NBC Sports getting makeover

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't think I ever used the words "top priority," but your announcers actually know who is playing in the game should be one of them. No one's ever going to be perfect, but I'll take the guy who writes the NHL's Players pronunciation guide 8 days a week, and any self-respecting national network should, too.

I fail to see the difference between first and top in this context. You can take whoever you want but while Thorne may screw up a name or two, he's good at making the game entertaining to watch. That is something that nobody that has been on Versus does. ESPN/ABC may be a lot of things but I sincerely doubt that their self-respect came into question when they had Thorne do the games for years. You act like Thorne misses every other name when he's announcing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I fail to see the difference between first and top in this context. You can take whoever you want but while Thorne may screw up a name or two, he's good at making the game entertaining to watch. That is something that nobody that has been on Versus does. ESPN/ABC may be a lot of things but I sincerely doubt that their self-respect came into question when they had Thorne do the games for years. You act like Thorne misses every other name when he's announcing.

He does. According to Thorne, Mikael Renberg was still on the Flyers through the lockout. He's not a hockey-first annoucer, and it shows. Emerick does just fine making the game exciting with great goal calls, and is into it with the crowd. I don't hate Thorne, but the people who claim he's the greatest of all time is sheer lunacy considering how much the average HF poster goes out of his/her way to find any minute thing complain about.

Briere Up There*

It's a matter of opinion, not lunacy. Many fans grew up listening to Thorne call every important moment in the playoffs for over a decade. It's not surprising he's revered, even if he screws up some 3rd line Swede's name.

Thorne is a lot better to listen to than Doc "A Driiiivve" Emrick for me. He makes games sound important.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He does. According to Thorne, Mikael Renberg was still on the Flyers through the lockout. He's not a hockey-first annoucer, and it shows. Emerick does just fine making the game exciting with great goal calls, and is into it with the crowd. I don't hate Thorne, but the people who claim he's the greatest of all time is sheer lunacy considering how much the average HF poster goes out of his/her way to find any minute thing complain about.

Thorne is just a screw-up in general. He messes up about as much calling baseball.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I actually watched an interview about Thorne online sometime during the NHL lockout. I recall him being a huge hockey fan, and he didn't come off as a baseball first guy. Talked about how dissapointed he was that the NHL was in a lockout and how the NHL playoffs/Stanley cup was his favourite broadcast gig.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I actually watched an interview about Thorne online sometime during the NHL lockout. I recall him being a huge hockey fan, and he didn't come off as a baseball first guy. Talked about how dissapointed he was that the NHL was in a lockout and how the NHL playoffs/Stanley cup was his favourite broadcast gig.

He owns part of team and called hockey before he got his big break doing baseball. Regardless, he opted for baseball over hockey and even took a daily PXP gig with the Orioles.

It's a matter of opinion, not lunacy. Many fans grew up listening to Thorne call every important moment in the playoffs for over a decade. It's not surprising he's revered, even if he screws up some 3rd line Swede's name.

Thorne is a lot better to listen to than Doc "A Driiiivve" Emrick for me. He makes games sound important.

Um, wasn't it Flyers fans who were complaining 2 weeks ago when Emrick like freaked out calling an empty net goal during a win for a team who is in last place?

Regardless, I grew up listening to both until Fox dropped the rights. Emrick always made every same sound important. Always has. Will continue to do so. Thorne does too, but to claim Thorne is God's gift to announcing hockey while ditching Emrick, is showing a complete double standard if not blatant hypocrisy.

EagleBlack87

Score ze goals
Sep 18, 2007
Dear God, NO Thorne!

Thorne mispronounced so many player names that I actually thought my team had traded for players or something when he used to call the games on ESPN/2.

hahahaha you had my busting out laughing with this one. It's so damn true. Please no Thorne!!

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

Take away the nostalgia factor and nobody would want Thorne at all. I typically opted for CBC's playoff coverage over ESPN's as a kid so I have almost no nostalgic memories of Thorne or NHL 2nite (though the theme song still gives me chills).

Apr 16, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I believe he has been doing some work on the NHL Overtime show.

Odd no Bill Patrick. I would assume he isn't among the group fired considering he also works for NBC, including anchoring the hockey coverage for them in the Olympics last year.

I read somewhere on twitter tonight that Bill Patrick just has the week off for vacation.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sharks used to have a goalie Thorne pronounced NABakov (should be nahBAWHkov).

And a top pairing d-man ragNARson (should be RAGnarson).

#2 draft pick mahrLOH (should be MAHRloh).

IIRC he also mixed up Dimitrakos, Korolyuk among others.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Holy crap... Bill Pidto is back? He hosted NHL2Nite back in the day and here he is on NHL Overtime tonight.

If this is permanent.... sweet.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Holy crap... Bill Pidto is back? He hosted NHL2Nite back in the day and here he is on NHL Overtime tonight.

Pidto has filled in several times this year on both Overtime and as studio host. I only see him as a fill in since his main gig is as a Rangers host for MSG. It is nice to see him back on national tv.

Briere Up There*

Um, wasn't it Flyers fans who were complaining 2 weeks ago when Emrick like freaked out calling an empty net goal during a win for a team who is in last place?
That's very interesting. I wasn't freaking out about anything. I don't care.

Regardless, I grew up listening to both until Fox dropped the rights. Emrick always made every same sound important. Always has. Will continue to do so. Thorne does too, but to claim Thorne is God's gift to announcing hockey while ditching Emrick, is showing a complete double standard if not blatant hypocrisy.
God's gift to announcing? I like him better than Emrick. It's as simple as that.

Sharks used to have a goalie Thorne pronounced NABakov (should be nahBAWHkov).

And a top pairing d-man ragNARson (should be RAGnarson).

#2 draft pick mahrLOH (should be MAHRloh).

IIRC he also mixed up Dimitrakos, Korolyuk among others.

Whoopty doo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's very interesting. I wasn't freaking out about anything. I don't care.

God's gift to announcing? I like him better than Emrick. It's as simple as that.

Whoopty doo.

It's a big deal. Players want their names announced correctly. And people should be getting the correct pronunciations of names. Other than the ones who wake up one morning and decide they want it said differently. I mean, this is a pretty basic thing. To not get the names of the players right is just lazy and ignorant of someone being paid a lot of money to do it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

He has been the host of the local NY hcokey night show on MSG. I laugh because most of the Versus analyst on that show have been taken from MSG. I guess that is because they are local.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
let me throw this at you....have John Madden do it. I just want him to somehow throw a Brett Favre reference in there & have Calliendo mimic it on the pregame....

The best we could do for Madden is have Brent Fedyk come out of retirement and wear number 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad