NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

Sep 19, 2008
The NBA could help their ratings issue by putting in more parity, but hey, the league has experimented with relevance for years trying to make things like the NBA ASG (still a travesty) and the NBA season interesting. It was only a few months ago that they explored a mid-season tournament " just for fun". To be fair, the NBA is not the only one exploring such wacky ideas.

I don't mind the social justice as long as it's not hypocritical. It seems to be too selective. Like, do what you want but don't criticize our business partners even if they engage in dubious practices.

Reactions: Voight

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
A somewhat empty gesture for the cause, not that I have high expectations for athletes to make political gestures, and an empty cause relatively speaking to the issues that some black people face that places them in positions where being killed by a cop are much higher in comparison to other demographics i.e. more prone to commit crime.

Would have a ton more respect for them using their status as public figures and/or wealth to influence on the ground change in communities that need support. If you are going to claim "systemic racism" exists then you should be willing to do whatever is needed to institute "systemic" change; putting something on your jersey doesn't accomplish this.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Get woke go Broke

The NBA has a piracy issue. When the next TV deal is up and one of the major streaming platforms picks up the rights, viewership levels will be back to normal. They haven't found a way to cater to cable-cutters yet.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Would have a ton more respect for them using their status as public figures and/or wealth to influence on the ground change in communities that need support. If you are going to claim "systemic racism" exists then you should be willing to do whatever is needed to institute "systemic" change; putting something on your jersey doesn't accomplish this.

Tons of NBA players do this all the time.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Great, let's talk about that rather than giving something that is being hugely politicized a hugely disproportionate amount of attention.

People do talk about it and you're obviously more than welcome to talk about it. I see plenty of media coverage and conversation re: NBA players' ongoing activism and support in their communities. Not sure how you haven't noticed.

Do you truly not see that this social justice messaging is simply a small piece of the puzzle?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I saw this blurb on TSN:

Players feel as if they're "dancing to entertain everybody" when they could be at home protesting or comforting their families

Interesting perspective when you are in the entertainment business.

You know that was Kyrie's point from day one...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I saw this blurb on TSN:

Players feel as if they're "dancing to entertain everybody" when they could be at home protesting or comforting their families

Then opt out and go home, and I do mean that with all sincerity, do what Rask did. There is no denying that the bubble was going to have an emotional toll on families, especially one with kids, and young kids for many of the players. It's not something that they really signed up for. And then you throw in everything else going on.

It is a bit silly to act like they are dancing to entertain everybody. You are getting paid millions to play a game, you are an entertainer, this isn't new. If you don't want to dance to entertain people, then quit, no one is forcing you to do it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Then opt out and go home, and I do mean that with all sincerity, do what Rask did. There is no denying that the bubble was going to have an emotional toll on families, especially one with kids, and young kids for many of the players. It's not something that they really signed up for. And then you throw in everything else going on.

It is a bit silly to act like they are dancing to entertain everybody. You are getting paid millions to play a game, you are an entertainer, this isn't new. If you don't want to dance to entertain people, then quit, no one is forcing you to do it.

Weren't the NBA players allowed to bring their families into the bubble?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I saw this blurb on TSN:

Jesus, good luck to the owners on the next CBA.

I've never seen such disconnect between owners and players lmao.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I saw this blurb on TSN:

I read this not as they're unaware that their job has always been "dancing to entertain everybody," but instead that it doesn't feel great to be doing that during the double-whammy that is the global pandemic and the racial justice movement.

Reactions: Holocene

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Is this the real issue though?
I mean, yes? Obviously. Been the problem for a while

Undertrained, underqualified, low barrier to entry, disproportionately attracts those who seek power, no meaningful discipline/action taken for those that abuse it, allowed to investigate themselves, the good cops are silenced and blackballed for speaking out which effectively results in all cops being bad.

Tear the whole institution down and start anew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad