World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Pretty cool feature to watch if you have some time to spare. About 11 minutes long.
TSN Original - Out of Nowhere

Cold and isolated, Iceland isn’t a natural location for cultivating great football. But using its geographic disadvantages as inspiration, they became the least populous country ever to qualify for the FIFA World Cup™. Watch Iceland’s journey in our TSN Original - Out of Nowhere.

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/video/tsn-original-out-of-nowhere~1412888

Reactions: robertmac43

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
None of this political crap belongs on this board, regardless of how tied into the German NT and WC it might be in some peoples' minds. I'm going to start hitting the report button.

I'm getting tired of it as well. I do understand that it is natural to talk about this for some time, but I'm considering not allowing it at all. Practically everyone is getting tired of reading it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Changing the subject...

Did anyone watch the Denmark versus Mexico friendly? If so, whats the report on the game?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Hmm interesting, Ill have to find some highlights.

Was it a case of Denmark looking good, or Mexico looking really bad?

I watched it live. Mexico had control the first 20 min of second half but outside of that Denmark created most of the dangerous chances throughout the game. Denmark didn't look fantastic outside of their defense which played a solid game. Chicharito was the only Mexican player that look dangerous imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Changing the subject...

Did anyone watch the Denmark versus Mexico friendly? If so, whats the report on the game?

I watched the second half off and on, and Mexico put some combinations together, but weren’t sharp enough to pierce a very good danish defense, and ended up over committing themselves. Which Eriksen & co ruthlessly punished.

Mexico really needs Lozano to shine, but they’ll also need strong tourneys from his supporting cast. There also needs to be some solution on how exactly they’re going to play in the midfield. Personally, I’d roll with both Herrera and Guardado in front of the back 3/4, with Corona wide on the right, Fabian sitting infront of the double pivot, and then Lozano with Vela or Chicha up front. Nominally a 4-2-3-1:

Vela/Chicha
Lozano - Fabian - Corona
Guardado - Herrera
Gallardo - Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo

That functions more like a 3-4-1-2/3-5-2/3-2-3-2

Lozano - Vela/Chicha
Gallardo - Fabian - Corona
Guardado - Herrera
Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo
———————————-
Vela/Chicha
Gallardo - Lozano - Fabian - Corona
Guardado - Herrera
Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo​

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would play with the first formation, with Vela in Fabian's place. Vela has pretty much never played this well and even considering it's MLS, he's scoring some world beaters that practically no keeper could stop.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would play with the first formation, with Vela in Fabian's place. Vela has pretty much never played this well and even considering it's MLS, he's scoring some world beaters that practically no keeper could stop.

Those are the same formation. Osorio nominally lists Gallardo as their LB but he pushes forward so aggressively that he plays a lot more like Corona or the widest midfielder/attacker on the right, than he does like Salcedo. With that back three shifting to the right when gallardo gets back in defense.

The biggest difference between their shapes has been whether they use Guardado & Herrera in front of that backline, or just one of them. Which plays out a little differently depending on which exact players have been used further forward. The alternatively being something that shifts between these shapes-ish:

Lozano - Chicha/Vela
Gallardo - Fabian/Vela - Corona
Guardado/Herrera
Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo
———————————
Chicha/Vela
Gallardo - Lozano - Fabian/Vela - Corona
Guardado/Herrera
Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo
———————————
Chicha/Vela
Lozano - Fabian/Vela - Corona
Guardado/Herrera
Gallardo - Moreno - Reyes - Salcedo
As for Fabian v Vela, Fabian has been their second best attacker/creator to Lozano in the matches I’ve seen. So I think it would behoove them to have him starting in the midfield with Herrera n Guardado. So I’d be debating Vela v Chicha, not Vela v Fabian.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reyes is not fit. I doubt he starts the first game. They don't have a real defensive midfielder, so I think they can't start Fabian. Too much defensive risk. Herrera, Dos Santos and Guardado will all do their defensive job, and could make up for the lack of a defensive midfielder.

Should be something like this.

------------------Ochoa---------------------
Alvarez---Salcedo---Moreno------Layun
----------------Herrera---------------------
----J. Dos Santos------Guardado--------
Vela--------Hernandez-----------Lozano

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gallardo has been one of their most consistent starters in the build-up to this tourney while Osorio has mixed it up in the midfield & attack. I'd put money on him starting at "LB"

And not starting Fabian would be a mistake. Herrera & Guardado should be enough cover to play him in the midfield...if they don't play with only one of them...but if not, then I'd take Vela or Chicha off before Fabian. He's been the one mexican creative/attacker, other than Lozano, who has consistently impressed me lately...even Corona has had some quieter outings, whereas Fabian has created danger every time.

I'd play with Lozano up front, with Corona/Vela & Fabian/Vela a little bit behind him, Guardado & Herrera sitting in front of the defense, with Layun on the right flank, & Gallardo "on the left side of the back 4"...essentially turning it into a 3-4-2-1 with Lozano leading the counters & press. At least for the match against our NT where they'll struggle a lot more for the ball, but I haven't seen Osorio play them like that...against Sweden & Korea I'd use Chicha & take off Layun.

Lozano
Fabian - Corona/Vela
- Guardado - Herrera - Layun
Gallardo - Moreno - *Reyes* - Salcedo
------------------------
Lozano
Fabian - Corona/Vela
Gallardo - Guardado - Herrera - Layun
- Moreno - *Reyes* - Salcedo
Speaking of, isn't Reyes back in training and on track to be fit for the second game, and maybe even the opener? If not replace him, but it's easier for me to use him as a placeholder there pending fitness.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
So, which of the seeded sides don’t make it to the knockout to the knockout round?

I think Poland could get pipped by Columbia and Senegal. The Poles had a bit of a leaky defense in qualifying and their group seems pretty open.

Glik is banged up going into the tourney which is concerning. I just don’t think Lewandowski can carry them.

I would not be surprised to see Senegal take points from them in the opening match.

Russia would be another. I guess that one would depend on Saleh for Egypt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm expecting Colombia to top that group and Poland v Senegal is a huge toss up for me. Senegal has a really talented attacking trio and a number of good tough DMs & CBs behind them, with the elegant Koulibaly leading the way in the defense. Lewy, Linetty, Zielinksi & co. are no joke though...as long as Glik is fit...so I can see any of these three teams winning the group and thumping England or Tunisia in the round of 16.

If we don't win, I think I'm rooting for Senegal . Having to watch Putin congratulate a bunch of black guys for winning his Russian World Cup, would be amazing. Plus, if their stars get hot, they could play some attractive football while doing it...either that or for Messi to finally shut folks up.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Senegal have the worst manager/coach in this WC by far. Can they overcome that to get anywhere in this WC? I doubt it.

Do they? I don't follow african qualifying, but they looked pretty tough against the ball in what I saw of the Croatia friendly. And Mane, Balde & Sarr doing work on the counter doesn't require too great of coaching if they defend well.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Do they? I don't follow african qualifying, but they looked pretty tough against the ball in what I saw of the Croatia friendly. And Mane, Balde & Sarr doing work on the counter doesn't require too great of coaching if they defend well.

I mostly have in mind the 1/4 finals of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations when he had his team lined up against a C-tier Cameroon side, who were literally crapping their pants on the field, and he couldn't find a way to engineer a goal against them. By all accounts, it was a similar story in qualifying against weaker teams, he was basically getting less with more.

But as you say, it could be a different when they're lining up against stronger teams who will carry the play.

Reactions: cgf

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Changing the subject...

I watched the whole game, Denmark looked good in their own end, and ok up front, and Mexico looked absolute shit in their own end - Especially Eriksens goal was a massive defensive blunder. could have been 3 even 4 nothing with that defense.

Mexico dissapointed me.

Denmarks backline had control of Mexico, so they didn't really get to any chances either.

They had more possession, only slightly, but no sog.

Btw, the whole match is on yt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad