Speculation: Nazem Kadri

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Nah, I meant as a long term reputation for the player; and also to some extent the reputation of the host organization (see how people view the Bruins today).

Lucic left the Bruins in 2015, so I'm not sure what you think he still has to do with the Bruins reputation today. And with Marchand on the team, I also struggle to see how Lucic's behavior from 6+ years ago even moves the needle on the Bruins' current reputation.

I also think that most teams would still love to have someone like prime Lucic on their roster, since he was a big tough bastard who could chip in 20+ goals and 50+ points per season, while being a physical presence on the ice. The fact that he crossed the line a few times is part of his effectiveness in his role, because that aura of toughness, with the willingness to back it up, was what made him special.

Kadri, on the other hand, is a 2C who is solid, but frequently hurts his own team by doing something stupid in the playoffs. Not really the same category as Lucic, from my point of view.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why would we trade him?

The Avs probably aren't happy with him in that he keeps repeating his mistakes, and getting himself banned at the times his team needs him the most.

Having said that, trading kadri without getting a 2C back leaves a void that they currently can't fill.

I think the avs keep him and ride out his contract for one more year.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
You know who would be a great teammate for Kadri?

Brad Marchand.

He is another player that plays on the edge with passion, but has learned how far is too far and when to step away before doing something stupid... well... sometimes involving Bergeron telling him to shut up and sit down... but still.

Honestly, I also think he would mesh well on a line with Hall.

Oh god, he is going to be a Bruin in 2022-2023 isn't he.

It would be worth it just to see the reaction of the TML base when Kadri checks their players.

The Wayner

Feb 12, 2009
Mrs. Sauga
The Avs probably aren't happy with him in that he keeps repeating his mistakes, and getting himself banned at the times his team needs him the most.

Having said that, trading kadri without getting a 2C back leaves a void that they currently can't fill.

I think the avs keep him and ride out his contract for one more year.

Technically he has only done that once for the AVS, his mistakes with Toronto never affected the AVS. I think they are more than happy with him as their 2C and propose a fool me once mindset going forward. It happens twice and he's gone/bought out/takes a trip to Robidas Island.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Technically he has only done that once for the AVS, his mistakes with Toronto never affected the AVS. I think they are more than happy with him as their 2C and propose a fool me once mindset going forward. It happens twice and he's gone/bought out/takes a trip to Robidas Island.

It becomes a trust issue. Can the Avs management trust that one of their key players can keep his head on straight especially when it counts?

I get that when the Avs got him, there would have been a clean slate mentality with both parties. The expectation would have been to learn from past mistakes and not to repeat bonehead incidents that hurt the team especially in the playoffs, but he has failed to live up to that.

So I think his history with the leafs is very relevant.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It becomes a trust issue. Can the Avs management trust that one of their key players can keep his head on straight especially when it counts?

I get that when the Avs got him, there would have been a clean slate mentality with both parties. The expectation would have been to learn from past mistakes and not to repeat bonehead incidents that hurt the team especially in the playoffs, but he has failed to live up to that.

So I think his history with the leafs is very relevant.

The two incidents in Toronto were both because he tried to retaliate (aka hurt someone) for a hit one of his teammates received.

This year, he tried to come across on a trailing defenseman and take the body, but mistimed the hit and caught Faulk's jaw instead of putting a shoulder in his chest. Which part of this play was like the Toronto incidents, exactly? To me, this was an inch or two away from being a good hit, while the Toronto incidents were both nowhere even close to being good hits. The only part that's relevant is that he's a "repeat offender", which caused the suspension to be 8 games. Almost makes me wish he had lost his temper and tackled someone to the ice and punched them in the head, because that's apparently only worth a 2 game suspension (at least for Reaves).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The two incidents in Toronto were both because he tried to retaliate (aka hurt someone) for a hit one of his teammates received.

This year, he tried to come across on a trailing defenseman and take the body, but mistimed the hit and caught Faulk's jaw instead of putting a shoulder in his chest. Which part of this play was like the Toronto incidents, exactly? To me, this was an inch or two away from being a good hit, while the Toronto incidents were both nowhere even close to being good hits. The only part that's relevant is that he's a "repeat offender", which caused the suspension to be 8 games. Almost makes me wish he had lost his temper and tackled someone to the ice and punched them in the head, because that's apparently only worth a 2 game suspension (at least for Reaves).

He's had other suspensions in the regular season before as well. I highlighted the playoffs because of the bigger stage, but there are others, and that's why he likely won't get any breaks on future incidents.

It doesn't really matter to me what his thought process is or what the circumstances are. He has trouble staying on the right side of the line, and sometimes it has happened at the worst times of the year for his respective clubs.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He's had other suspensions in the regular season before as well. I highlighted the playoffs because of the bigger stage, but there are others, and that's why he likely won't get any breaks on future incidents.

It doesn't really matter to me what his thought process is or what the circumstances are. He has trouble staying on the right side of the line, and sometimes it has happened at the worst times of the year for his respective clubs.

You're right that he probably won't get the benefit of the doubt from the league, but I don't see what that has to do with the Avs trusting him now. He hasn't had a regular season suspension since 2016, and went more than 18 months with the Avs without an issue, with his only offense this year being mistiming a hit while trying to make a good defensive play. The 8 game suspension is more of a reason to distrust the DPS than it is to distrust Kadri.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It wouldn't surprise me if Sakic's plan is to wait until the season starts to give Newhook some games at 2C before deciding whether or not to trade Kadri. If Newhook has a great start then Kadri would be much more tradeable so the Avs could move him to acquire a younger 2nd line forward.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I'm Sakic, I go after Dvorak and trade Kadri.

It will take a lot to get Dvorak out of Zona but they have the assets to do so and he's locked up LT.

Kadri will be appealing to a team who needs a Middle 6 C with a good cap hit and one year remaining.
Habs. We need a few year filler for 2C or 3C.

Plus he is or was a huge Habs fan.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kadri will play out his contract as a member of the Avs and leave as a UFA next offseason. The end.

AVs are more likely to extend Kadri for 3-4 years than trade. 2C/3C and Goalie are huge depth problems.

Newhook and significant drop to Jost. Draft should have selected a Centre and instead picked another Winger/DMan. Without a 1st + 2nd round pick next draft, Kadri stays.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
AVs are more likely to extend Kadri for 3-4 years than trade. 2C/3C and Goalie are huge depth problems.

Newhook and significant drop to Jost. Draft should have selected a Centre and instead picked another Winger/DMan. Without a 1st + 2nd round pick next draft, Kadri stays.
If kadri will accept pay for what he is… a 3C, I could see if.

If the Avs pay Kadri 2C money, which they don’t have, we’re over-paying for a low end 2C. Newhook at 2C and Jost at 4C is sufficient.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

If the Avs pay Kadri 2C money, which they don’t have, we’re over-paying for a low end 2C. Newhook at 2C and Jost at 4C is sufficient.
The amount of disrespect Avs fans show Kadri is bizarre.

Calling him a 3C is ridiculous.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The amount of disrespect Avs fans show Kadri is bizarre.

Calling him a 3C is ridiculous.

I think it's unfair but isn't to ridiculous as he was an average to low end 2c last year.

He was 49th in points amongst centres, now let's say 4 of those guys played wing he was 45th making him average but if you count guys who can play both like Necas and RNH he is 49th making him the 18th best 2C in the league.

Which makes him a 2C but you could argue if you really want to contend you need a better one.

Reactions: McJedi

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Avs are going to have $30m+ in capspace next offseason so they can be big players in UFA for a 2C or top 6 forward if Sakic wants to go that route.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I think it's unfair but isn't to ridiculous as he was an average to low end 2c last year.

He was 49th in points amongst centres, now let's say 4 of those guys played wing he was 45th making him average but if you count guys who can play both like Necas and RNH he is 49th making him the 18th best 2C in the league.

Which makes him a 2C but you could argue if you really want to contend you need a better one.
It was one down year...the recency bias is out of control. Not to mention he put up better numbers across the board than the #2c of the back-to-back cup champs. I think the Avs will be just fine as contenders with Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad