World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Cojones grandes by the RFEF, and justified too. Imagine keeping such negotiations secret from your employer :help:

Literally every person I know (including myself) goes on job interviews etc in secret, only notifying the employer when they decide to leave.

There've been loads and loads of cases where national team managers/coaches were leaving after the tournament to manage clubs, so if its just that the FA's ego is bruised, I don't think its the right call.
(whether that was something else to it, it's just conjecture at this point... apparently he had told the RM players but not the others, etc.)

Dunno... Either way, not the best timing for Spain.
They're 52 hours and 50 minutes away from their game against Portugal. It's almost funny.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Literally every person I know (including myself) goes on job interviews etc in secret, only notifying the employer when they decide to leave.

There've been loads and loads of cases where national team managers/coaches were leaving after the tournament to manage clubs, so if its just that the FA's ego is bruised, I don't think its the right call.
(whether that was something else to it, it's just conjecture at this point... apparently he had told the RM players but not the others, etc.)

Dunno... Either way, not the best timing for Spain.
They're 52 hours and 50 minutes away from their game against Portugal. It's almost funny.
True, but you are not the head coach of a national football team.

Whilst I agree it probably isn't the best decision by the RFEF, I do admire them standing up for themselves.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hilarious and great news for Argentina... if they can't beat them in the quarters now then LOL.

In any case, the announcement probably didn't go down too well with the barca players so, that might effected them in their decision to fire him.

Reactions: cgf

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
This feels like the type of thing that could either completely derail their tournament or spur them to win it all. It's not like they have the easiest group in the world. Portugal can make a run in this tournament and Morocco could easily draw or even defeat them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, there's no way they win it all now. The players at least the Madrid based ones wanted him to stay. Hence, why he wasn't immediately sacked. What is weird is why didn't they have the assistant take over. He knows the system and how the players have been asked to play.

This fellow Hierro has next to ZERO experience.

Sidenote, calling on @The Abusement Park to allow me to make alterations in my bracket which is the real tragedy here. I had Spain winning it all.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, there's no way they win it all now. The players at least the Madrid based ones wanted him to stay. Hence, why he wasn't immediately sacked. What is weird is why didn't they have the assistant take over. He knows the system and how the players have been asked to play.

This fellow Hierro has next to ZERO experience.

Sidenote, calling on @The Abusement Park to allow me to make alterations in my bracket which is the real tragedy here. I had Spain winning it all.

Idk if you can make changes :eyeroll: which is dumb imo.

Reactions: cgf

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm with @Corto on this one. Seems like the Spanish FA completely overreacted to something that happens often enough, and they're spitefully hurting their own team. Also, I work in an industry where this is normal (almost expected) with high turnover, so it seems very odd unless I'm missing part of the picture.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have Spain in the final and losing.... let’s just hope that the coaching change doesn’t have a huge effect on how they play.

Who am I kidding it will.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
There was no good reason for Lopetegui to announce before the tournament. This was a zero-tolerance power move by the Spanish FA, and I kind of respect it.

Yes, but on the other hand it was probably out of his control and RM wanted to make the announcement ASAP for potential transfer reasons. No employee is going to disclose that they are interviewing for another job before they get an actual offer, and it sounds like he informed the Spanish FA once he got the position and likely had no control over it being announced by RM.

I know it's a little more complicated with the Spanish FA/RM/Barca dynamic, but this just seems petty from the FA to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->