NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Everybody in NZ is a settler, even the Maori people haven't been here that long and why would anybody take your opinion seriously? You just asked why we should care if millions of people had their fundamental human rights removed

That's psychopathic

what rights have been removed

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
:laugh: Yeah, the problem is those horrible people who point out the hypocrisy of this league and most of its players as they lecture us on "social justice" whist simultaneously profiting off the abject misery of others

The league sucks, the players suck and I'd rather listen to the Chinese government give a lecture on human rights than listen to this hypocritical clown show
so you think that because the league profits off china, black NBA players should not speak out against problems such as systemic racism and police brutality, that they and millions of other black americans have faced for decades?

Sep 19, 2008
so you think that because the league profits off china, black NBA players should not speak out against problems such as systemic racism and police brutality, that they and millions of other black americans have faced for decades?
they can but being "aware" while also ignoring human rights violations in china is blatant hypocrisy

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think people who willingly take money from countries that adore human rights abuses, have actual reeducation camps, then profit off slave labor have literally zero moral legitimacy to lecture anybody about anything

Reactions: McRpro

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
because BLM has no business letting their movement be hijacked by a bunch of neocons who want war with China. it has nothing to do with them

No BLM have private and public property to destroy, fires to light and people to attack, hard to hijack riots

Who said they wanted war with China again?

Now, I'd love you to explain how somebody or somebody's lecturing the "plebs" about social justice whilst simultaneously taking money from and sucking up to people involved in gross human rights violations and slave labor isn't hypocritical

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
No BLM have private and public property to destroy, fires to light and people to attack, hard to hijack riots

Who said they wanted war with China again?

Now, I'd love you to explain how somebody or somebody's lecturing the "plebs" about social justice whilst simultaneously taking money from and sucking up to people involved in gross human rights violations and slave labor isn't hypocritical

the NBA should fold then because you just described the US to a tee

Reactions: Terry Yake

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why do people not understand the China/NBA issue. It's not that players are outspoken about BLM, if the league wants to be political, then the players should be able to speak about whatever issue they want. The problem was the leagues response and some of the more outspoken individual's response to Morey and his stance on China.

At least Kerr came out and said he'd handle the situation differently.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Why do people not understand the China/NBA issue. It's not that players are outspoken about BLM, if the league wants to be political, then the players should be able to speak about whatever issue they want. The problem was the leagues response and some of the more outspoken individual's response to Morey and his stance on China.

At least Kerr came out and said he'd handle the situation differently.
no one's saying that NBA players shouldn't be able to speak out about china

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
no one's saying that NBA players shouldn't be able to speak out about china
People in the league have come pretty darn close to it. One poster here is pretty darn close to it too.

No one is saying they shouldn't support BLM or speak out on those issues.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
People in the league have come pretty darn close to it. One poster here is pretty darn close to it too.

No one is saying they shouldn't support BLM or speak out on those issues.
lebron and harden are the only players i know of who spoke out against what morey said

no NBA player, coach, or official has come out and said "we don't want players speaking out against china."

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
lebron and harden are the only players i know of who spoke out against what morey said

no NBA player, coach, or official has come out and said "we don't want players speaking out against china."
And the NBA not allowing FreeHongKong on jerseys means nothing? They got caught, called it a glitch, and decided to just remov customization. It's clear that they have tried to keep that fine line between being outspoken politically and not pissing China off. China market is big for NBA, and they don't want to rock that boat.

Imagine the response that you guys would have if the NBA and others responded in the same way if someone tweet support of BLM and then more or less forced them to delete the tweet and then had a bunch of actions to limit support of BLM.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
And the NBA not allowing FreeHongKong on jerseys means nothing? They got caught, called it a glitch, and decided to just remov customization. It's clear that they have tried to keep that fine line between being outspoken politically and not pissing China off. China market is big for NBA, and they don't want to rock that boat.

Imagine the response that you guys would have if the NBA and others responded in the same way if someone tweet support of BLM and then more or less forced them to delete the tweet and then had a bunch of actions to limit support of BLM.
did the league tell its players they can't wear messages of support for china on their jerseys?

who in the NBA tweeted something in support of HK and was forced to delete it?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
did the league tell its players they can't wear messages of support for china on their jerseys?

who in the NBA tweeted something in support of HK and was forced to delete it?
How would any of us know that, we can just judge by what they do publicly, and it's been to distance themselves from China controversies and to make sure that they don't say anything negative towards them that would damage the business relationship.

Morey deleted that tweet that kicked the whole China thing off. Probably Fertitta made him do that.

Last edited:

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

you're talking about a league that made a big fuss over Allen Iverson having cornrows. a league whose majority of players are Black yet majority of owners are White. a league where the majority of coaches/management are White. but here we are still going on about f***ing HK as if it's all the same

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
you're talking about a league that made a big fuss over Allen Iverson having cornrows. a league whose majority of players are Black yet majority of owners are White. a league where the majority of coaches/management are White. but here we are still going on about f***ing HK as if it's all the same
What does any of that have to do with BLM or FHK as political statements?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
What does any of that have to do with BLM or FHK as political statements?

it has to do with the fact that the players support BLM and have no business being dragged into some horseshit movement because one GM tweeted about it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
it has to do with the fact that the players support BLM and have no business being dragged into some horseshit movement because one GM tweeted about it
I get that your take is West bad and East good, but no one is saying that the players have to support, just that they and the league shouldn't be hypocrites about it.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I get that your take is West bad and East good, but no one is saying that the players have to support, just that they and the league shouldn't be hypocrites about it.

so you want a league where a majority of its players are Black to *not be hypocrites* about a racist 'movement' that has the backing of people like Tom Cotton (you know, the guy who recently opined that protesters should be killed)? k. got it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
so you want a league where a majority of its players are Black to *not be hypocrites* about a racist 'movement' that has the backing of people like Tom Cotton (you know, the guy who recently opined that protesters should be killed)? k. got it
I don't agree with Cotton's position, and that's a mischaracterization of it, and we now judge movements based on 1 individual that supports it? If I find some absurd BLM supporter, would that invalidate it? Of course it wouldn't.

With that Cotton thing aside, the NBA should not be hypocrites in their response to political statements. In regards to Morey they absolutely were. You've made it very clear that you disagree with Morey, and it seems your base position is West bad, East good.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I don't agree with Cotton's position, and that's a characterization of it, and we know judge movements based on 1 individual that supports it? If I find some absurd BLM supporter, would that invalidate it? Of course it wouldn't.

With that Cotton thing aside, the NBA should not be hypocrites in their response to political statements. In regards to Morey they absolutely were. You've made it very clear that you disagree with Morey, and it seems your base position is West bad, East good.

that's a characterization of it? really now. 'no quarter' is pretty f***ing specific. find me that one BLM supporter that is in Congress and has posed with activists

yeah, i disagree with Morey because he doesn't know what he's talking about - nothing to do with the West being bad and the East being good. but really, Morey picked a bad time to put up that tweet. should've simply waited for everyone to be back in the US before doing that

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
that's a characterization of it? really now. 'no quarter' is pretty f***ing specific. find me that one BLM supporter that is in Congress and has posed with activists

yeah, i disagree with Morey because he doesn't know what he's talking about - nothing to do with the West being bad and the East being good. but really, Morey picked a bad time to put up that tweet. should've simply waited for everyone to be back in the US before doing that
I'm not getting into Cotton's stance because it doesn't have relevance to this discussion. I don't really see the point.

You counter slave labor in China with I assume prison labor in the States, that's the only thing that could be argued being slave labor here. While I disagree with both, there is a clear distinction between the 2 and one is much worse. You try to pin the Hong Kong movement on something that you deem wrong, when anyone that knows anything about that region knows that this was inevitable with the whole 1 country 2 systems setup and the 50 year timeline they had. I get it West bad, and East good, but you make some weird arguments. Taking your same arguments with China, you would support the interment camps the US had with Japanese, Germans, and Italians during WW2.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I'm not getting into Cotton's stance because it doesn't have relevance to this discussion. I don't really see the point.

You counter slave labor in China with I assume prison labor in the States, that's the only thing that could be argued being slave labor here. While I disagree with both, there is a clear distinction between the 2 and one is much worse. You try to pin the Hong Kong movement on something that you deem wrong, when anyone that knows anything about that region knows that this was inevitable with the whole 1 country 2 systems setup and the 50 year timeline they had. I get it West bad, and East good, but you make some weird arguments. Taking your same arguments with China, you would support the interment camps the US had with Japanese, Germans, and Italians during WW2.

you don't want to get into Cotton's stance because it would expose the hypocrisy of the FHK 'movement': they're freedom fighters while BLM are terrorists

you're comparing China with how they're fighting terrorism to how the US put people in internment camps for simply being from a different country? talk about weird arguments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad