Confirmed with Link: Nazem Kadri signs with the Flames (7 years, $7M AAV)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I’m fairly confident that we are all aware that this contract will age poorly.
Of course, and by the time Kadri is showing his mid 30s decline, the entire team will have turned over. Who knows what the landscape will be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dare I say that we are a better looking team rn than we were with Gaudreau & Tkachuk?
We are absolutely a better team. We essentially swapped Johnny for Jonathan. Tkachuk for a 1B Centre. And we added a top pairing dman in Weegar.

Go back and watch this team in the playoffs. We had struggled mightily shutting down the other teams best players. Our D was an utter mess against the Oilers and our forwards couldn’t keep up either. This team is much more balanced to win today than it was was the season ended.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m fairly confident that we are all aware that this contract will age poorly.
The problem is not only that, but the flames also paid a first to sign this contract. It’s just more short term patches for long term pain.

7 x 7 to a typical 2nd line center with an outlier season on a contract year. Bonus: He's late 31!

I give it half a year until people say things like "hindsight is 20/20".
Seriously look at his production in the previous half decade before this season, it’s not all that much better than backlund’s. Unless Kadri is putting up 60+ pts for the first few seasons of this contract (which before this season he hasn’t done since 2017), this is terrible already.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
After 4 years the buyout on this contract would be
2.2222 x 6.

By 2026 with cap increases that's basically nothing. If you get 3 good years out of this contract it's worth it IMO.
buyouts are worst case scenario. Ideallly Kadri and Huberdeau ride out their deals even if we are a bad team, and we rebuild with their expiring contracts as the beginning of the next core cycle

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Dack

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We are absolutely a better team. We essentially swapped Johnny for Jonathan. Tkachuk for a 1B Centre. And we added a top pairing dman in Weegar.

Go back and watch this team in the playoffs. We had struggled mightily shutting down the other teams best players. Our D was an utter mess against the Oilers and our forwards couldn’t keep up either. This team is much more balanced to win today than it was was the season ended.
This team will be so hard to play against and scoring goals will be an absolute grind. Lindholm - Kadri - Backlund down the middle is incredibly difficult to match up against. Throw in two pairs that are some combo of Weegar/Tanev/Andersson/Hanafin, Markstrom in net, and a Sutter system? That shit gets me excited

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
…Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf, and Zary all project to give us great contributions when they make the jump, and half/two-thirds our D group is 25ish and improving with Valimaki/Mackey/Poirier/Kusnetsov still on the rise. If anything, it’s the stockpile of prospects waiting in the wings that probably has made management more willing to sign big contracts and move 1sts.
Waaay overselling the prospects but I still agree with the deal.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
If being a legit contender in the West is your aim...you're there. I think its a good move at taking a shot at it. Yes, down the line you may have some WTH were we thinking moments but that is the chance you take. GMBT has made the Flames beyond interesting.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Waaay overselling the prospects but I still agree with the deal.
Pelletier and Coronato will be NHLers, it just the quality that is in question but both seemingly have the floors of offensively productive middle 6ers. Zary has question marks for sure. Wolf was already the best goalie in the AHL his first season, of course we have no clue how good he will be in the NHL but he would already be a backup without Vladar blocking the way. Valimaki and Mackey are already NHL ready and have proven it on multiple occasions, they are also just being blocked by depth. The other two defenders very much could not even be AHL quality defenders but they both have great toolboxes.

I didn’t say we have a bunch of studs coming up, but I did suggest that we probably are ok signing large contracts and trading 1sts because realistically we have two forwards, two defenseman, and a goalie all ready for playing time in the NHL currently or in a year on entry level/cheap deals.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And if we win the Cup, will you feel differently?
Yes, if we win a cup all sins are absolved.

I’ve been told since 2015-16 it’s time to go all in. We’ve made it past the first round once in that time, let’s see if it’s different this time

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This team will be so hard to play against and scoring goals will be an absolute grind. Lindholm - Kadri - Backlund down the middle is incredibly difficult to match up against. Throw in two pairs that are some combo of Weegar/Tanev/Andersson/Hanafin, Markstrom in net, and a Sutter system? That shit gets me excited
100%. This roster, playing Sutter hockey is going to pain for the West. The only teams that concern me are Colorado and Edmonton. But I like how we match against those teams today, better than we did 6 weeks ago.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
The problem is not only that, but the flames also paid a first to sign this contract. It’s just more short term patches for long term pain.

Seriously look at his production in the previous half decade before this season, it’s not all that much better than backlund’s. Unless Kadri is putting up 60+ pts for the first few seasons of this contract (which before this season he hasn’t done since 2017), this is terrible already.
Honestly another Backlund on the Flames is not a bad thing. He was their best skater against Edmonton and they probably would have won a few more rounds if they had another Backlund instead of Monahan since 2015.

Also Kadri 100% has that dawg in him, which you can't say about most Flames roster players over the Gaudreau era

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
At least the conditions around that first round pick should pretty much prevent the Flames from trading another first round pick between 2024 and 2026.

The long term pain is called a rebuild and yeah, that's gonna happen.

Just have to go fully all-in and solidify the top six with another scoring forward. Whether that's trade or promotion from within (Pelletier, Phillips) is to be determined.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dare I say that we are a better looking team rn than we were with Gaudreau & Tkachuk?
I agree. Huberdeau and Weegar are definitely better looking than Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Kadri isn't much to look at without the beard but with it.. a different story.
However we did lose a lot of handsomeness when Monahan left.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I agree. Huberdeau and Weegar are definitely better looking than Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Kadri isn't much to look at without the beard but with it.. a different story.
However we did lose a lot of handsomeness when Monahan left.
We lost a lot of handsomeness losing Gubby too. But we still have Lindy and Shilly to pick up the slack

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I definitely think Kadri deserved more than his last contract gave him so good for him. That said this move makes me really nervous. Naz had a career year last year. He has a suspension record. I dunno. I don't know if I've ever been more on the fence about a signing. I think he's a better 2C than Backlund, but that's not saying much. Wish it were possible to get what Kadri brings on a contract from say 2 years ago in that 5 to 6 per over 5 years. I think Naz takes care of his body well, but I think there's a lot of risk with this. Anyway, as usual hope I'm wrong with my dash of pessimism.

I hope this all works out!

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Definitely not a better team than last year but probably not a worst team either.

i don't see this team having any more chance at winning a Cup than we did last year or had we kept Gaudreau and Tkachuk. We are still way behind the Avs, behind the Blues in terms of quality. Right in a mix with Edmonton and LV where I could see any of the 3 winning the division in the regular season and getting out of the division to lose to the Central champs in the WCF.

Of course when people say if we win the Cup who cares, but the chances are so small and rely on so much luck for me throwing away the future wasn't really worth it, but as I have said I don't think we had a choice because the owners value money over winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad