 they've posted the 4th highest KenPom efficiency rating behind only 2002 Duke, 2008 Kansas, and 2015 Kentucky. Even if Gonzaga gets blown out by South Carolina, this will truly be one of the most impressive college basketball seasons of the past 15 years.

As I stated in a prior post at the start of the tournament, Gonzaga has been overrated many times before. The last time they were a 1 seed they were not deserving. This season they were absolutely worthy.

I agree with this, but there really weren't any other deserving teams that year for a #1 seed.

This Gonzaga team was probably the best one ever, and I'm not saying that just because this is the longest they've lasted in the tournament.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I agree with this, but there really weren't any other deserving teams that year for a #1 seed.

This Gonzaga team was probably the best one ever, and I'm not saying that just because this is the longest they've lasted in the tournament.

That is very fair to say too. It's just a bit unfortunate for Gonzaga's sake that they were slotted there for the first time ever when they weren't ready. Had a team like say Kansas been put as a 1 seed and fizzled out in the second round it would've been chalked up to a big upset. For Gonzaga it just continued a narrative of poor tournament results for an overrated mid-major team.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
That is very fair to say too. It's just a bit unfortunate for Gonzaga's sake that they were slotted there for the first time ever when they weren't ready. Had a team like say Kansas been put as a 1 seed and fizzled out in the second round it would've been chalked up to a big upset. For Gonzaga it just continued a narrative of poor tournament results for an overrated mid-major team.

I brought up to my brother about Gonzaga potentially joining the Mountain West as a basketball only member a few years ago (since they only have 11 basketball members). Now, the WCC might be better than the MWC.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Gonzaga beating West Virginia was a tougher feat in this tourney than most of the other FF teams had in March.

They felt the full Press Virginia Experience..... and lived to tell the tale.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Gonzaga beating West Virginia was a tougher feat in this tourney than most of the other FF teams had in March.

They felt the full Press Virginia Experience..... and lived to tell the tale.

It honestly boggles my mind how many teams can't handle a press. Heck, West Virginia presses all the time, and they couldn't handle Kansas' press earlier this year in that massive choke.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

The number will go up this year :D

the number will but the percentage wont. (Im guessing they aren't counting the Walk ons ether)

Willis, Hawkins, and Mulder wont be drafted, and Humphries will probably transfer and wont get drafted.

Fox, Monk, and Bam are the only ones for sure to get drafted this summer. Briscoe is probably second round at best. And Gabriel may get drafted if he stays but if he leaves I don't think he will.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I brought up to my brother about Gonzaga potentially joining the Mountain West as a basketball only member a few years ago (since they only have 11 basketball members). Now, the WCC might be better than the MWC.

Yea the WCC is absolutely better than the MW at this point. Not saying much though. Gonzaga, St Marys and BYU form a decent top 3 for a mid major conference. The rest of the conference is putrid but it seems every season one of Santa Clara, USF, Loyola Marymount, or Pepperdine surprises and plays pretty competitive with the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad