Value of: Nathan MacKinnon

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
market value aside (being that he's one of the more valuable pieces in the league at the moment), what return would make Colorado think their team was improving as a result of trading him? Seems like a very short list of young guys at the same position to me

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
market value aside (being that he's one of the more valuable pieces in the league at the moment), what return would make Colorado think their team was improving as a result of trading him? Seems like a very short list of young guys at the same position to me
We would need a replacement 1C coming back for him, which would likely go against the idea of trading for him to bolster your center depth. And then we would need some sizeable additions to this 1C, as MacKinnon’s contract is one of the best in the NHL right now, and giving up that cap advantage isn’t something any team would prefer to do.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We would need a replacement 1C coming back for him, which would likely go against the idea of trading for him to bolster your center depth. And then we would need some sizeable additions to this 1C, as MacKinnon’s contract is one of the best in the NHL right now, and giving up that cap advantage isn’t something any team would prefer to do.
ya, seems like the trade value that make MacKinnon tradeable is also something that the other team wouldn't give up, I really don't see a way he would get traded right now

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs: Matthews & Rielly

Kings: Muzzin & Kopitar

Blues: Pietrangelo, & Tarasenko

Pens: Guentzel, Sprong, & signed Kessel ( Although may not work due to no centre going back).

Oilers: McDavid

Preds: Subban & Forsberg

Caps: Kuzy & Orlov at minimum.

Dallas: Seguin& Nichushkin at minimum.

I'm guessing on what Sakic would ask back. Some aren't centers.
MATTHEWS AND RIELLY???

I WOULDN'T GIVE U MATTHEWS ALONE

U CRAZY?

Reactions: marty111

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
He isnt in as big of markets, but he is in the same realm to the Avs as Matthews, McDavid, and Eichel are to their respective teams.

He is arguably the best player in the world after this past season. I personally and many would give the edge to McDavid. Definitely McDavid when you add in the value his name brings to tickets, jersey sales, etc... But the argument is valid and can be made.

Adding in MacKinnons contract in the discussions makes him a slam dunk as the most valuable player in the league IMO.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He isnt in as big of markets, but he is in the same realm to the Avs as Matthews, McDavid, and Eichel are to their respective teams.

He is arguably the best player in the world after this past season. I personally and many would give the edge to McDavid. Definitely McDavid when you add in the value his name brings to tickets, jersey sales, etc... But the argument is valid and can be made.

Adding in MacKinnons contract in the discussions makes him a slam dunk as the most valuable player in the league IMO.

100%. He is the bettter player.

These could be fun to bump later

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
His value is close to McDavid's due to the contractual differences. If Nathan MacKinnon can consistently stay a ~90-95 point centre, and that's a big "IF" because he only has one season of 70+ points during his five year career, then one has to wonder what a GM would prefer: MacKinnon at 6.3M long term, or McDavid at 12.5M long term getting you ~110 points.

Is the, let's say, 20 point gap really worth the 6.2M difference in cap hits?

Note, I'm not saying McDavid doesn't deserve his money. He does. Just that MacKinnon has such a team friendly contract and really should be making a lot more.
I think the team would keep the player that sells more tickets/jerseys and has a bigger off and on ice impact and be happy paying him 6m ish more. Anyone saying Mackinnon is more valuable than the best player in the world for the next 8 years and at 2 years younger than Mack. Dont get me wrong, hes a hell of player and im a big fan but Mcdavid is on a level of his own.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
The better player part is arguable, but not the value.

McDavid at $12.5 vs MacKinnon at $6.3. Its not even remotely close.
Mackinnon after 5 years in the league:
One 90+ points season, the other ones are beneath 65.
One Calder.

Connor Mcdavid after 3 years in the league:
Two 100+ points seasons
Two Art Ross,
Two Ted Lindsay
One Hart.
He also easily would have won the Calder if not for his injury.

Come on. Until Mackinnon further elevates his game and is consistent in getting 100+ points, this isn’t close at all.

Reactions: dim jim and Grabner

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why would the AVS trade their 22 yo franchise center? He's carrying the entire AVS offense and he's signed to a team friendly deal for the next 5 years.

He's not available.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
The avs arent moving him and for good reason. Imo he was the 2nd best player behind Mcdavid last year and his contract is insanely good for how he played last year. If he keeps playing this year like he did last season then we will be having a serious conversation about him being a top5 player in the world.
Top 3 underpaid player in the world like you said his contract becomes insane if he keeps up

Reactions: 99664987 and 780il

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Mackinnon can replicate what he did last year again this year and hits say ~105 points I don't think there's a player in the league I'd trade him for. Not even McDavid. Mack at 6.3M for 5 more years is worth more then McDavid at 12.5M in a cap world.

We don't know if MacKinnon will repeat next year or not(I really think he can/will) but no doubt Joe Sakic isnt even thinking about trading him for anything at all at this point.

Reactions: Ararana

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
100%. He is the bettter player.

MacK is not a better player than McJesus. You can make the contract argument all you want but as far as talent and skill level goes, no one touches McDavid.

That said, it would take a monumental overpayment for the Avs to consider moving MacK after the season he just had. They wouldn't be looking for "even trades". They'd be looking for a team to blow their socks off with an offer. There just isn't that many teams that can put together a package like this.

Reactions: 780il and Grabner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad