OT: NBA 2019-2020

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If that was the only fear, I'd still be pretty optimistic about him. He's got no explosiveness in the half court. He's unusually strong for a kid his age so he's able to bully his way to the rim against weaker opponents but he can't blow by anybody. His upside is severely capped as a result. Barring him turning into an elite shooter or some other unexpected development, he's probably going to max out as an above average starter. There's nothing wrong with that but its a little disappointing considering the caliber of players that have been picked 3rd in other drafts. This team desperately needs a savior and its very likely that RJ isn't going to be that.
Well, his shot wasn't even there in college - but he's pretty good at creating them. He has good ISO skills and can finesse his way to the rim. I think he has the shooting mechanics to improve. But I don't think it is outlandish to suggest he is comparable to Dion Waiters early in his career. Best case scenario is Derozan, who I guess was the savior for the Raptors?

I think there is hope for RJ, unlike Knox and Ntilikina IMO.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last year, I challenged the Knicks to lose fewer games in 82 than the Yankees did in 162.

The Yanks ran away with it 59-65.

This year, I'm challenging the Knicks to win more in 82 than the Liverpool do in 38.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Tom T would be a good hire. Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy part deux? Meh............

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So far they've looked like a functioning basketball team.
He's definitely worked his way up the ladder and earned this role as a coach. They look so much better under him in this small sample size, and it's been nice seeing more functional rotations and usage. We still suck and need some serious talent, but I'd really like to keep him around and see if he can help build the younger guys into a cohesive team.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So far they've looked like a functioning basketball team.

3 wins out of their last 4 after tonight's shellacking of the Hawks...not too shabby.

Thing about the Knicks is on paper they don't look terrible..they should be better than they are.

It's just when they are in games vs teams that have more than one great player, they fold up like a cheap tent. Tonight was perfect example. Hawks have Trey Young and he scores 40+ but that's all they got. Knicks are fine vs teams like that.

Oh and if Jeff Van Gundy wants to come back to coaching, I may be in the minority here but I'd welcome him back with open arms and would love it and think it would be great for the franchise which rarely has any positive things happen for it!!

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Anyone got this bad feeling that the Warriors are going to pull a Spurs when Robinson was out for that year and get the top pick?

exactly what i was thinking. They are taking for a top pick, and will the ready again next year or two.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Fizdale was a dreadful coach.

He was, but this team should not be jeopardizing a high pick in this draft for some wins at this point. Not getting a top 5 pick would be bad for the franchise. Might need lotto luck for it to happen, but they need another guy that can be developed into a superstar. Barrett is not going to be enough for this team moving forward.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He was, but this team should not be jeopardizing a high pick in this draft for some wins at this point. Not getting a top 5 pick would be bad for the franchise. Might need lotto luck for it to happen, but they need another guy that can be developed into a superstar. Barrett is not going to be enough for this team moving forward.

They’re still a terrible team, and are likely selling off pieces at the deadline. Morris should bring back another 1st. What they need is not only to add a top end PG with their lottery pick, but to add a Donovan Mitchell-type value with the 1st they get in dealing Morris. They also need Knox to properly develop.

Reactions: Bob Richards

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We know the Knicks aren't a good team, so any win is worthwhile. At least they are competitive in their games now.

Yeah this isn't a good team by any means, but it is quite amazing how bad of a coach Fizdale was. I had high hopes for him coming in, and was good with his hiring. But it became clear really quick he's not a good coach. This season was laughable.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah this isn't a good team by any means, but it is quite amazing how bad of a coach Fizdale was. I had high hopes for him coming in, and was good with his hiring. But it became clear really quick he's not a good coach. This season was laughable.

Oddly enough, they are finally getting what they thought they would get from Randle. He's be fantastic since the change. The Heat and Bucks games were the only ones where the team was just outclassed, and it makes sense.

Now, if they don't beat the Suns next game, it's probably a 4 game losing streak in the making. Both LA teams and Utah. Nobody should expect this .500 mark to continue, but even .400 basketball is an improvement.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Will douchebags like the coach in Miami, Popovich and Kerr apologize for their criticism of the Steve Mills firiting. Fizzdale was 4-18 or something. Miller has 1.5x as wins in 20 less games.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Oddly enough, they are finally getting what they thought they would get from Randle. He's be fantastic since the change.

For some inexplicable reason, they've tried make him an outside shooter first. He's averaging over 4 attempts from 3 per game this year, well above his career avg. He's not going to the basket now, so his FG% and FT attempts are down. It's strange. I thought it was just Fizdale, but it's somewhat continued. He's just shooting more often (and making more lately).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad