World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
By the way, Argentina have named their first "new" squad after the WC, they play some friendlies in early September. As expected most of the WC guys are gone, I think only about 9 players remain.

Franco Armani (River)
Sergio Romero (Man Utd)
Geronimo Rulli (Real Sociedad)

Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla)
Nico Tagliafico (Ajax)
Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal)
German Pezzella (Fiorentina)
Fabricio Bustos (Independiente)
Marcos Acuna (Sporting Club)
Eduardo Salvio (Benfica)
Alan Franco (Independiente)
Leonel Di Placido (Lanus)
Walter Kannemann (Gremio)

Rodrigo Battaglia (Sporting Club)
Giovani Lo Celso (PSG)
Leandro Paredes (Zenit)
Santiago Ascacibar (Stuttgart)
Gonzalo Martinez (River)
Exequiel Palacios (River)
Franco Vazquez (Sevilla)
Matias Vargas (Velez Sarsfield)
Franco Cervi (Benfica)
Maximiliano Meza (Independiente)

Cristian Pavon (Boca)
Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid)
Giovanni Simeone (Fiorentina)
Paulo Dybala (Juventus)
Lautaro Martinez (Inter)
Mauro Icardi (Inter)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
as usual alot of players from argentine league....hmmm

the best players should play and they are not in the argentine league, just a bunch of average guys

brazil do the same thing

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Argentina could be a real scary team if they moved Messi into midfield and played a diamond.

Paredes
Messi - Ascacibar
Martinez
Icardi - Dybala​

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
cbf2.jpg

Tite has called some new faces and some not so new. Really liked Pedro, Paqueta and Everton selections. Paqueta is the best midfielder I've seen in Brazil in the past few years, he just took off when his coach played him at central midfielder oppose to his natural winger/n.10 role.

not a fan of Andreas Pereira, but at least it will keep him cap tied if he ever reaches his potential.

Everton 'Cebolinha' is one of my favorite players in Brazil. Winger with pace, creativity and incredible dribbling skills.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
By the way, Argentina have named their first "new" squad after the WC, they play some friendlies in early September. As expected most of the WC guys are gone, I think only about 9 players remain.

Franco Armani (River)
Sergio Romero (Man Utd)
Geronimo Rulli (Real Sociedad)

Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla)
Nico Tagliafico (Ajax)
Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal)
German Pezzella (Fiorentina)
Fabricio Bustos (Independiente)
Marcos Acuna (Sporting Club)
Eduardo Salvio (Benfica)
Alan Franco (Independiente)
Leonel Di Placido (Lanus)
Walter Kannemann (Gremio)

Rodrigo Battaglia (Sporting Club)
Giovani Lo Celso (PSG)
Leandro Paredes (Zenit)
Santiago Ascacibar (Stuttgart)
Gonzalo Martinez (River)
Exequiel Palacios (River)
Franco Vazquez (Sevilla)
Matias Vargas (Velez Sarsfield)
Franco Cervi (Benfica)
Maximiliano Meza (Independiente)

Cristian Pavon (Boca)
Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid)
Giovanni Simeone (Fiorentina)
Paulo Dybala (Juventus)
Lautaro Martinez (Inter)
Mauro Icardi (Inter)

Funny, That squad could give the WC squad a run for their money.

as usual alot of players from argentine league....hmmm

the best players should play and they are not in the argentine league, just a bunch of average guys

brazil do the same thing

Yeah, the AFA have that problem but to be fair this is an experimental side... the likes of Simeone (who's in Europe) deserve no place near the actual squad.

member 305909

cbf2.jpg

Tite has called some new faces and some not so new. Really liked Pedro, Paqueta and Everton selections. Paqueta is the best midfielder I've seen in Brazil in the past few years, he just took off when his coach played him at central midfielder oppose to his natural winger/n.10 role.

not a fan of Andreas Pereira, but at least it will keep him cap tied if he ever reaches his potential.

Everton 'Cebolinha' is one of my favorite players in Brazil. Winger with pace, creativity and incredible dribbling skills.

I'm surprised he didn't get sacked after the disappointing WC.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I'm surprised he didn't get sacked after the disappointing WC.

Can't fire a coach every time you don't win it all... he sure didn't have the best WC, but he's been pretty good for the NT. Giving him a full WC cycle is the right decision, imo.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia name their squad tomorrow but it will be full of changes after three retirements (Mandzukic, Subasic, Corluka), couple of injuries (Lovren, Kramaric) and Strinic who is forced to sit out due to a heart issue the Milan medical team discovered. Strinic himself says its not serious but they are being very cautious about it especially after the Astori situation. Will be interesting to see which young players are brought in, I personally don't see the League of Nations being too important other than prestige, more important to use the next couple months to build a team for the start of Euro 2020 qualifying

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
17 of the 23 Croatian players from the World Cup are named to their first post-WC squad. Three players retired (Subasic, Corluka and Mandzukic); Strinic is out of football for the moment with a heart issue; Nikola Kalinic is still out of the picture after walking out on the team; Caleta-Car will be 'loaned' to the U21s who have an important qualifier

Marko Livaja is the only complete new face on the team, first ever call up after some good performances in the past 2 seasons with AEK Athens, however he has had discipline issues in the past, refused call-ups in his U21s days. Also Karlo Letica (Brugge), Borna Barisic (Rangers), Matej Mitrovic (Brugge), Antonio Milic (Anderlecht), Mario Pasalic (Atalanta), Marko Rog (Napoli) and Ivan Santini (Anderlecht) all return to the NT after not being selected to the World Cup...a lot of Belgian league players :D

Already Rangers fans are infiltrating the HNS twitter feed :D

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
AFA have identified Poch and wait for it... Tata as targets for the managerial spot. Hilarious not even sure which option I find funnier? The guy that has continuously said no to their advances or their ex. Reeks of desperation tbh. Next week they'll be targeting Simeone.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Martinez has announced his first Belgium squad after the WC. De Bruyne and Januzaj are injured, they will be the only ones absent from the WC squad. Benteke has been recalled as well.

Four players will get a chance to make their international debut. Atalanta wingback Timothy Castagne, Gent holding midfielder Birger Verstraete (no idea why he's been called up), Club Brugge playmaker Hans Vanaken, and Genk winger Leandro Trossard who IMO should have been called up way sooner already.

We play at Scotland on the 7th than at Iceland on the 11th

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
They have decided to forfeit the players instead.

Denmark are playing with a team of amateurs from the Danish 3rd and 4th tier leagues, sprinkled with a few players from the futsal nt.

Also a new coach for these games.

I was gonna see the Croatia games, Germany-France, etc...
But I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on this, what. a. sh?tshow. :D

Reactions: QuietContrarian

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
They have decided to forfeit the players instead.

Denmark are playing with a team of amateurs from the Danish 3rd and 4th tier leagues, sprinkled with a few players from the futsal nt.

Also a new coach for these games.

Why did they decide to go so deep into the talent pool?

If the starters don’t want to play, go with the second rate guys.

Or are those guys supporting the boycott?

I find it difficult to believe that they can’t scrape up enough pros willing to go, even if mediocre.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Why did they decide to go so deep into the talent pool?

If the starters don’t want to play, go with the second rate guys.

Or are those guys supporting the boycott?

I find it difficult to believe that they can’t scrape up enough pros willing to go, even if mediocre.

Not sure it can be pros due to the sponsor disagreement etc. Some are probably supporting the players.
And I assume most don't want to dress in a NT jersey and proceed to be spanked by Slovakia and Wales in front of all Europe to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad