NBC Sports getting makeover

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I always figured there would be a day where there would be a nationally branded Comcast SportsNet, but it might be confusing considering there's local markets with the same name.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i think NBC sports is the only option.

NBC is their best brand. NBC sports is an established brand as well.
Just makes sense.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I always figured there would be a day where there would be a nationally branded Comcast SportsNet, but it might be confusing considering there's local markets with the same name.
I think NBC is a much stronger brand than Comcast is, and they'd probably like to differentiate their broadcast properties from their cable business. I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC's branding completely replace Comcast's on the content side.

I'll be interested in seeing if they can integrate all those regional sports networks with their main Vs or NBC Sports network in a way that Fox has never done. Fox never had a national sports channel to tie them all together even though they had national programming.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
the way i see it is 3 tiers:

NBC for the weekend national games (football, some hockey, WC, playoffs, etc.)
NBC sports (formerly versus) for other national games, mostly on weekdays when NBC has their regular non-sports programing, and possibly second hockey games on weekends.
Regional channels (currently CSN, undecided on what the new name would be, if it changes at all) for local broadcasts.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ebersol already confirmed a name change for Versus, but said it was a few months away. My guess they will wait until after the playoffs for that.

My guess is the CSN names will stay

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Any ideas of if theyre going to change the name "Versus" or not? When all this first started happening an idea I mentioned a few times, which I thought was better, was to name the station something more formal. My idea was "CSNA" for Comcast Sportsnet America, and start from there. I dont know if its allowed, but I always thought a good idea as well that besides the national mon. and tues. games, is throw on the local comcast sportsnet feeds on CSNA during the week as well, Sharks, Hawks, etc.

Comcast already does that somewhat with their NHL Xtra broadcasts. They put CSN produced games in out of market regions. For instance CSN Cali may air a Hawks game from CSN Chicago. I don't know the exact number of Xtra broadcasts they do but it's in the Versus contract with the NHL. I don't see CSN undergoing a name change as the channels are such tied into Comcast cable especially when it comes to marketing.

I do wonder how Pierre will juggle all this. As mentioned he left OLN because of his busy workload. I don't think Engblom would mind since he first joined OLN as a part time studio guy while being the CBJ analyst. He's used to being on the road. I think the Versus suits just preferred his studio work since they didn't have many choices when he was first hired.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Dear God, NO Thorne!

Thorne mispronounced so many player names that I actually thought my team had traded for players or something when he used to call the games on ESPN/2.

I'd happily live with any mispronounced names for a little bit better excitement and flair in the announcing compared to what Versus or NBC has generally thrown out there. On a national broadcast, I'm more worried about the entertainment factor than seeking perfection in getting names right.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd happily live with any mispronounced names for a little bit better excitement and flair in the announcing compared to what Versus or NBC has generally thrown out there. On a national broadcast, I'm more worried about the entertainment factor than seeking perfection in getting names right.

On a national telecast, the first priority is making sure all the names are right because you're assuming you have people watching you're trying to hook in. It helps they know as many players as possible and not confuse people.

Thorne is overrated for these reasons. It's amazing how many hockey fans want to dump everyone for Thorne - who is a baseball-first announcer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You know, I wonder if NBC would be interested in having a Sunday afternoon game every week, even if on Universal Sports or whatever they're going to call it, on the weeks they can't on the network. Keep the Sunday momentum going, and since it's cable, maybe feature a few more teams as well. And maybe move the time up to 3pm on those weeks. I don't get why they're so willing to go to 3pm in the playoffs but they're staunch on 12:30 during the season.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Hockey Day in America on Feb. 20th is gonna have an NHL doubleheader (first game is regional, second game- PIT vs. CHI- is national at 3pm.

That's an exception to the 12:30 start time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @wyshynski: Just told Joe B did get the axe at Versus as play by play guy.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
RT @wyshynski: Just told Joe B did get the axe at Versus as play by play guy.

Not surprised he is getting cut as I assumed with all this Strader would move up to the #2 position on Versus given he was NBC's fill in guy. Surprised they are cutting him loose all together now given they are still going to need to call rounds 1 and 2 of the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
On a national telecast, the first priority is making sure all the names are right because you're assuming you have people watching you're trying to hook in. It helps they know as many players as possible and not confuse people.

Thorne is overrated for these reasons. It's amazing how many hockey fans want to dump everyone for Thorne - who is a baseball-first announcer.

Hmm...ratings or getting names right...I wonder what TV execs are really after here. First priority? Give me a break. That is ridiculous. It's about ratings and entertaining your fan base.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Dan Patrick? He's a free agent these days and has name recognition with most sports fans. Obviously I'm not suggesting he'd be a play by play guy, but I think he'd be a nice pick up as a host.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hmm...ratings or getting names right...I wonder what TV execs are really after here. First priority? Give me a break. That is ridiculous. It's about ratings and entertaining your fan base.

People announcing the game who are aware of the names of the players in the game is sort of a big deal.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
You know, I wonder if NBC would be interested in having a Sunday afternoon game every week, even if on Universal Sports or whatever they're going to call it, on the weeks they can't on the network. Keep the Sunday momentum going, and since it's cable, maybe feature a few more teams as well. And maybe move the time up to 3pm on those weeks. I don't get why they're so willing to go to 3pm in the playoffs but they're staunch on 12:30 during the season.

you would think that they'll end up showing a lot of hockey. nbc's main network will most likely keep broadcasting football, so that should free up this new network to play sunday games through the whole season.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
No competent announcer impacts the ratings. No one watches a sports telecast because of the announcer. They watch because of the match-up.

So given the minimal impact an announcer has accuracy is the most important trait one can have.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
you would think that they'll end up showing a lot of hockey. nbc's main network will most likely keep broadcasting football, so that should free up this new network to play sunday games through the whole season.

No they won't. Sundays between October and January is football. You won't see anyone touch a national telecast package that includes Sunday afternoons during the first half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad