Not open for further replies.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hilarious and great news for Argentina... if they can't beat them in the quarters now then LOL.

In any case, the announcement probably didn't go down too well with the barca players so, that might effected them in their decision to fire him.

The table really is setting itself up for you & us to meet in the semis; with a final against Brazil awaiting the winner :yo:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This feels like the type of thing that could either completely derail their tournament or spur them to win it all. It's not like they have the easiest group in the world. Portugal can make a run in this tournament and Morocco could easily draw or even defeat them.

I'm going with the former. I've been having strange confidence in morocco going through that group, but I had assumed it was Portugal who were going to implode to let that happen...despite liking many of their young talents...turns out I was projecting that failure onto the wrong iberian national team.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The table really is setting itself up for you & us to meet in the semis; with a final against Brazil awaiting the winner :yo:
There's only one winner in that mate. I fail to see how Argentina comes out on top of Germany... only hope is a Low scandal brewing. :)

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm going with the former. I've been having strange confidence in morocco going through that group, but I had assumed it was Portugal who were going to implode to let that happen...despite liking many of their young talents...turns out I was projecting that failure onto the wrong iberian national team.

I feel like Morocco and Senegal are going to do CAF proud

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel like Morocco and Senegal are going to do CAF proud

I waffled on Senegal because I really like all three of the top teams in that group. I'm really bullish on Colombia, while Poland look like they'll be tough to keep from scoring with the way they've been playing. Plus they've got Milik coming into form, Lewa on fire, and the clever Linetty & Zielinski to create for those two strikers. With Glik missing the Colombia & Senegal games, I'm doubting the Poles, but I'm not sure I don't still think they'll squeeze past Senegal.

No matter how it actually plays out, I've got 2nd from this group beating Belgium in the round of 16.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why does it seem like every World Cup there's some major world power who had a crisis on the eve of the start of the tournament?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
There was no good reason for Lopetegui to announce before the tournament. This was a zero-tolerance power move by the Spanish FA, and I kind of respect it.

Apparently some Spain squad members heard about it (story is that Perez asked Ramos' "blessing" and the RM players just sort of spread the word, intentionally or not) and then Lopetegui just went public.

Honestly, other than the FA getting their panties in a bunch and having their ego bruised, I'm not sure I see much wrong with it.
Dozens of well-known managers announced they were leaving NTs to manage a club after a tournament, no harm no foul.

When you had both Ramos and Iniesta lobbying to keep Lopetegui, the whole thing seems pretty simple to me.
It just looks like another president of an FA putting his ego in front of the interests of the team.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apparently some Spain squad members heard about it (story is that Perez asked Ramos' "blessing" and the RM players just sort of spread the word, intentionally or not) and then Lopetegui just went public.

Honestly, other than the FA getting their panties in a bunch and having their ego bruised, I'm not sure I see much wrong with it.
Dozens of well-known managers announced they were leaving NTs to manage a club after a tournament, no harm no foul.

When you had both Ramos and Iniesta lobbying to keep Lopetegui, the whole thing seems pretty simple to me.
It just looks like another president of an FA putting his ego in front of the interests of the team.

Spain gunna spain. With the Dutch not at this World Cup, the responsibility of a team sabotaging their own title run due to infighting fell to them or the frenchies ;-)

Reactions: YNWA14 and koyvoo

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Whats the sadest place during the WC?
A Italian camp site with Dutch Campers.
Feel free to post more jokes about nations who are not qualified:naughty:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone else noticed how frequently players are asking to get the ball switched ? I feel like its occurring with an unusual frequency

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
After Corluka, now Mandzukic has retired from the NT.

Make it stop there. :(

Croatia's lack of depth at striker will be exposed now, Kalinic is probably not coming back, Santini while in good form is I think 30 right now. Not too many youngsters coming through, Perica not playing enough and Livaja is a hot head who is probably still suspended by the HNS

In terms of other players, only other one I see potentially retiring is Subasic, it appears Modric will stay on for the Euros

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Croatia's lack of depth at striker will be exposed now, Kalinic is probably not coming back, Santini while in good form is I think 30 right now. Not too many youngsters coming through, Perica not playing enough and Livaja is a hot head who is probably still suspended by the HNS

In terms of other players, only other one I see potentially retiring is Subasic, it appears Modric will stay on for the Euros

True, but at least Kramaric will get a deserved starting spot now. Though yes, the depth will be non-existant.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So quiet, so deadly, so effective. I realize he isn't quite the Xavi/Iniesta tier, but he was phenomenal for Spain.

He was always a different player for Spain than he was for City, which you can really see in his goal stats. Quietly found his way to near the top of their caps and goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: koyvoo

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lukaku will retire from international football after Euro 2020
I just did a search on him and the top 2 hits were him planning on retiring from international play, and then saying the younger generation is hungry for success because they make money at an earlier age. Pot meet kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad