NBC Sports getting makeover

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Dan Patrick? He's a free agent these days and has name recognition with most sports fans. Obviously I'm not suggesting he'd be a play by play guy, but I think he'd be a nice pick up as a host.

He has a show on Fox sports that recently started, FOX isnt going to let him go until they have time to determine if the show will succeed and if it is a success they will keep him

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A big deal, yes. Top priority? You're kidding yourself if you think they'll put that over ratings.

Don't think I ever used the words "top priority," but your announcers actually know who is playing in the game should be one of them. No one's ever going to be perfect, but I'll take the guy who writes the NHL's Players pronunciation guide 8 days a week, and any self-respecting national network should, too.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
He has a show on Fox sports that recently started, FOX isnt going to let him go until they have time to determine if the show will succeed and if it is a success they will keep him

Dan Patrick is under contract with NBC and Directv, not Fox. His radio/TV show is owned and produced by Directv. Directv originally broadcasted the Dan Patrick Show on their 101 channel and the FSN channels that they own (FSN Pitt, RM, NW). They then syndicated the rights to FSN on a national basis but Fox has no control over the show. I think you will only see DP during the finals as he's done in the past.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
There's another way of looking at it... could be possible to see Al Michaels calling hockey again?

He's the best-educated announcer ever. There have been multiple times I've seen/heard him spout off rules that it was apparent that some of the coaches weren't even aware of.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
There's another way of looking at it... could be possible to see Al Michaels calling hockey again?

He's the best-educated announcer ever. There have been multiple times I've seen/heard him spout off rules that it was apparent that some of the coaches weren't even aware of.

I've always thought about that. Michaels is a Kings STH so he does follow the NHL. I'm guessing at his age though he probably doesn't have much interest in taking up another announcing gig besides football and the Olympics. He's never done play by play for an NHL game and he hasn't done play by play for a hockey game of any kind since 1988 besides his hosting duties.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I've always thought about that. Michaels is a Kings STH so he does follow the NHL. I'm guessing at his age though he probably doesn't have much interest in taking up another announcing gig besides football and the Olympics. He's never done play by play for an NHL game and he hasn't done play by play for a hockey game of any kind since 1988 besides his hosting duties.

I thought he did a couple regional West Coast games in the early days of the mid-90's ESPN/ABC deal??? I remember him saying there was some major occurance "right before he called his first hockey game in years" -- major trade or something -- and just added to the anxiety for him. Can't remember what it was (or even when).

I remember him hosting a couple of the Cup Finals when they were on ABC, too. Didn't last too long, unfortunately.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Doc is a superior PBP guy compared with Thorne anyway. Not only does Thorne constantly mispronounce names, but his voice can be fairly grating. Emeick with Clement would be the ideal American hockey announcing team.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Doc has a very annoying voice. Joe Beninati was the best and can't believe he got cut.

Also McGuire will never get fired/leave from TSN, he's too big and one of their main announcers.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
I thought he did a couple regional West Coast games in the early days of the mid-90's ESPN/ABC deal??? I remember him saying there was some major occurance "right before he called his first hockey game in years" -- major trade or something -- and just added to the anxiety for him. Can't remember what it was (or even when).

I remember him hosting a couple of the Cup Finals when they were on ABC, too. Didn't last too long, unfortunately.

That's possible. I assume you mean the pre-FOX era of the ESPN deal- 1992-93 or so. That was so long ago, it would be easy to forget :) I don't remember him doing any, but if it was regional, and I lived in Michigan at the time, then it gives me a good excuse to not remember it. :laugh:

I could never figure out why ABC and ESPN didn't utilize him much. He's a hockey icon in the States and should've been a regular just because of his iconic status. He hosted the finals for a couple of years, replacing John Saunders and did a decent job. I liked his work as Olympics host in 2010. I just wonder now, nearing age 70, if he would want to get involved with another sport full-time. I found it odd that NBC chose Dan Patrick over him as host during the 2010 Finals since Michaels is much more identifiable with hockey and the fact that Michaels was heavily involved with NBC's Olympic hockey coverage.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
https://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/a-little-patience-with-versus-changes-for-now/

Based on that article, the major changes are:

Starting tonight, the #1 announcing team will be Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk and Pierre McGuire inside the glass. Versus has never had an "Inside the Glass" presence during games - now they will have it for all of their games.

Brian Engblom will move from in-studio analyst to inside the glass analyst.

Joe Beninati fired. (Won't miss him a bit.)

Bob Harwood, Lindsey Soto and all of the "non-player" sideline reports have been fired. (Bob will have a new gig soon enough. He's too good at what he does not to.)

Mike Milbury is replacing Brian Engblom in-studio. (Gag.)

That's quite a reshuffle mid-season.

Interesting note in the article - this will be the first time in 16 years that we'll have the same announcing team for all SC Finals games.

Last edited:

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
https://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/a-little-patience-with-versus-changes-for-now/

Based on that article, the major changes are:

Changes of note:

Starting tonight, the #1 announcing team will be Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk and Pierre McGuire inside the glass. Versus has never had an "Inside the Glass" presence during games - now they will have it for all of their games.

Brian Engblom will move from in-studio analyst to inside the glass analyst.

Joe Beninati fired. (Won't miss him a bit.)

Bob Harwood, Lindsey Soto and all of the "non-player" sideline reports have been fired. (Bob will have a new gig soon enough. He's too good at what he does not to.)

Mike Milbury is replacing Brian Engblom in-studio. (Gag.)

That's quite a reshuffle mid-season.

Interesting note in the article - this will be the first time in 16 years that we'll have the same announcing team for all SC Finals games.

Won't be watching tonight anyway the Beanpot is on !!

Jesus Toews*

I'm confused--haven't Doc and Eddie called every Finals game since the lockout?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Update from that PTM entry:

"From what I’ve heard, everyone but Emrick and Olczyk is an uncertainty."

Good. Everyone else was a relative disgrace. Eddie O is pretty bad, too.

Keep Doc and then re-do the entire staff. Heads should roll, as Versus looked really low rent compared to ESPN. Either way, this is a great thing for the NHL.

Seaward*

I hope they drop the stupid Versus name sooner rather than later.

NBC Sports sounds so much better.

Then just keep the tagline:
The NHL on NBC.

Sounds so much more professional than

The NHL on Versus.

Or go with something like "National Hockey night on NBC Sports" type programming.

Also, take the NBC graphic package immediately.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Hmm already a difference in the coverage. Looks like the pre-game show is live from the arena instead of in the studio. Or at least part of it is. Have to say gut reaction is this is a positive

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The guy from The Daily Line?!?!

I believe he has been doing some work on the NHL Overtime show.

Odd no Bill Patrick. I would assume he isn't among the group fired considering he also works for NBC, including anchoring the hockey coverage for them in the Olympics last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad