NCAA Basketball - Tournament Time

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kansas is in such a rush right now. It looks indistinguishable from panic. Plenty of time left.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I know Oregon won the very first NCAA Championship in 1939, but I had no idea that's also the one and only time they've been to the Final Four.

Two West coast teams in the Final 4 is pretty cool.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kansas cuts it to six. Definitely not over yet....back up to 11 quickly, it's over now.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Always great to see Kansas get smacked around in the tournament... especially in their own backyard. **** them and **** Bill Self.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not bitter over Michigan losing to Oregon. But Kansas are chokers pure and simple.
I think you are doing a serious disservice to Oregon. They won that game on merit, choking by the opposition had nothing to do with it.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Also, congrats to Gonzaga for finally breaking through. Even if it was against an 11th seed.

No excuses for them not to reach the National Championship game.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think you are doing a serious disservice to Oregon. They won that game on merit, choking by the opposition had nothing to do with it.

Northern Iowa and VCU say otherwise. Especially when the pressure is on and Kansas starts becoming a heavy favorite, they fold.

Down 15 at halftime despite relatively a home-court advantage. Oregon is good but c'mon.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Oregon was awesome today - Dorsey hasn't missed a big shot all tournament. Kansas got close but never popped off and started raining buckets like they did in past games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Oregon and Villanova are very good teams, so he Self shouldn't get **** on for these past two years. But in his time at KU since 2003, he has only been to the final 4 twice. He has lost to Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU, Stanford, and Wichita State. Only VCU was after the first weekend. He severely underachieves in the tournament.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
South Carolina plays physical basketball, but Florida is making its shots.

Sep 19, 2008
What really struck me from South Carolina today was what boss Frank Martin said before the game, something that echoed the family atmosphere of Buzz Williams. These are impressionable young men. And a coach isn't there just to teach them basketball. They're there to help mold these boys, into men. And that made me happy as I was driving home today listening to pre-game coverage of the match on the radio.
Buzz Williams said to all of his seniors, addressed them one by one in a huddle, he said he would be there for the rest of their life if they needed his help. In a similar note, Frank Martin stated that he would always have these two hour talks every week where they can talk anything but basketball. So these young men were able to explore and discuss political issues as well as issues hitting young men today in an open forum. It always struck me how great that was, when someone like Martin could do this to help others, or Harbaugh and his "open door policy" where any athlete could come in and voice a concern or get advice.
These guys are coaches first and foremost. But there is that notion that you just do not see in the professional game and that is that they are also mentors to young men too and in some cases a father figure, as seen with the late Dean Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad