Confirmed with Link: Nazem Kadri signs with the Flames (7 years, $7M AAV)

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Neutral fan here. I wasn’t a fan of treliving. Thought he was on the cusp of being fired, but this summer he reminds me of Neo in the matrix dodging those bullets! It’s not easy being a GM of an NHL team. And Treliving did an outstanding job. I always thought kadri would be a perfect fit for you guys. I’m not a fan of the contracts to hubs and kadri, but I think you have a chance to make a deep run in the next few years. I’m getting LA Kings Sutter vibes…enjoy your new additions, should be a fun year to watch flames hockey

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Neutral fan here. I wasn’t a fan of treliving. Thought he was on the cusp of being fired, but this summer he reminds me of Neo in the matrix dodging those bullets! It’s not easy being a GM of an NHL team. And Treliving did an outstanding job. I always thought kadri would be a perfect fit for you guys. I’m not a fan of the contracts to hubs and kadri, but I think you have a chance to make a deep run in the next few years. I’m getting LA Kings Sutter vibes…enjoy your new additions, should be a fun year to watch flames hoxkey
Everything he did once Tkachuk decided to not extend is reacting and trying to save his job. However in the age of trying to make your team younger he did manage to buck the trend and make the team older...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Everything he did once Tkachuk decided to not extend is reacting and trying to save his job. However in the age of trying to make your team younger he did manage to buck the trend and make the team older...
I don't think Treliving's job was in jeopardy. Others may disagree but what happened with Gaudreau and Tkachuk IMO wasn't Treliving's fault. Gaudreau blindsided Treliving and Tkachuk followed the Tkachuk tradition of me first, team and teammate loyalty second or maybe third.... who knows.

In a way, maybe what happened is a good thing. In the last 4 years with Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the lineup the team just hasn't been able to get the job done in both the regular season some times and definitely in the playoffs. A change was needed... a big change... not just shuffling the deck chairs (been there done that). Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving forced the team to make that change and the fans to accept it. Nobody here would have said... "we need to make a change... lets trade Gaudreau and Tkachuk".
I look forward to this season with renewed optimism... instead of pessimism as a result of getting knocked out to the playoffs in the 2nd round once again.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
"In the age of..." Getting younger has been fetishized in every era of hockey. I remember Doug Wilson throwing up his hands in the early-mid 00s saying his plan was to get younger because the Senators at the time were a young team that won the presidents trophy and were dominating in 2005. Of course, the Senator's captain and arguably best player at that time was 32, and their top defenceman was 28. They had made a reactive trade: Dany Heatly asked out of Atlanta, so they shipped Hossa off for him.

All GMs can do is react. Either that or you have a 20 year plan like Ron Hextal, and get fired in year 7 of 20 for doing f*** all.

Reactions: Nanuuk

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Your right, treliving bought himself some time. He gets to be a NHL GM for atleast 3-4 more years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Your right, treliving bought himself some time. He gets to be a NHL GM for atleast 3-4 more years.
I think it is more like 1 to 4 years as a Flames GM....If this new version of the Flames stumbles this season I am not sure he stays...but if they excel he will get a chance to see what happens with the conditional 1st.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So where do you expect Kadri to play?

Line 2 center?
Definitely centre.

The way the lines shake down will be unclear until training camp. There are good arguments for either him or Lindholm to play with Huberdeau.

I think you can take it to the bank that he'll be in the middle of PP1 though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Treliving's job was in jeopardy. Others may disagree but what happened with Gaudreau and Tkachuk IMO wasn't Treliving's fault. Gaudreau blindsided Treliving and Tkachuk followed the Tkachuk tradition of me first, team and teammate loyalty second or maybe third.... who knows.

In a way, maybe what happened is a good thing. In the last 4 years with Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the lineup the team just hasn't been able to get the job done in both the regular season some times and definitely in the playoffs. A change was needed... a big change... not just shuffling the deck chairs (been there done that). Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving forced the team to make that change and the fans to accept it. Nobody here would have said... "we need to make a change... lets trade Gaudreau and Tkachuk".
I look forward to this season with renewed optimism... instead of pessimism as a result of getting knocked out to the playoffs in the 2nd round once again.

I posted this in the main boards rebuild thread post #55, but I think when the Flames start to see a drop in performance, it will be the best time to drop in performance. The vast majority of teams have focused on longer term contention and have young cores that will probably start to gel or be scary in about 2-3 years time. Approximately 2/3 of the league is working on staying low and going up and the Flames sat in the top 1/3rd as it stood. No teams are looking to be working to go down in 2-3 years, but there will be a few teams that look like they will have no choice to consider it. I think... with the lottery rules in place to avoid multiple lottery wins within a short period, in 2-3 seasons, the Flames will be a great candidate to do more modern rebuild on the fly based on those rules and get that top 5 elite talent a few seasons in a row.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Khrox

May 31, 2018
So where do you expect Kadri to play?

Line 2 center?
Center for sure. Sutter likes to roll lines fairly evenly, so the difference in minutes between Kadri and Lindholm, short of a clown fiesta of special teams play, will be pretty negligible (45 seconds to 1 minute type thing).

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Definitely not a better team than last year but probably not a worst team either.

i don't see this team having any more chance at winning a Cup than we did last year or had we kept Gaudreau and Tkachuk. We are still way behind the Avs, behind the Blues in terms of quality. Right in a mix with Edmonton and LV where I could see any of the 3 winning the division in the regular season and getting out of the division to lose to the Central champs in the WCF.

Of course when people say if we win the Cup who cares, but the chances are so small and rely on so much luck for me throwing away the future wasn't really worth it, but as I have said I don't think we had a choice because the owners value money over winning.

I honestly think matching up against Dallas last year killed us. We played fine against Colorado and Edmonton during the regular season. We were just beat to shit and shot-weary having faced Dallas with a goalie playing Hasekesque.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I honestly think matching up against Dallas last year killed us. We played fine against Colorado and Edmonton during the regular season. We were just beat to shit and shot-weary having faced Dallas with a goalie playing Hasekesque.

I think it killed Markstrom specifically. He had to be near perfect against Dallas(and was) as Oettinger was putting on a show. Then in the 1st period of the 1st game against the Oilers Mike Smith lets in 3 goals in the first 5 minutes. I think he just mentally relaxed at that point and wasn't able to dial it back in after.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kadri on FAN960 today said that he had offers for more money, but he wanted to be in Calgary.
Hear this a lot about ufas… call me skeptical with this claim. I’ve heard (granted, second hand from fans) that coleman “left money on the table too”. Maybe if the different was a couple hundred grand of the like…

Friedman did say the isles offered the same amount of money which I could believe, and I do believe Kadri wanted to play in Canada.

Reactions: MM917

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hear this a lot about ufas… call me skeptical with this claim. I’ve heard (granted, second hand from fans) that coleman “left money on the table too”. Maybe if the different was a couple hundred grand of the like…

Friedman did say the isles offered the same amount of money which I could believe, and I do believe Kadri wanted to play in Canada.
Kadri could possibly be tired of playing in the USA because of all the bullshit racism he and his family had to put up with.. Not saying there aren't racists in Canada but sheer population size means there are probably at least 10x the amount of crap out there compared to what he would see in Calgary. Coming home to Canada was probably very attractive.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kadri could possibly be tired of playing in the USA because of all the bullshit racism he and his family had to put up with.. Not saying there aren't racists in Canada but sheer population size means there are probably at least 10x the amount of crap out there compared to what he would see in Calgary. Coming home to Canada was probably very attractive.
I don’t think that’s a fair way of putting it tbh, especially with some of the problems Alberta still has. I doubt he would face significantly more racism in Denver vs Calgary

I think COVID probably would’ve played a role 100%. His family is here in Canada after all

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don’t think that’s a fair way of putting it tbh, especially with some of the problems Alberta still has. I doubt he would face significantly more racism in Denver vs Calgary

I think COVID probably would’ve played a role 100%. His family is here in Canada after all
Alberta has its fair share of morons but I don't think the volume is anywhere close to what he's had to endure in the States. Yes Denver may be good for him but he wasn't gonna be playing in Denver next season. It was gonna be a choice between somewhere in the USA or Canada. I doubt covid had much of an impact on his decision since things a pretty well back to normal and even if they weren't as a Canadian he would have no problem getting back into Canada to see family..

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

7.25 to 7.5 x 7 is leaving money on the table even if it's basically a negligible difference. Perhaps he just wanted something concrete (if the NYI rumor is true) and didn't want to wait on the Isles to figure out the moves to fit him in so that he could start moving/settling in ASAP.

Kadri will deal with morons, but he knows how to handle it. TBH, he probably deals/dealt with as much if not more idiots in the Toronto area purely due to population and crazy fans and whatnot. Hockey is a community though so he likely also has as many if not more defenders in those regions than morons to deal with.

Glad to have Kadri though. I love that he's pushing the boundaries. I wish we got him earlier, but better late then never I suppose.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
From Earth (Leafs) to Ice (Avalanche) to Fire (Calgary). Calling it now, he's going to Tampa Bay within a few years :)

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
The talk was like 8.6 x 7 years but nobody is saying what team , He said it himself winning is like an addiction , he has more money than he ever dreamed of as a kid , he wants more cup rings and more money from a bottom 16 team isn't going to scratch that itch . Calgary was a top 4 team that fell short , he knows what he see's in this team and that speaks volumes in itself .

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The talk was like 8.6 x 7 years but nobody is saying what team , He said it himself winning is like an addiction , he has more money than he ever dreamed of as a kid , he wants more cup rings and more money from a bottom 16 team isn't going to scratch that itch . Calgary was a top 4 team that fell short , he knows what he see's in this team and that speaks volumes in itself .
Was it 7 years? Because I heard that was an AAV offered, but never saw the second part.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00