Value of: Nathan MacKinnon

Mar 26, 2010
MacK is not a better player than McJesus. You can make the contract argument all you want but as far as talent and skill level goes, no one touches McDavid.

That said, it would take a monumental overpayment for the Avs to consider moving MacK after the season he just had. They wouldn't be looking for "even trades". They'd be looking for a team to blow their socks off with an offer. There just isn't that many teams that can put together a package like this.
McDavid is so overrated. I am not saying that he is not a good player, because he is. There are a handful of other players in the NHL that are just as good as him if not better.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
McDavid is so overrated. I am not saying that he is not a good player, because he is. There are a handful of other players in the NHL that are just as good as him if not better.
Yeah, he only has two 100+ points seasons, a Hart, two Art Rosses, two Ted Lindsays at the age of 21. Sure. Just like a handful of other players in the league, or not.

Two Art Ross trophies in the first three seasons hasn’t been accomplished since Gretzky. A year ago a reasonable case could have been made that Crosby was at Mcdavid’s level. At this point, no one is close. He scored like 20 more EV points than any other player in the league this year.

And don’t bring up team success. He doesn’t get almost any help from his team. Without McDavid, Edmonton is a bottom-3 team.

Reactions: 99664987 and 780il

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the team would keep the player that sells more tickets/jerseys and has a bigger off and on ice impact and be happy paying him 6m ish more. Anyone saying Mackinnon is more valuable than the best player in the world for the next 8 years and at 2 years younger than Mack. Dont get me wrong, hes a hell of player and im a big fan but Mcdavid is on a level of his own.
You aren't factoring in market location here. Of course McDavid is going to sell more jerseys and be more marketable in Edmonton compared to MacKinnon in Colorado, where hockey could be the 4th most popular sport in any given year depending on how the NBA and MLB teams do, and will forever be behind the NFL team. McDavid has no other sport to compete with.

Obviously he's the better player than MacKinnon, but market plays a huge factor in selling tickets/jerseys, too. McDavid or no McDavid, Edmonton is likely selling out.
Haha i wouldnt do matthews never mind rielly as well. Funny stuff
That's definitely not the package.
Yeah... no. The guy is on a level of his own.

Reactions: MacBradley

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
He isn’t worth McDavid, that’s insane.

But his value is sky high rn, we will see if that holds up after this season
MacK's individual value may not be as high but IMO his team value is. He got his team into the playoffs whereas McD didn't.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I like how McDavid is mentioned as overrated when he won b2b scoring trophies...and was voted best by the players twice. One season after Mack was considered a disappointment after b2b 50 point seasons now he's the most untouchable man on earth and worth more than McDavid because of his contract? I know it was a great season and all but 1 great year out of 5 isn't exactly all that proven. No one's giving Giroux so much credit when the guy was 2nd in scoring last year.

Reactions: 780il

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only guy crazy enough to put together an offer that the Avs would even begin to entertain would be Brian Burke, but he isn’t currently employed. So...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
MATTHEWS AND RIELLY???

I WOULDN'T GIVE U MATTHEWS ALONE

U CRAZY?

Haha i wouldnt do matthews never mind rielly as well. Funny stuff

Undetermined contract on a young star when you just signed Tavares for 11m/season - for another young star @6.3M for five years. Tbh you'd be stupid NOT to consider Matthews for MacK. If Matthews comes out commanding over 10M you're going to be severely hamstrung until the cap rises another 5M or more. I also have doubts that Matthews projects much more than (if ever) a 10 point spread on Mac - and those 10 points are not going to be worth 3.7-5M cap difference. I could understand the resentment if both players were at the same dollar amount though.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Undetermined contract on a young star when you just signed Tavares for 11m/season - for another young star @6.3M for five years. Tbh you'd be stupid NOT to consider Matthews for MacK. If Matthews comes out commanding over 10M you're going to be severely hamstrung until the cap rises another 5M or more. I also have doubts that Matthews projects much more than (if ever) a 10 point spread on Mac - and those 10 points are not going to be worth 3.7-5M cap difference. I could understand the resentment if both players were at the same dollar amount though.

I dont care if it costs 20 mil matthews is untouchable. There is no package id trade him for. I wouldnt even do macd. I think edmonton is ruining his soul. 6foot 3 generational center ( guys his size dont shoot the way he does, generational suck it hf) mack had a great year, is on a great contract and im happy colorods 1 pick worked out for them.i get why they wont move him, i wouldnt either but matthews is a tier above when all is said and done.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
As good as Marner is no way so I consider him as the core piece for Mackinnon. There are very few players in the league that I would consider, so it's not really a knock on Marner it's more just how good MacKinnon is.
Marner has outproduced Mackinnon through the first 2 years of their careers, and it's not like Marner plays with Matthews either. Marner's potential is just as high

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
I dont care if it costs 20 mil matthews is untouchable. There is no package id trade him for. I wouldnt even do macd. I think edmonton is ruining his soul. 6foot 3 generational center ( guys his size dont shoot the way he does, generational suck it hf) mack had a great year, is on a great contract and im happy colorods 1 pick worked out for them.i get why they wont move him, i wouldnt either but matthews is a tier above when all is said and done.

Good thing you're not the Leaf's GM then.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
From the 2 teams I follow:

Schmaltz + Boqvist + 1st
Wennberg + Werenski + 1st

as a base.. he is insanely valuable right now

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

This right here is why Leafs fans are so strongly disliked on these boards, having to read this garbage every day from countless different posters is frustrating to know end.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This right here is why Leafs fans are so strongly disliked on these boards, having to read this garbage every day from countless different posters is frustrating to know end.
f***, there’s a solid five dozen such people on here. It makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I’m a dedicated Leafs fan, and I still occasionally find myself hoping for our team/players to fail after reading the outrageous bullshit these guys spew. I pray that we will win the cup next season, but know that this site will literally die if we do.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Careful. Variety of opinions are frowned upon here.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
McDavid and Mack just had equal seasons PPG wise.

One makes half as much.

Anyone saying McDavid is clearly better than Mack is lying

Based off last season they were equal. Assuming Mack keeps it up....he is more valuable because of that great contract.

6 mil for a 100 point player is the best value in the league

Reactions: DanM

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
lmao.. leaf fans doing leaf fan things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad