NBC Sports getting makeover

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Taken from Puck The Media website:

Here are the broadcast teams for Hockey Day in America:
Not sure yet if there will be a third man "in the glass" for the regional games.

12:35 PM ET, Washington vs. Buffalo – Jim Jackson and Ray Ferraro
12:40 PM ET, Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers – Ken Daniels and Joe Micheletti
12:45 PM ET, Detroit vs. Minnesota – Pat Foley and Darren Pang
3:30 PM ET, Pittsburgh vs. Chicago – Mike Emrick, Ed Olczyk and Pierre McGuire
6:00 PM ET, Montreal vs. Calgary (VERSUS) – Dave Strader, Andy Brickley and Brian Engblom

The entire country – after a half-hour pre-game show from Millenium Park in Chicago – will be brought to the Washington Capitals-Buffalo Sabres game, which has a face-off time of 12:35 PM ET. Then, at 12:40 PM ET, some viewers will be sent off to Madison Square Garden to see the Philadelphia Flyers take on the New York Rangers. Finally, at 12:45 PM ET/11:45 AM CT, much of the country will be taken out to St. Paul to see the Minnesota Wild host the Detroit Red Wings. The entire country will see a match-up of the last two Stanley Cup Champions, Pittsburgh and Chicago at 3:30 PM ET/2:30 PM CT.

Rangers and Flyers will be seen in 54% of the country - Minnesota/Detroit tilt will be seen in 40% of the country - the other 6% of the country will see the Sabres and Capitals. We’ll hope to have regional maps guiding you to which game you’ll see in your market closer to the weekend.

LS....

It'll be nice to hear Foley return to his old awesome self and not be dumbed down like he is paired with Olczyk.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Sharks used to have a goalie Thorne pronounced NABakov (should be nahBAWHkov).

And a top pairing d-man ragNARson (should be RAGnarson).

#2 draft pick mahrLOH (should be MAHRloh).

IIRC he also mixed up Dimitrakos, Korolyuk among others.

Who could forget Manny MalHOARtra? Thorne was terrible. Glad he is doing baseball.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Sharks used to have a goalie Thorne pronounced NABakov (should be nahBAWHkov).

And a top pairing d-man ragNARson (should be RAGnarson).

#2 draft pick mahrLOH (should be MAHRloh).

IIRC he also mixed up Dimitrakos, Korolyuk among others.
Marleau IS pronounced mahr-LOH, it's french canadian. Listen to the arena announcer in SJ every time he gets credited with something, he pronounces it correctly (mahr-LOH).

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I'm not sure if I love or hate the fact that they're not allowing the local PBP guys call their own team's games.

Aren't Michaletti and Edzo the only two calling their "own" teams? They've both been doing national games long enough that I don't think it will matter.

(Save for Edzo's bitterness over getting fired as head coach).

I think they shuffled the deck enough for it to work fine. Outside of the two above, the announcers are all from that division, not the particular teams they routinely cover.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
darrenrovell
BREAKING NEWS: NBC Sports Group secures rights to Triple Crown for the next 5 years http://is.gd/HgP9gj

After only carrying first two races for a few years, they reunite the three after ABC drops Belmont.

Definitely still keeping cards near vest WRT future acquisitions (Olympics).

And may impact some playoff games, should they be played pre-race.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So their genius move is to replace Bill Clement on NBC by some young punk that seems to know nothing about hockey? I hope Milbury slap that kid.

Huh? Clement hasn't been on NBC for 3 years now. They replaced him with Pierre and Milbury. They added McHugh this year after the merger. He had been hosting NHL OT on Versus and IMO is a fine host.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
darrenrovell
BREAKING NEWS: NBC Sports Group secures rights to Triple Crown for the next 5 years http://is.gd/HgP9gj

After only carrying first two races for a few years, they reunite the three after ABC drops Belmont.

Definitely still keeping cards near vest WRT future acquisitions (Olympics).

And may impact some playoff games, should they be played pre-race.

NBC had the Belmont in the past but the NYRA jumped ship and went back to ABC.

The Kentucky Derby, if it goes according to what I think will happen, will run under the lights starting next year.

The Cup Finals schedule would have to run late for the Belmont to be in play, but either way it wouldn't be run at a time where the Cup Finals would interfere with it. The race is usually around 6:30, with coverage wrapped up at 7, and would be a nice lead-in to the pre-game show. And that's only if the Cup Finals run late, last season the Belmont was run the day after what would have been Game 7.

Also, Bill Clement is gone from NBC because Bill Clement wanted to be. He only runs a part-time schedule, and only goes on the road with the Flyers when Keith Jones has to be on VS. If Bill Clement wanted a spot, I bet he could knock on a door and get it considering he's still employed by the owners of he network.

McHugh does fine, he is just generic about it.

Last edited:

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
On NBC's golf coverage today it was called the Golf Channel on NBC. With the Golf Channel logo big and the NBC logo smaller. I wonder if at some point it will be Versus on NBC or whatever they rebrand it. Much like the four-letter network on ABC where there really is not an ABC Sports division any more.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
On NBC's golf coverage today it was called the Golf Channel on NBC. With the Golf Channel logo big and the NBC logo smaller. I wonder if at some point it will be Versus on NBC or whatever they rebrand it. Much like the four-letter network on ABC where there really is not an ABC Sports division any more.

No, because unlike the Golf Channel Versus (or what it will be renamed) is not already a strong established outside brand.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
On the renaming of Versus front, rumors now have the name CSNBC as the leader for a new name. Basically a merger of the names Comcast Sportsnet and NBC. Fits in with CNBC and MSNBC.

From Fang's Bites' twitter.
Heard this also. RT @TheDalyPlanet: Told @VERSUSTV will be rebranded almost immediately by NBC. CSNBC might be the leader in the clubhouse.
http://twitter.com/#!/fangsbites/status/47330390351941632

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
NBC had the Belmont in the past but the NYRA jumped ship and went back to ABC.

The Kentucky Derby, if it goes according to what I think will happen, will run under the lights starting next year.

The Cup Finals schedule would have to run late for the Belmont to be in play, but either way it wouldn't be run at a time where the Cup Finals would interfere with it. The race is usually around 6:30, with coverage wrapped up at 7, and would be a nice lead-in to the pre-game show. And that's only if the Cup Finals run late, last season the Belmont was run the day after what would have been Game 7.

Also, Bill Clement is gone from NBC because Bill Clement wanted to be. He only runs a part-time schedule, and only goes on the road with the Flyers when Keith Jones has to be on VS. If Bill Clement wanted a spot, I bet he could knock on a door and get it considering he's still employed by the owners of he network.

McHugh does fine, he is just generic about it.

They should just have Maguine and Milbury keep doing their thing. No need for a host.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Who is this John Boruk?

9398257_240X180.jpg

He's been a broadcast anchor on CSN-Philly for the past 4 or 5 years.

He will also destroy any man in a suit-wearing contest.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Versus is officially jumping in the NBC pool tomorrow by airing old Notre Dame games. They'll also show their spring game later this month.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2...now-doing-a-complete-show-for-the-night-owls/

Another new VERSUS wrinkle was shown off last night: for the first time since, I believe, the opening night of OLN’s coverage of the National Hockey League (when Jack Edwards was in Tampa Bay, as well as Bob Harwood in another city) they had a reporter located at a game VERSUS was not airing – in this case, Rangers/Islanders. John Boruk provided inside info from the Garden. This is a terrific idea, especially in such a jumbled Eastern Conference where every game can mean something. Hopefully, this is a chance for Bob Harwood to run out the string, as he mentioned when he’d been let go. Maybe instead of forcing chatter during six intermission reports of playoff games, we can get reporters doing live hits from games on off nights. It’d be cool for VERSUS to have a reporter at all eight Stanley Cup Playoff match-ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad