NBC Sports getting makeover

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Reaugh (Dallas) is one of the best color commentators in the business, Peckham (Tampa) is easy on the ears as well and having Engblom between the benches was a smart move. Peckham and Reaugh did the Versus coverage for the Kings/Canucks playoff series last season and they were terrific.

NHL Overtime is becoming my recap show of choice over NHL on the fly ever since NHLOTF cut out replays of some of the goals and started talking over the game audio of the replays.

So far, so good for the changes.

AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

They should hire some better commentators. Like Mr. Mike Lange - How he isn't doing play-by-play on a major network is beyond my understanding. Edit: I do agree that the crew for last night's games was an improvement.

MetalGodAOD*

I missed the broadcast last night, who was the announcing team Versus used?

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
Reaugh (Dallas) is one of the best color commentators in the business, Peckham (Tampa) is easy on the ears as well and having Engblom between the benches was a smart move. Peckham and Reaugh did the Versus coverage for the Kings/Canucks playoff series last season and they were terrific.

NHL Overtime is becoming my recap show of choice over NHL on the fly ever since NHLOTF cut out replays of some of the goals and started talking over the game audio of the replays.

So far, so good for the changes.

englomb knows the role between the benches. my biggest problem with mcguire is he is constantly talking and interrupting the other guys.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
englomb knows the role between the benches. my biggest problem with mcguire is he is constantly talking and interrupting the other guys.

If I remember correctly the first year of the bench stuff Pierre was more restrained in that role and was more a reporter down there than third man in the both. Then TSN started their "one-up, one-down" format with the regular color guy between the bench and he probably got used to doing that and ended up becoming more of a third man on NBC.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting move by Versus. They're in pretty tight with TSN so it's not terribly surprising. I like Gord. He reminds me a bit of Gary Thorne with his enthusiasm but unlike Thorne he pronounces the players names correctly.

Seaward*

Ugh... All of these great changes right when I dropped my cable subscription...

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Well this will be very interesting. I'm looking forward to more experiments like this.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
during the bruins-wings game on nbc, they're showing combo nbc/versus ads for next week, promoing HDIA on NBC and the HC on Vs.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
during the bruins-wings game on nbc, they're showing combo nbc/versus ads for next week, promoing HDIA on NBC and the HC on Vs.

Should be a great Sunday next week for hockey.

Hockey on NBC from noon to 6pm followed by the Heritage Classic at 6pm.

Hopefully NBC keeps this up, they could really attract new fans by doing more coverage.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Should be a great Sunday next week for hockey.

Hockey on NBC from noon to 6pm followed by the Heritage Classic at 6pm.

Hopefully NBC keeps this up, they could really attract new fans by doing more coverage.

problem is that most of those fans who see these ads think "wtf is versus", and then they look in their guide to see that they dont have it.

hopefully this helps VS subscriptions though.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Per PucktheMedia, Versus is sending a crew to Calgary for the Heritage classic. Was going to be a CBC simulcast, but after the merger it was decided to send a crew and produce their own telecast.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Taken from Puck The Media website:

Here are the broadcast teams for Hockey Day in America:
Not sure yet if there will be a third man "in the glass" for the regional games.

12:35 PM ET, Washington vs. Buffalo – Jim Jackson and Ray Ferraro
12:40 PM ET, Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers – Ken Daniels and Joe Micheletti
12:45 PM ET, Detroit vs. Minnesota – Pat Foley and Darren Pang
3:30 PM ET, Pittsburgh vs. Chicago – Mike Emrick, Ed Olczyk and Pierre McGuire
6:00 PM ET, Montreal vs. Calgary (VERSUS) – Dave Strader, Andy Brickley and Brian Engblom

The entire country – after a half-hour pre-game show from Millenium Park in Chicago – will be brought to the Washington Capitals-Buffalo Sabres game, which has a face-off time of 12:35 PM ET. Then, at 12:40 PM ET, some viewers will be sent off to Madison Square Garden to see the Philadelphia Flyers take on the New York Rangers. Finally, at 12:45 PM ET/11:45 AM CT, much of the country will be taken out to St. Paul to see the Minnesota Wild host the Detroit Red Wings. The entire country will see a match-up of the last two Stanley Cup Champions, Pittsburgh and Chicago at 3:30 PM ET/2:30 PM CT.

Rangers and Flyers will be seen in 54% of the country - Minnesota/Detroit tilt will be seen in 40% of the country - the other 6% of the country will see the Sabres and Capitals. We’ll hope to have regional maps guiding you to which game you’ll see in your market closer to the weekend.

LS....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad