NBA NBA Allows Players to Change Jersey Name to Message of Social Justice

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
haven't seen any reports of businesses in the WA state autonomous zones permanently closing. this thread on the seattle subreddit offers some insight into the situation there as of a month ago. surprisingly, the autonomous zones were not the dystopian warzones fox news depicted them as

aside from the louisville restaurant, i haven't seen any reports of BLM sending "demands" to businesses. so claiming we're "seeing extortion attempts all over" might be a bit much

There was a BLM activist arrested for extortion in Madison, WI. There have been demands sent all over, some to government, some to communities and businesses. As for CHAZ/CHOP, it wasn't some kumbaya loving hippy party. How many shootings, deaths, and acts of violence were there. Lots of reports of theft among the people inside there, and they were told to think of it as an unplanned donation. RAZ and his security goons ran amok.

Research has shown that non-violent protests are more effective at enacting change than violent protests and riots. BLM groups around the country have said that if their demands are not met, they will burn it down. That means continuing to destroy property and to figuratively burn down the system. This is why BLM loses support after they gain. People agree that change needs to happen, but they don't support rioting and destruction. This is why they need to be more organized at the top with an actual leader. They can't even decide what defund means, some say it means decrease or re-allocate and some go as far to say abolish.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-leader-if-change-doesnt-happen-we-will-burn-down-this-system/
Why nonviolent resistance beats violent force in effecting social, political change
The Problem with Protesting Violence with Violence

Reactions: Voight

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
1st Amendment, you have the right to peaceably assemble. If they are not peaceful, they are against the law. Do you want the definition of a riot too?

what you're describing is civil disobedience - which is a form of protesting

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And to try and steer this back from going completely off the rails. The whole point is people should be allowed to support what they want to support and not support what they don't want to support. A white journalist also shouldn't need an explanation from Jonathan Isaac for not kneeling or wearing a BLM shirt.

It's wrong for people like Laura Ingram to say that basketball players should shut up and dribble, and it's wrong for the NBA and some of the players to basically do the same to Morey.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
oh, let's not focus on all the dumb shit cops/government have been doing that led to this reaction

you'd most likely be supporting these protests if they were, let's say, happening in China. Or Iran. Or Russia
We can do both. There has been plenty examples of law enforcement not handling things correctly. That man in Buffalo, people have been blinded with rubber bullets, the whole thing that kicked this off, etc.

Any human rights violation should be protested. That doesn't mean the protests should be burning down businesses and looting, doesn't mean they should be getting violent with individuals, or shooting people. Hell, I was even ok with them wanting to burn down a police station because that act of violence at least makes sense on some level. At least go after the people that you believe have committed the wrongs. But lets not pretend that there haven't been riots and things haven't gotten violent.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
We can do both. There has been plenty examples of law enforcement not handling things correctly. That man in Buffalo, people have been blinded with rubber bullets, the whole thing that kicked this off, etc.

Any human rights violation should be protested. That doesn't mean the protests should be burning down businesses and looting, doesn't mean they should be getting violent with individuals, or shooting people. Hell, I was even ok with them wanting to burn down a police station because that act of violence at least makes sense on some level. At least go after the people that you believe have committed the wrongs. But lets not pretend that there haven't been riots and things haven't gotten violent.

no, we can't bothsides this thing

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
There was a BLM activist arrested for extortion in Madison, WI. There have been demands sent all over, some to government, some to communities and businesses. As for CHAZ/CHOP, it wasn't some kumbaya loving hippy party. How many shootings, deaths, and acts of violence were there. Lots of reports of theft among the people inside there, and they were told to think of it as an unplanned donation. RAZ and his security goons ran amok.

Research has shown that non-violent protests are more effective at enacting change than violent protests and riots. BLM groups around the country have said that if their demands are not met, they will burn it down. That means continuing to destroy property and to figuratively burn down the system. This is why BLM loses support after they gain. People agree that change needs to happen, but they don't support rioting and destruction. This is why they need to be more organized at the top with an actual leader. They can't even decide what defund means, some say it means decrease or re-allocate and some go as far to say abolish.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-leader-if-change-doesnt-happen-we-will-burn-down-this-system/
Why nonviolent resistance beats violent force in effecting social, political change
The Problem with Protesting Violence with Violence
yeah, the incident in WI involved a guy who demanded a business venmo him money or else he'd smash their windows. that's not "BLM sending demands to businesses and then destroying them." more like, a batshit crazy guy doing batshit crazy things. i'm pretty sure i read he was arrested a day later for something else so there you go. still waiting on the other examples of the "countless businesses" you described

there were incidents of violence of course, but still, nothing like the war zone RW media was trying to make it seem like. it was basically one big block party from what i read. you do realize there were tons of peaceful protests right? right here where i live, there were a handful of peaceful protests a couple months back with zero instances of violence/looting. there were far more peaceful protests than ones that resulted in violence and looting

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
yeah, the incident in WI involved a guy who demanded a business venmo him money or else he'd smash their windows. that's not "BLM sending demands to businesses and then destroying them." more like, a batshit crazy guy doing batshit crazy things. i'm pretty sure i read he was arrested a day later for something else so there you go. still waiting on the other examples of the "countless businesses" you described

there were incidents of violence of course, but still, nothing like the war zone RW media was trying to make it seem like. it was basically one big block party from what i read. you do realize there were tons of peaceful protests right? right here where i live, there were a handful of peaceful protests a couple months back with zero instances of violence/looting. there were far more peaceful protests than ones that resulted in violence and looting

Never said all protests were riots or that all protests were violent. People were killed in CHAZ/CHOP, so no it was not one big block party. Typically I wouldn't want shootings in my block party.

Saying not all protests are violent is like saying not all cops are bad. We should call out violent protests/riots just as we should call out the bad cops.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Never said all protests were riots or that all protests were violent. People were killed in CHAZ/CHOP, so no it was not one big block party. Typically I wouldn't want shootings in my block party.

Saying not all protests are violent is like saying not all cops are bad. We should call out violent protests/riots just as we should call out the bad cops.
you see incidents of violence like that in every major city on a daily basis, the incidents that occurred in the autonomous zones over the timeframe it was in place were not crazy or on another level by any means

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
you see incidents of violence like that in every major city on a daily basis, the incidents that occurred in the autonomous zones over the timeframe it was in place were not crazy or on another level by any means
For the size area it took up and for how in theory the people there were ideology aligned, it absolutely was.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMG-1935.jpg

Reactions: Bakayoko Ono

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
All I know is that there are people in this thread that seem to have problems with black people standing up against the systemic racism in this country

:laugh: Yeah, the problem is those horrible people who point out the hypocrisy of this league and most of its players as they lecture us on "social justice" whist simultaneously profiting off the abject misery of others

The league sucks, the players suck and I'd rather listen to the Chinese government give a lecture on human rights than listen to this hypocritical clown show

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
New Zealand, and before you ask my **** of a government does business with the Chinese and also pretends to care about human rights abuses

They are also raging hypocrites

why would you bring up doing business with China when NZ is literally a settler colony

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
why would you bring up doing business with China when NZ is literally a settler colony

Everybody in NZ is a settler, even the Maori people haven't been here that long and why would anybody take your opinion seriously? You just asked why we should care if millions of people had their fundamental human rights removed

That's psychopathic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad